Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

650 03' 04' 05'

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  DonRich90 
#1 ·
Hi all, Im looking to purchase a 650 and was wondering what the difference is between the 03 04 05 models. The dealers have all year models available with 0 miles. the only thing is the price. the older the model the cheaper it is. What changes were made to the 650 during those 3 years. Thanks .... Jack

#3 ·
Jack from NYC

My name is Jack and im 39. I live in New York City. I havent ridden in at least 15 years and im getting the itch again. Ive been riding dirt bikes since i was a kid and then had a few bullet bikes and 2 harleys. I stopped riding after I got cutoff by an illegal U Turn from a parking space with no warning by some old lady. I was going to get another Harley but I dont think I want to be so Extreme. I was even contemplating getting both if the mrs. would let, but from what i see here i may be happy with this scooter. Great Forum!

#5 ·
Jack,

Welcome to Burgman USA. There were minor upgrades from '03 to '04. Details are in the thread I previously provided. The overdrive on the '05 will be nice, if it actually comes through on the US models. But I love riding my '03. I'd think that if the price is right, you'd be happy with either an '03 or an '04. The issue is resale of course. You would certainly want more than a token discount if you buy a leftover. These are very versatile machines, and they are a lot of fun to ride. And, there is this forum - which makes owning a Burgman even more fun!

#7 ·
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Jack. Glad to have you join us. The Burgman is a great 'get back on the road' machine. It was my first choice after being away from riding for 16 years. Even though you have (like I did) years of ridong experience, I highly suggest taking the MSF rider course to refresh your skills. I consider it a worthwhile investment in time and money. Sure ... a lot of it will be old stuff to you. But you'll probably pick an item or 2 you've forgotten or didn't know.

#10 ·
pauljo said:
See this thread for changes from '03 to '04. We don't know for sure about the '05 yet, but it is rumored to have overdrive.

Burgman 650 changes
According to my factory manual, the automatic transmission ratios go from 1.8 to 1 up to .456 to 1. That looks to me like overdrive or am I missing something here?

#11 ·
Wes said:
According to my factory manual, the automatic transmission ratios go from 1.8 to 1 up to .456 to 1. That looks to me like overdrive or am I missing something here?
It also depends on what effect the final drive has on overall ratio. To have overdrive, you'd need the overall ratio to be less than 1:1. At higher cruising speeds, the current Burgman 650 does not have the relaxed rpm rate that it should have with overdrive. It sure doesn't feel like an overdrive to me - and the severe drop in mileage at cruise speeds of 80 mph does not correspond with overdrive.

#12 ·
pauljo said:
Wes said:
It also depends on what effect the final drive has on overall ratio. To have overdrive, you'd need the overall ratio to be less than 1:1. At higher cruising speeds, the current Burgman 650 does not have the relaxed rpm rate that it should have with overdrive. It sure doesn't feel like an overdrive to me - and the severe drop in mileage at cruise speeds of 80 mph does not correspond with overdrive.
I just went back to "The Book" and find that the final drive overall ratio is 1.58 so that would make the overall ratio 0.7347 which is still quite well over drive.

#15 ·
I just came from the deal who will have delivery of an 05 in 2 weeks. minor changer like , yes overdrive, the turn signal lenses are white now and the color of the instrumentation . Id like to get an 05 and he will give it over for $6,500. or i can buy a new 03 for $4,700 and just change the turn lenses to white.. hmmm decisions decisions...

#16 ·
Wes said:
All I wanted was to know if the 05 has an overdrive that the 04 doesn't. Have we found that out yet?
I really don't think so. You'd need the specs for an '05 too in order to see if they are different. And Suzuki is promoting "Overdrive" as a new feature. So I'm thinking something has changed, probably involving even taller gearing under certain conditions.

On my V-Strom, both 5th & 6th gears are technically overdrives. 6th gear is of no use below 70 mph. But at 75 or 80 mph in 6th, the engine is spinning 1300 rpm slower than the Burgman's engine at that speed - and the 1000cc V-Strom gets better mileage than the 650cc Burgman at those speeds. The current Burgman is like the V-Strom in 5th - the '05 might be getting the cvt equivalent of that V-Strom 6th gear. We will know pretty soon.

#17 ·
CJM said:
I just came from the deal who will have delivery of an 05 in 2 weeks. minor changer like , yes overdrive, the turn signal lenses are white now and the color of the instrumentation . Id like to get an 05 and he will give it over for $6,500. or i can buy a new 03 for $4,700 and just change the turn lenses to white.. hmmm decisions decisions...
Keep us informed. The two dealers I have been talking to say the '05 650s will be delivered in March.

#18 ·
I think the NYC dealers may get it in earlier than the others. Also I cant understand why an 05 would come out after jan05 by 3 months. I have another dilema guys. I was originally going to purchase a harley road king and buy a burg 650 as a second scooter. my wife now advised me she will not let me have two. what do i do

#19 ·
CJM said:
I have another dilema guys. I was originally going to purchase a harley road king and buy a burg 650 as a second scooter. my wife now advised me she will not let me have two. what do i do
So, what kind of answer are you expecting from this forum? :lol:

Seriously, the Burgman is a more versatile machine at a bunch less money. If you are buying something to ride a lot - buy the Burgman. If you need to pose - consider the Harley. Truth is though, the Burgman attracts attention at road stops more than any motorcycle I've owned.

#22 ·
The 650 is a scooter that tops out at 115 and will do 0 - 60 in under 7 seconds. How much "more power" do you really need???

#24 ·
Well... you could always fit a nitrous oxide bottle... There was a Silverwing at Scootercade that was equipped with one (current owner doesn't use it though).

I mentioned that to the service manager at the dealership.

He said "I know what you're thinking - DON'T DO IT!"

Seriously, the 650 is very quick on the road - you'll run away from those Harley's at the stoplight's, and on any road with curves in it. Although I still own a more powerful motorcycle, I never feel that the 650 is underpowered. On the other hand, if they want to toss in another 10 horsepower before I buy my next one - I'd take it! :twisted:

#25 ·
you seem ver knowlegable around here. what do you think. the guy with the black 650 04 for sale. what do you think is the right price and do you think i should just pay the 6500 and get the 05? i think $5000 is the right price. whats your opinion.

#26 ·
What I think is that the prices you are quoting are not real.

According to the NADA Blue Book, average retail for a 2003 Burgman 650 is $5,865. That's with no accessories. That's also pre-owned with some miles on it. MSRP on a new 2005 650 is $7,799 per Suzuki's website. No dealer is likely to sell a new '05 for $6,500 or a new '03 for $4,700.

2003 AN650 used value as of 11/25/04

2005 AN650 MSRP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.