Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself pretty handy when it comes to working on cars, so I thought I would do the 600 mile service my burgman myself. This has turned in to an adventure, including adjusting the valves four times now. With the previous three adjustments I was never quite sure if I correctly positioned the piston at TDC. This afternoon I went at it again and I'm absolutly positive the piston was at TDC. I adjusted the intake valves to .003 and the exhaust valves to .007. My concern is I can hear a slight tappet noise that wasn't there before I started this adventure. Should I be concerned? Any input would be appreciated and in case you are wondering I have read every spool concering TDC. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
You may have read that, all things being equal, it’s better to have a bit of tappet noise noise than none at all, as none can imply insufficient lash.

Not having heard the before and after on your bike, nor having checked the clearance myself, I can't say that are your good and done.

I suggest you read up on how to properly use a feeler gauge, it’s a bit of a feel thing to get the drag correct, and to make sure the gauge is perpendicular to the measured surfaces at *all* times.

Why have you adjusted the valves four times?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hey, Chumly:

What kind of dog is that in your avatar?

He has a Newfy expression, but it's too dark to see for sure and there are lots of black breeds.

Currently owned by my 6th Newf,

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a Chow named Daizey.

6th Newf!
That's perhaps up to 60 years or more of Newfs?
What's the tongue lash adjustment interval on the big Newfs?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Chumly said:
It's a Chow named Daizey.

6th Newf!
That's perhaps up to 60 years or more of Newfs?
What's the tongue lash adjustment interval on the big Newfs?
We lost a couple that were fairly young. Current boy is 4.5 yrs.

And we call it "tongue splash" not lash. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've posted a picture of him as a pup, somewhere on the forum. I'll see if I can find it for you. 8)

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a very substantial and fine looking beast!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Chumly said:
That is a very substantial and fine looking beast!
And he was only 13 weeks old at the time the picture was taken.....

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
hi LSSU96, The slight tappet noise your are hearing may be the fuel injector which can be mistakenly construed as valve noise. I heard it after my valve adjustment and after using a mechanics stethescope (screwdriver about 24" long) positioned with the handle against my ear and the other against the cam cover, decided the mechanical noise coming from there was not excessive. With all the covers and tupperware back in place and the seat in the closed position, all sounds normal. Abount once a week after a ride with everything at normal operating temperature, I'll put the Burgy on the center stand on the driveway and listen to the engine operating after removing my helmet and earplugs. Happy to report all is well, everything works like it's supposed to and nothing has fallen off. Neal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eltee and Chumly for your input. Chumly I took your advice and did some more research on how to properly adjust the valves. I found a very informative website which I posted below. I tore everything down again last night to double check my adjustment and everything was correct. However, since I have done this several times now I have ruined the cylinder head gasket and it is leaking oil big time. I ordered a replacement online and should be up and going before next weekends holiday. To answer your question as to why I had checked them four times, lack of confidence. Thanks again.

http://www.dansmc.com/

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check the thread called "Oil Leaking - HELP!" to make sure you have not misplaced the rubber washer for the large center head cover bolt. The same happened to me and it drove me (& Norm) nuts trying to figure out why it was leaking.

You sound like a very smart guy, and it's probably not a lack of confidence at all, but just that you want to make sure things are done right, I feel the same way about the Burg 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi LSSU96,

How long did it take for you to complete the valve adjustment?

I ordered service manual, and thinking to do that by myself, but I am just curious whether it's too difficult and time comsuming task for me or not.

And any advise/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what happens if one simply ignores the usual 4000 mile valve adjustment? Isnt it quite possible that many people do? What damage would it cause? I think tomorrow is the day i have to make up my mind on either the majesty or the burg400...and its down to this valve issue. So please answer the above if you know!! Anyway, I was at allaire state park in new jersey yesterday and there i seen a brand new burg400 in blue. Looked very nice! Does the passenger backrest come with the bike?

·
Registered
13 Posts
600 mile tappett adjustment

When I picked up my new Burman 400 last Friday I asked the dealer service manager about the necessity of checking the valve clearance at 600 miles. He stated that when a scooter comes in for the first service they always perform the check but have yet to find a situation where the valve clearance was out of spec. He recommended that I change the oil and filter and torque the exhaust fasteners and forget the valves. I'm comfortable performing the check myself so I may go ahead and do it anyway. I only have 200+ miles on the bike and I really like it so far.

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts