Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I know this topic has been touched on in different threads. I was hoping someone could consoladate this for me.

I hit 600 miles this weekend (WOHOO! :headbang: ) and I need to take it in to get serviced. I will be doing it at the dealership, as I am mostly thumbs.

Anywho, my questions:

1) What all should I expect, request and/or demand to have done at this servicing?

2) I recalled reading something about the manual listing the wrong oil. What should they use?

3) Do I need to reset the oil change light or will it do it automatically?

4) How fast do you think I can put the next 400 miles on it? Once I get past 1000 miles, I want to see what she can really do! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
#1 I can't really respond other then check your manual, talk with the service manager,they should know, if you have any concerns now's the time.
#2 don't know anything about the manual listing wrong oil (is there such a thing) you want and they will use the top grade oil in a viscosity for your area (down here I use 20 W 50 in the summer) up north I would think 20 W 30 or there about's.
#3 In a lot less time then the first 600 took. :lol:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Service on the 400

Ok then,

Basically you are going to get the engine filter and oil changed. They are going to do the "tappets" so make sure this gets done because the valve clearances will be on the tight side. This may take them 4-5 hours if the mechanics have never done it before. Remember to ask them if they have a current service manual because the 2004 model manual was not available until recently. If you give it to a dealer, hope that they have some experience with your model. Costs? Expect 4-5 hours shop time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oil?

I forgot to address the oil issue. The engine oil is simple...Suzuki recommends any SG rated 10W-40 or 10W-50. The transmission contains 80/90W GL rated gear oil and this maybe where the manual is incorrect. I remember some people chatting about this regarding the 650's transmission and the confusion with this manual. Not so with the 400. The 400's transmission is not changed in the first service anyway. Check your owner's manual and you'll see the transmission oil is changed at about 12K.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
DO change the Trans. oil. I changed all my fluids on my 400 @ 500 miles and my 650 at 200 miles. You will see shavings in both (engin and Trans.) from break-in, this is normal. I believe the trans. and engine oil are the same in the 400, so if you only do 1 you still have the old oil mixing with the new. There will be a difference in performance. Change early on and again at 600 miles. Your Scoot will be a lot happier.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bumping this up. Dropping my bike off tonight. Just hit 900 miles and only now getting 1st service :shock: . I feel like a bad dad, but I did call before I hit 600 miles. Man they are busy. Anyway, any last minutes tips on what I should be looking for as far as what needs to be done to my baby?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
As mine is still in the shop for it's 600 miles service (so I'm missing riding it), might I suggest a visit to the doc for some anti-depressants. It's a bummer being Burgmanless.

Bill
Burgmanless in Tennessee
"Burning up the fuel in a cage"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey all you experienced service guys....
What parts/materials do you need to get from a Suzuki dealer before
starting the 600-mile service check? I'm sure it's better to have everything in your shop before disassembling everything.
Does the shop manual give you a list of items?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Loren,

Here's a post from awhile back that might be of help. Of course, you'll want a '05 service manual if available.

Phil_R said:
I use Ron Ayers MC as my online discount source for genuine Suzuki parts.

The special valve adjustment tool is not a necessity, just makes valve adjustment a bit quicker. It is a stubby 'screwdriver' that fits the square end of the adjuster... a very small adjustable wrench is a good substitute.

Driver part number: 09917-14920
AN400K3 service manual: 99500-34080-03E
AN400K3 oil filter: 16510-25C00
(same as my Suzuki LT250 4-wheeler)
O-rings replaced with filter:
Large O-ring: 09280-54001
small o-ring: 09280-13004

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
FWIW: I only change the "O" rings every third or fourth time. I have one buddy with 18-20K, changes oil frequently, and still using original "O" rings. No leaks.

And to reemphasize that 400 GEAR OIL is 10-40 or 20-50...depending on weather....same oil you use in your motor.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ted clement said:
FWIW: I only change the "O" rings every third or fourth time.
Since it only cost about $4 for both of them, I'd go ahead and order a set to have on hand just in case you do need them.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And being frugal (read that as cheap), I save the old ones "just in case".

I have a four cyl motor on a small plane that uses "O" rings under the cyl head covers which get removed every 25 hours for valve adj. There is no provision for replacement of these and after 200 hours nary a drop leaks.
Thats why I extend the ones on the 400.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

You're not cheap. At least you do (eventually) replace them. :) The suggestion, although quoting you, was for Loren to buy a set in case they are needed.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, I didn't take your comment that way at all...was just poking fun at myself. Actually I do keep a new set on hand...plus the old ones! :roll:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Re: Oil?

Timothy Ma said:
Not so with the 400. The 400's transmission is not changed in the first service anyway. Check your owner's manual and you'll see the transmission oil is changed at about 12K.
I don't see anywhere in the manual about any transmission oil on the 400, only the drive V belt that is replaced at 14,500 miles.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

I'm cheap .... you're frugal. You replace the seals when they need it. I replace them when bailing-twine, duct tape, and staples will no longer hold'em together. :)

swstiles said:
I don't see anywhere in the manual about any transmission oil on the 400, only the drive V belt that is replaced at 14,500 miles.
Be sure you look at :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1434

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
swstiles said:
billmeek said:
swstiles said:
Be sure you look at :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1434
Bill, that talks about final gear oil not transmission oil. And in my 2005 manual it has that corrected
On the 400 there are only 2 places to put oil - the engine and the 'other place'. The other place is the final drive or you can call it the transmission or even Eric but it is the 'other place'. :D

For the pedants, lets not talk about the many other places that take oil - like forks etc. :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts