Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer and talked with the mechanic. They can't get me in right away and with my schedule, how close to 600 miles can I go over. He stated a few hundred over was no big deal, and they need a weeks lead time to schedule. And he need to look up schedules for the 650 to make estimate. I guess I'm first one they're going to service. Any input on how many miles over 600 is OK?

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
The 600 mile check consists of Changing fluids, and checking bolts, and cables (in a nutshell).

If handeling is OK, and if you have no issues with the bike, 1,000 miles should be ok, IF you can at least Change the fluids. (I changed mine sooner than 600 miles)

If not, a hundred should be ok.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I booked my 1000km service 1 week in advance - Mon May 9

I arrived at the dealer just as the odometer turned 1000km - Mon May 16

At the same instant the change oil notice appeared on the instrument panel

The service manager typed a few things into the computer and asked me
to sign.
Before I signed, I read what they were going to do and I told the SM
that my bike did not need what he was going to do.

He mumble something about the AN650 not being in the computer yet.

I hauled out the little manual that came with my bike and showed him
the maintenance schedule page.

He then retyped the work order and photocopied the page from
my manual and stapled it to the work order.

The SM told me he would call when the bike was ready...

I returned the same afternoon to pick up the bike

The invoice showed 1 Oil Filter (the correct part #)
4 litres of 10W40 Oil - 3 for the motor and 1 for the tranny (I assume) and
1 litre of Hypoid Gear Oil fot the rear end

The total for parts and labour (including tax) was $178.00

The SM said they had found a cracked something or other on the front
left cowling and that they had ordered the part from Suzuki.

I would be called when it came in and it would be replaced under warranty.

What I am trying to say here is that they don't know a whole lot about
the An650K5 BUT I am pleased with the way they went about doing the
first service....

I DO know that the oil and filter were changed and I SUSPECT that the
tranny oil and rear end Hypoid oil have also been changed

I was impressed that they pointed out the cracked something or other
that I still CANNOT find.

BUT be sure you check the work order befor you sign it

One thing that they wanted to do was fiddle with the front forks, at
and additional charge.....According to my manual, the front forks don't
have to be fiddled with at any time......

I HOPE that they went over the whole machine and Inspected/Tightened
alll the nuts and bolts that are supposed to be attended to

I asked the SM if the CHANGE OIL indicator had been changed and
or course he said that was part of the service.

You guessed it......I had to reset the Change Oil indicator when I got home.

In the process the machine indicated that the next oild change was at
the 6000km interval.

I am not too pleased with the Service Department at this particular
dealer, BUT I think the co-operatively we will be able to keep the bike on
the road - I HOPE I NEVER LOSE THE MANUAL THAT CAME WITH THE BIKE

The question is --- If I do my next service, will my word be enough if
I keep the receipts for Oils and filter???? or do I have to have
the Suzuki Dealer do it at the cost of $74 per hour for labour????

Gone Bump

·
Registered
605 Posts
God you guys should learn to do this stuff yourselves. First benefit is 1) you will save money...I don't know about your salary but they don't pay me $72/hr and $178 for a service for doing basically an oil change is outrageous. 2) You get to understand your bike 3) Most important, you WILL DO IT RIGHT!! I don't patronize my local dealer because on all these reasons. Besides, if you do your own service (even the first) the warranty will still be good and having the satisfaction you can do it yourself. Just my two cents and I will be doing my 1000 km service probably this Saturday.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bump said:
If I do my next service, will my word be enough if
I keep the receipts for Oils and filter???? or do I have to have
the Suzuki Dealer do it at the cost of $74 per hour for labour????
In addition to the receipts, I'd also document exactly what I did and when (date/mileage). If you should ever require warranty service, the more documentation you have the better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my dealer is talking about 4.5 hours for this service. They stated that it's in Suzuki's book. And they normal add a factor to that. Change fluids, torch exhaust, and in California adjust the throttle leakage(or something like that). This sounds like a lot of time. How many hours has everyone been charged for? Sounds like this service is going to hurt. :cry: I think it's time to order a service manual.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Change fluids...I understand but torch the exhaust and adjust the throttle leakage??? Hmm sounds like a big fish story to me. What do others think??? Could you ask them again what, in plain English, they will be doing. Oh I am so suspicous. So 4.5 hours at $60/hr works out to about $270 for the labour charges only.

OK then lets break it down to actual costs for supplies. In Canada, the oil filter costs $16.00, 3.5 liters of oil (Castrol M/C oil) costs about $3.00/liter and you need an additional amount for the transmission so lets say the costs are $12 for the oil. Now the drive train uses some 80-90W oil say costs $6. So the total comes to $34 (in Canadian dollars). Now to the torching and leakage thingy.....don't have a clue what that is. Hope they aren't playing on your ignorance. Just like the Home Depot ad says, " You can do it, we can help" (that refers to all the people here as this site).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Lckdragon said:
my dealer is talking about 4.5 hours for this service.
Sounds to me like the dealer is talking you into doing your own service. :wink:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Suzuki can't require you to have routine maintenance done by their dealerships.
You can DIY, or even take your scooter to any cycle shop that will agree to work on it.
Keep the reciepts for the liquids and filters that you purchase.
Years ago when I had more time on my hands than I do now, I did all of my own oil changes on all my cars, and not once did a dealer ever challenge me on a warranty claim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just scheduled the 600 mile service on my 400 and the SM told me that it is on the books for 2.75 hours. This is to Change the oil / Filter, adjust the valves, tighten all cables and everything that is required. Why it would take 4.5 hours on the 650 is beyond me. Sounds like they want to goe out to dinner on your dime. I would call another dealer for a second opinion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That should probably be "Adjust throttle linkage", and "torque the exhaust"... That's adjust a cable, and check a bolt for tightness in other words. You have a few others that need to be checked (axles, forks...). :)

Don't wait another 100 miles to change your oil. Buy the oil and filter and do it yourself. Keep track of date/mileage of what you do - for warranty coverage. If you're comfortable doing the rest of the work (check valve clearance) then do that too. Otherwise change your oil now, and bring it in to them when they have time for the rest...

The 400 has half as many valves to check/adjust - and getting to them is different (My wife Ann has a 400, I have a 650). Very much an apples to oranges comparison...

They can charge you what Suzuki has in it's rate book - but Suzuki should not condone them adding a factor to that. Find out what the book says - and pay them their shop rate for that amount of time.

If you know how to use a feeler gauge to check a gap, and understand the principle of a shim and bucket valve system - them by all means get a shop manual and do it yourself... Just get yourself 4 sets of shims of various sizes before you start - and be patient with the "plastic buttons". I'd suggest buying a couple of them for spares too...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lckdragon said:
my dealer is talking about 4.5 hours for this service. They stated that it's in Suzuki's book. And they normal add a factor to that. Change fluids, torch exhaust, and in California adjust the throttle leakage(or something like that).
In California, they have to check the throttle valve sync, and that's where you're seeing the time. Frankly, I skipped it when I did my 600-mile service. Assuming I read all the different sections in the manual correctly, it basically requires pulling off all the plastic from the front of the bike, and I just didn't feel like doing it.

(It's only a California check, for those who are doubting what he's been told; check the E-33 note in the service manual for the 600-mile service.)

Greg

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
As I've mentioned before, my dealer originally included hours for an un-needed valve job in my service, because of an error in the rate book from Suzuki.

When I pointed out the error they wrote me a refund check for the amount of time for the valve job times their hourly rate of $68.00.

I don't have my receipts handy now, but I think 4.5 hours is too much, and probably is based on the same erronious information.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brian said:
I don't have my receipts handy now, but I think 4.5 hours is too much, and probably is based on the same erronious information.
Yours isn't a California model, is it?

A better comparison is going to be a 7500-mile service, because that's when everyone outside of California needs a throttle valve sync. Now, I don't know that doing that job would take additional hours for a skilled mechanic, but I'm quite sure it would take me hours.

It starts by requiring removal of the front box, which means a whole bunch of stuff comes off and then goes back on.

4.5 hours may be a mistake, but quoting times from outside of California doesn't make for a good comparison; this is only required for California models.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts