Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the impression from the Suzuki salesman that I bought my Burgman 400 from that the 600 mile service consisted of changing the oil & filter, doing a quick inspection, and tightening anything which looked loose. He said that doing my own oil change would not void my warrenty. Since the dealership charges $150 bucks for this, I thought I would do my own oil change.

After reading some of the posts on this site, it looked like there may be more to this service than I was led to believe before, like adjusting tappets, etc. One poster quoted 4 to 5 hours of work. I don't mind spending the $150 if this is something that needs to be done to keep the scooter running right and avoid future problems. What do you suggest?

Also I had a great independent mechanic for my Honda Magna who charged a lower shop rate and did better work than the dealership, could they do just as well on the burgman?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There would be very little sense going to to dealer, sounds like a lot of money not only for nothing, but he does not even know what has to be done.
You Honda mechanic along with your shop manual would be the way I would go.
Inside of an hour he will be an expert at taking of panels
- after that an engine is engine is a engine :)
As far as an oil change -I use a table lift- it can be done in 10 min. or less and on the 400 is very easy -including the filter- :wink:

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Doing simple work like oil changes not only save money but has the added advantage of getting you used to the workings of your ride. If something isn't right, a piece comes off or loose, you'll be better able to recognize it if you've worked on the bike.

I do the simple stuff and leave the rest to the dealer, tho' with what they charge, it really kills me to go there.

Ride safe

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Terry,

Just in case you ever need warrenty work done ...
If you do the work yourself, just document what you did, when you did it, and how many miles on the bike. Also a good idea to keep the reciepts for oil, filters, etc as part of your documentation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts