Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone performed a 600 mile service on their 2013 B650? Is the procedure the same as the previous B650s as shown by Ledude online?

IF you had the dealer do the service what was the cost? I'm betting over $200 at the dealer.

Did you have any trouble doing it yourself like Ledude? Any problems with removing the rubber or Tupperware? I've read about rubber tip breakage so if anyone can elaborate that would be nice.

Is it safe to use synthetic fluids for the transmission and gears after 600 miles?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, the synthetics are safe after the first 600 miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just curious, but why the question on a 2013 burgman 650 when you own a 2012 burgman 400? I'm all for planning ahead, but I try not to get ahead of myself.

So far as the question, I don't thing the engine has changed at all in over a decade, just the clutch and belt a bit. Should be the same as LeDudes video.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious, but why the question on a 2013 burgman 650 when you own a 2012 burgman 400? I'm all for planning ahead, but I try not to get ahead of myself.

So far as the question, I don't thing the engine has changed at all in over a decade, just the clutch and belt a bit. Should be the same as LeDudes video.
When I purchase the '13 650 I may negotiate the first service into the price. I've noticed several dealers already marking them down to $8500.

I'd like to be able to do basic service on the '13 B650 like I do on my '12 B400.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the synthetics are safe after the first 600 miles.
The Transmission oil is the same as the engine oil. Does this mean that the 10W-40 should be used for both and synthetics should be after 4,000 miles? Is there any communication between the transmission oil and the engine oil?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The tupperware is completely different. Also, there is no more maintenance hood over the hump, just a small access panel for the engine oil fill. There is nothing any harder than on the earlier models, in fact there is less plastic to remove, but you have to be careful of breaking the small tabs.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It logical that for OEM warranty requirement you pay dealer for this service.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It may be logical but in America, at least, it is not a requirement. I have been told this is a consequence of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act ). You have to use fluid types approved by the owner's manual and not demonstrate incompetence in your own labor. Beyond that the manufacturers are not allowed to deny warranty claims for doing your own work.

You should keep your parts receipts to prove you purchased correct fluids, gaskets, filters, and washers though neither my last Yamaha or BMW dealer ever needed to see those for my warranty claims (okay, the Yamaha never needed any warranty work while my 2001 and 2008 BMW's almost lived in the shop).

I tend to do my own maintenance tasks on my motorcycles (hoping to acquire a '13+ 650 soon) and my experience is that dealer mechanics vary from more to less competent than I am. Ever notice how tight the oil drain plug is from the factory or after a dealer service? That seems to be a very common labor fault. With guidance from sources like LeDude's excellent postings I can avoid my most common concerns, damaging tupperware during removals or torquing something incorrectly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Has anyone performed a 600 mile service on their 2013 B650? Is the procedure the same as the previous B650s as shown by Ledude online?
Yes.

IF you had the dealer do the service what was the cost? I'm betting over $200 at the dealer.
We have two Burgmans. The first was done by the dealer, $350, which is why I did the second myself.

Did you have any trouble doing it yourself like Ledude? Any problems with removing the rubber or Tupperware? I've read about rubber tip breakage so if anyone can elaborate that would be nice.
The first time can be challenging. Now it takes me three minutes. Follow the instructions and go carefully. It's not that hard.

Is it safe to use synthetic fluids for the transmission and gears after 600 miles?
Yes, although semi-synth is a fraction of the price. Unless you're racing, you don't really need the synthetic stuff.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the best way not to break the small tabs doing an oil change? Which tab is likely to break off? That seems to be the biggest issue with doing your own fluid changes on the 650.

At 600 miles did you use regular Dino oil for the engine and semi synthetic for the transmission? I'm thinking regular oil all around until at least 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The very best way to not break the small tabs doing an oil change is to not remove the tupperware in the first place. The only thing you need to remove is the maintenance cover on the hump so you can access the oil filler port. Everything else can be reached without removing anything.

I didn't believe it at first either.

On the subject of oil, I always use the cheapest dino oil available and change it every 3000 miles. That means it only goes about five or six weeks between oil changes and my mechanic said that's not long enough for it to really break down, though it does get dirty.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
2013-2014 model no longer need to remove maintenance tunnel cover completely, access oil filler by remove oil filler door on cover as per red circle in photo.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I didn't do the 600 mile maintenance. Is my Scoot going to explode on me or anything? :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The very best way to not break the small tabs doing an oil change is to not remove the tupperware in the first place. The only thing you need to remove is the maintenance cover on the hump so you can access the oil filler port. Everything else can be reached without removing anything.

I didn't believe it at first either.

On the subject of oil, I always use the cheapest dino oil available and change it every 3000 miles. That means it only goes about five or six weeks between oil changes and my mechanic said that's not long enough for it to really break down, though it does get dirty.
Were you able to change all the fluids without removing the Tupperware?
wow

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've only tried to do the oil and the brake fluid, but the brake tanks aren't covered by tupperware in the first place. I had to lie on my back to do it, and I couldn't actually SEE the oil filter, but it was easy enough to find by feel and it came right off and the new one went back on without a hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed the term "semi-synthetic" in reference to oil. Is there a standard value in the mix ratio for synthetic/crude? I guess what I'm asking is, can one manufacturer make the ratio 70% crude / 30% synthetic while another makes it 95% crude / 5% synthetic and both sell is as "semi-synthetic?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did the 600 service on mine last week. Very easy to do no special tools needed.

Yesterday I had to add an accessory lead to the battery. I discovered that the dealer mechanic hadn't even bolted down the bike's negative battery cable when they installed the battery prior to me taking delivery. Just stuck the bolt through the cable hole and pushed it through the hole in the battery post. The bottom of the cable was just barely touching the battery post. Just a matter of time before there would have been problems. That's why I always work on my own stuff. I know what was done and how it was done. Saving money doing the work myself is a side benefit.

There have been many times in the past that a bike of mine would break under warranty, BMWs Ural, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi. I would work out a deal where the dealer would supply me the parts and I would install them myself. Good for the dealership, as they didn't have to do the work and I'm sure they charged the manufacture for work they didn't do. And good for me because I knew the repairs were done right. I've just had too many bad experiences with dealerships breaking two things for every one the were suppose to fix. The last time I had a dealer fix something, a BMW under warranty back in 2002, the bike one week later burned to the ground.:confused:

Now I'm sure most have had positive experiences paying dealers to work on their bikes and I'm sure there are great mechanics out there. But it just hasn't been what I've found and if there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy is paying someone to break my stuff.:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts