Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the 600 mile service today. actual miles, 633. all went fine. took about 1 hour. im familiar with it since iv had burgmans before. things i noticed...

1. the metal shavings on drain plug magnets was much finer than i would have expected. not much at all in quantity. fine as powder. i guess the oil filter caught the larger stuff. iv had kawasakis that left much larger shavings. the oil filter was on really tight from the factory! luckily i had the wrech cap that fit it. i wouldnt have been able to get if off with hands only. i always just put it on tight as i can get it with my hands only. never had a leak in years of doing it that way.

2. the final drive gear oil was really clean. hardly any metal flake in it at all.

never understood why there are 3 holes for the transfer case.
top to fill.
middle to let overflow run out.
bottom is drain plug.
seems like u could just fill it using the midde hole. but i did it by the book anyway.

i followed suzukis break in procedure. i varied rpms and speed as much as possible. was careful not to keep same speed too long. there were a few times i went over 4000 rpms but not too long. thats kinda hard to stay under in the real world.

going to test ride and inspect as soon as the rain stops :)

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
cmn1771 said:
1. the metal shavings on drain plug magnets was much finer than i would have expected. not much at all in quantity. fine as powder.
Yup, I call it silvering, reminds me of silver paint

cmn1771 said:
2. the final drive gear oil was really clean. hardly any metal flake in it at all.
I didn't start to see any silvering in the final drive until about 5,000 miles, then stop silvering at 11,000 miles.
cmn1771 said:
never understood why there are 3 holes for the transfer case.
top to fill.
middle to let overflow run out.
bottom is drain plug.
seems like u could just fill it using the middle hole.
Me either, I do it the same as the final drive. That way you don't need to remove any plastics.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with the filling of the transmition. Seems like you COULD fill it from the overflow. Some reason why they don't want you to though. :?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I fill it until it starts running out, then turn the rear wheel by hand, to help distribute the oil, then add again until it starts to run out.
I use a squirt oil can, others use a basting syringe (don't use the wife's :lol: ), or something similar.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just realized why the sight glass shows different reading on oil fill amount. HEAT! after cool down, its in the middle of the glass. a few hours ago it was at the full line. wow, that alot of expansion! are u guys noticing this?

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
cmn1771 said:
i just realized why the sight glass shows different reading on oil fill amount. HEAT! after cool down, its in the middle of the glass. a few hours ago it was at the full line. wow, that alot of expansion! are u guys noticing this?
Very normal. It takes time for that oil that is clinging to everything to drip down to the sump. As long as you follow the guidelines in the book it should be fine. And some time I bet you will look down there with the engine running and see no oil, only bubbles. Again normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts