Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the 600 mile service on my Black Beauty 650! Checked everything to make sure all was alright. If Suzuki charges 200 to 300 dollars to perform this, I say its a rip off!

I want to thank all of the contributors to this board for the information to do your own service work. I have learned a great deal of very useful information and will continue to. Sure, I put a scratch on here and there, broke a tang or two before reading the "how tos", but all in all, I am very satisfied with my efforts and certainly believe its better than what I would have gotten from Suzuki!

Again, thanks gang and have a happy Labor Day and keep those folks on the Gulf in your prayers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eddie, just curious. You call your scoot "Black Beauty" and just did the 600 mile service. Is that a left over 2004 model?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buzz said:
Eddie, just curious. You call your scoot "Black Beauty" and just did the 600 mile service. Is that a left over 2004 model?
Very critical eye you have Buzz! You are absolutely correct. I was on my way to look at a 05 in another town, when I stopped in the local Suzuki/multi-vendor shop. Stuck back in the corner was "Black Beauty" and as they say, "the rest is history"! Traded my BMW and a few bucks and off I went! After checking my tires when I got home, I found minimal air and decided right then that if they can't properly set up one for delivery, why would they do any different on a service. I really can't see them doing any of my work unless I have a warranty issue, and at this point, the bike seems to purr along.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well congrats on the "Black Beauty." My son and I both have new 650's and we did our own 600 mile service as well. We bought the service manual and aside from some very TIGHT bolts it was a piece of cake. We are going to do all our own service, with the exception of the valve adjustment when it's necessary and possibly the brakes.

My tires were also underinflated when I drove it off the dealer lot, but I had a 45 mile trip home so the first thing I did was go to the gas station and check the pressure. Glad I did.

Best of luck to ya :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Eddie said:
snip After checking my tires when I got home, I found minimal air and decided right then that if they can't properly set up one for delivery, why would they do any different on a service. I really can't see them doing any of my work unless I have a warranty issue, and at this point, the bike seems to purr along.
This seems to be almost a universal truth.

Most of the safety concious and informative bike sites stress the importance of correctly inflated tyres - as do the tyre manufacturers - for SAFETY.

Now what would happen if some unfortunate got into trouble collecting their bike from the dealer through this - I expect the lawsuit could put the average dealership ot of business. What the hell are they playing at? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I am much happier to do my own wrenching - at least I know what is done and what is not done which you can never be sure of if you do not witness the work at a dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After my 600 service I checked my tires, and they had put in about 45# both front and rear. I have sent a written request why, if I don't hear soon I will ask the next time I am in (will create a reason to go in). Otherwise the shop was highly recommended by other bikers, and extremely fair when selling me the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buzz said:
with the exception of the valve adjustment when it's necessary and possibly the brakes.

I can see the valve adjustment being very time comsuming and I will probably let the dealer do it if I can watch! As far as the brakes, they are one of the easy things on the bike to service, or on most any bike, car, etc for that matter with disk brakes. Remove two bolts, cock the caliper back and forth against the rotor to drive the pads back for clearance, and they are off! Most of the time a couple of clips is all that holds the pads onto the caliper.

I wished I had been as smart as you when you took delivery about checking the tires right away. I drove 300 miles before I thought about doing it. I just ASSUMED it was done due to the safety issue and dealer prep. I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks Eddie, with the engine braking, maybe it will be a long time before I have to worry about the brakes. I really didn't know how difficult they would be. Haven't had time to look at them in the service manual. I'll probably go for it when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts