Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang, I might be freaking out for no reason, but I think my dealer failed to perform all the need items for my first service. I got a quote from the place I purchased ther bike 80 miles away - $169. However, by the time I called for an appointment, they were booked so far out that I went with a dealer closer to home. When I made that appointment, the guy said the bike would need a valve adjustment and asked me to bring it in the evening before. No problem. I took the bike in Friday and picked it up yesterday evening.

The problem? The cost was only $85. All the bill listed for parts was oil and filter and 1 hour labor!!! Now based on the other dealer's quote and what many of you fine folks have posted, I was under the impression that some body panels had to be removed and that the service needed would take around 3 hours. So, after I paid the bill and looked it over more closely, I asked the cashier if the valves had been adjusted. He went back to talk with the tech and came back to tell me they have been. It was "real simple and easy" and "nothing to take off to do it." The tech himself then told me he had done the service "per the book" and that there is a little access panel under the seat that he just popped out and did it. The hardest thing for him was resetting the oil change indicator.

This dealership has sold Honda bikes for years but have only been dealing in Suzukis for 6 months. (I did not know this when I took the bike in). Thus, I am concerned about just how well they know these machines. Anyway, the more I think about it, it sounds like all he did was an idle adjuistment, which I have done myself.

My question is - do you all think this service was done correctly? I plan to keep this bike for a long time and want to make sure everything is done right for her. I am thinking of calling the service manager Tuesday to explain the situation and insist that they fit me in for an adjustment without having to wait 2 weeks since they did not do what was requested initially. However, I want to make sure I am on solid ground before throwing around accusations. I am not mechincally inclined, so not sure if there is some way I can tell if an adjustment was done. Thanks all!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm eager to hear replies to this post as well, because this is what I'll be going through in a couple of weeks on my AN400K5 (2600 kms so far).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Excellent question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here. My 650 goes in on Tuesday for the 600 mile!

For many of us relatively new owners who do not yet have the technical expertise of say, Allwalk, Billmeek, Pauljo, and many others on this site, are there visual tell-tales we can check ( other than the obvious new oil filter, bike running like crap, etc ) to ensure that the bike was serviced properly?

My dealer admits to not having sold a 650 or 400 before. When I bought the bike I asked if they had a tech manual in-house, and they had to spend 10 minutes checking with the service guys to find out if they had one! Of course the answer was "Yes," but this could have been for my benefit.

Hope there are some good, informative answers out there from our tech guru's! :p

Bill

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I can't answer for the 400. My 600 mile service took about 2 hours and everything listed for that service in the owner's manual was done. No valve adjustment required at this service. Time was spent checking and adjusting cables, chassis nuts and bolts, replacing all the oils and adding a new filter, and a few other things.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You do indeed have a very good question. I paid 133.08 cents for my 600 mile service on a B400 that included 1.5 hours of labor. Yet when I have reviewed my bill they do not say 600 mile service but only talk about an oil change. I do know that when I requested to see my scoot as the mechanic was working on it, that the mechanic was complaining about what a pain in a butt job this was and that he was trying to do the valve adjustment. This was one of the reason's why I have since changed to another dealer for service. They too did not have experience with the B scooters and as I was the first to purchase one through them got sick and tired of being the d.. guieni pig. These guys are more accostomed to working on crotch rockets and Enfields than my poor scooter. They also made me feel like I was doing almost something wrong everytime I brought the scoot in for service.

Keep checking with other dealerships until you feel comfortable that the mechanic knows what they are doing or at least will admit to the fact that they are learning everything they can about the scooter and will work with you re: labor.

Evelyn

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'll be the guieni pig at my dealer on Wednesday, they were reading my owners manual when I came in to pick it up new. Hope they have got the shop service manual since.

They also have the right cubby pocket door to replace (under warranty) and I was told those parts are in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yupper,

Let's compare! My 650 also goes in Wed. Can you let me know:

1. How long
2. How much
3. What was delaers reactions/statements.
4. How was paperwork completed.

As were in different states it might be interesting to compare responses from different dealers. We can also include Evelyn's cost/time. Wonder what the cost/time difference will be!?

Bill

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
From what I am reading a lot of the newer members are not old time bike riders either..
A word of advice -You don't bring your bike in to be serviced until you know to the dollar how much it will cost.
The dealer does not work on guess-ti-mits... You talk to the service manger, find out what will be done, question each item and the time, get a firm quote THEN bring in the bike..
Almost any good wrench can tell if the valves need to be touched without taking anything apart.
Ask what the dealer charges to check, then how much more if an adjustment is needed.
ALL prices should include a break down of labor and parts.
This is not rocket science or reinventing the wheel, they have service manuals that tell them to the min. what to charge to do any job needed, Yours is not the first bike in for service, and if it is, don't let them learn at your expence.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mjustice5898- I'm assuming you have the 400 by your picture. That being the case there is know way that your dealer was able to perform the 600 mile maint. I just performed my own 600 mile maintance and I would guess I spent at least 10 hours doing this, since it was my first time. I would guess that a dealer would take roughly 3-5 hours to perform this. The tech is not being honest with you if he told you he was able to check the valves without removing any body panels and he followed the service manual. There is absolutly no way you can get to the cylinder head cover without removing body panels plus the air cleaner box and throttle body. If I were you I would be contacting your dealer first thing Tuesday morning to get it back in the shop. Let the service manager know to check out chapter 2 of the service manual which lists what is required for the 600 mile service. Be sure to also to keep all of your service reciepts in a safe place, just incase. Good Luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
I won't take any of my bikes to any of the dealers in LA. Every time I take a bike to the shop, something else comes back broken, and I'm never sure whether the thing I took it in for was fixed properly. I'm not good at negotiating with the service manager to get things done right (or to get things they broke repaired), and the hassle factor exceeds the learning curve of doing it yourself. Sure, I've broken things while working on something, but I fix it and that's the end -- I don't have to argue with somebody about whether or not it was broken to begin with, or who broke it, or who's going to have to pay for the parts "because we'll comp you for the labor."

My new-to-me 650 was at 14K miles, so I did an oil change. Maintenance-wise, the bike sucks compared to most of the others I've owned. You can change the engine oil with only the maintenance cover off, but you have to pull the lower left fairing to get the transmission oil, and the swingarm cover to get the final drive. Those are still minor hassles, but you have to find half-a-dozen different crush washers, and (on my bike) the transmission fill plug was over-torqued and I stripped it trying to take it out. This is not a 15-minute-oil-change bike.

I dread diving in to check the valves, but I'll do that (or the transmission, or any other **** thing it needs) before I let some "Suzuki Certified" monkey near my machine with a wrench.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Spacewrench,

Dude! Tell us how you really feel! :lol:

Just ribbing a little, I feel the same way about the Lightning & the Burgman, no one gets near either with a wrench unless I'm breathing down thier neck! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
If you have concerns about your shop actually doing the job, I would ask the tech to pull out the manual and take you step by step through what he did to your bike. It is your bike and you have a right to know what you paid for, and it should be listed clearly on the receipt, all tasks since you paid for all tasks to be done. If they avoid listing out what they did there is something wrong.

It will be really clear that they scammed you if they cannot produce the service manual for your bike model, as the tasks are different, and the torques for the chassis bolts vary from bike to bike. If there is no book, there is no way they could have performed the service.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Given that it only listed one hour labor, I'd guess that they didn't do a full 600 mile service on the 400. I would ask for a detailed list of the service performed from the dealer. When I had my 600 mile service done it cost $220 of which $175 (3.5 hours at $50 per hour) was for the checking / adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
For the 650 owners who said they will be going in for service soon, my advice is to photocopy the Maintenance Chart (page 43 in the '03 Owner's Manual or page 2-2 in the Service Manual), and then use a higlighter pen to show the service you want done.

Many shops are still using software from Suzuki that lists a valve inspection that is not required on the 650 (it was incorrectly carried over from the 400's service intervals), and are charging based on that.

Telling them what services you want is a good idea for all owners, IMNSHO, since it shows that you are a knowledgable owner and an active participant, but is especially important for 650 owners in light of the above. I only caught the error after the fact, but to their credit the dealer wrote me a refund check on the spot when I pointed out the error. Unfortunately no correction had been made to any of the dealer materials at several dealers the last time I checked.

For all owners, I would recommend asking for an itemized invoice that lists all services performed and a price breakdown for each. There is nothing wrong with the shop using "standard rates" for each service (in fact, it's probably better if they do, else you'll be paying for their "learning curve" if they haven't done many Burgmans), but you don't want to pay for services not rendered.

HTH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mjustice5898 said:
My question is - do you all think this service was done correctly? I plan to keep this bike for a long time and want to make sure everything is done right for her. I am thinking of calling the service manager Tuesday to explain the situation and insist that they fit me in for an adjustment without having to wait 2 weeks since they did not do what was requested initially. However, I want to make sure I am on solid ground before throwing around accusations. I am not mechincally inclined, so not sure if there is some way I can tell if an adjustment was done. Thanks all!
I'll take a stab at it. I did my own valves and I can assure you that you have to take off some body panels to do it. And it takes a while. It's actually easy to adjust the valves, the hard part is getting to them. :roll: Now this is on a 400. I don't think you said if you have a 400 or 650?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine's at the dealer now, told the service writer that it is there for the 600 mile service, plus the replacement of the RH cuby door unit under warranty. He attached the listing of those parts to the service sheet. Will check to see if everything is done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
600 mi service completed by 12:30 EDT.

600 mile service indicated on receipt

$25.95 Parts & Fluids
$81.00 Labor
$1.02 Shop supplies
$0.08 Enviro charges

Waranty - RH Cubby Door Replaced

PS: They called to tell me that this service does not include valve adjustment. I told them that is only required on the 400's 600 mile service.

Should be good for 3600 smiles.

Hardest part6 reseting oil change interval - Instructions clear as MUD. (IMHO)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news - I took my baby in to the local dealer in town (Lexington) which is the parent store of the one I had her at over the weekend. I told the tech what happened at the other place - only an oil change and a few adjustments. The guy admitted that the other place has not been doing Suzuki that long (mainly Honda and Kawasaki) and thus do not have all the manuals they have in Lexington. I of course thought that means they should not have agreed to service my burgy in the first place or at least have had the decency to obtain the service manual in the 1 1/2 weeks prior to my appointment. Anyway, this guy seemed to know what he was talking about (how to access the valves, etc.) and said he would double check all the other things from the first service (other than oil/filter change) and check/adjust the valves. So, I at least feel like it will get done right this time, even if it costs a little more overall. Thanks for all your replies/suggestions.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
600 mile cost in Ma.

Filter Oil; 10.99
Drum Oil Service (?): 15.96
8 oz shaft drive oil: 5.98
Test ride
600 mile service, labor : 80.00 1hr.

Total w/tax..........120.58

I think they actually pulled the panels because they 1. Had their own and used the Inspection checklist, and 2. A technician commented to me that the bike "actually looks kinda like a motorcycle when the skin is off."

Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
4,000 mile service

Just got mine back from the dealer.
Burgman 400

4,000 mile service cost $298.33 ouch!!

1 spark plug = 5.39
1 filter engine = 6.56
2.1 qt oil = 8.38
sub total parts = 20.33