Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Burgmaners!

Quick questions:
Am pretty soon going to hit the 600 miles on my 2012 burgman 400 (can't believe since it's been just over 2 weeks since I bought, am loving it!). Should I use 10W40 synthetic or regular oil? Any recommended oil filters(K&N)?

I have researched this forum and other youtube videos. Getting mixed reviews to use regular or synthetic. Have been suggested to use oil change kit from Amazon. But wuld rather buy best products sinice it's an imp event for oil change.

PS: Will keep on searching similar threads on this forum.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stay with conventional petroleum oil til the second change, then feel free to go with full synthetic. I used Genuine Suzuki oil filters for the first two changes, but now have a stock of K&N I use.
I use Mobil 1 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil that meets all the Suzuki specifications. I have used Mobil 1 in every vehicle I have owned since 1979. Never had an engine failure or oil consumption problem. Ever. Good stuff IMHO.

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
As you might have noticed you can get a bunch of different opinions on stuff like this, especially on oil brands and types.

Mine is it does not matter if you go to synthetic on the first oil change if you want to. Brand is also not really important as long as the one you chose meets the requirements called for in your owners manual.

In the USA by law it will not void your warranty if you do your own work. You will however need to keep records and receipts for the filters to show you did it. What I did while mine was in warranty was snap a picture of each step as I did it then printed those out on plain paper and attached them to the receipts and stored them in my files. When I went in for warranty work they did not even ask me about my records so you might say it was wasted effort but better safe than sorry.

A number of folks make filters that will work just fine. I use WIX filters on my bikes just because the autoparts store down the road keeps them in stock so I can get them quickly.

For oil I use Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil in both of them. Reason being it is safe for wet clutches which is what the 650 needs. The 400 does not have that requirement but I don't want to keep 2 different brands on hand.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Buffalo,

Just checked my manual 2011 400, page 2-3 15W40 is suitable from 5 F to HOT. You should be fine with the Rotella. Nice oil, I put 32,000 on my china 257cc water cooled scoot using it. I am using Delo 400 15W40 in my Suzuki right now, mostly because it smells better than Rotella. :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
Hi Buffalo,

Just checked my manual 2011 400, page 2-3 15W40 is suitable from 5 F to HOT. You should be fine with the Rotella. Nice oil, I put 32,000 on my china 257cc water cooled scoot using it. I am using Delo 400 15W40 in my Suzuki right now, mostly because it smells better than Rotella. :eek:
It has been fine now for 40,000+ miles on the 400 and 100,000+ on the 650 ;).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
From the engineering point of view, do not use fully synthetic oil before at least 6k miles. It takes that amount of time for the engine to finish conforming (finishing the bedding in process). Yes, you can as Buffalo says use fully syn if you want, it's your choice but is not the best way to go at that time as you engine will never reach it's full potential. The initial running in takes 1500 miles of course, but that's not the end of it. Using fully syn with all those friction modifiers in too early kills the conforming process and the engine may start to use more oil than it should. Bikes are different to cars which often come with fully syn already in them from new. They use a different cylinder honing process and often different materials to bikes that allows them to do so. For lots of reasons bikes aren't designed that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts