Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Burgy 400 from Destination Cyclesports in Kerrville, Tex. Just had it in for its 600 mile checkup. Here is what they did:

Ck and Clean Air Filter
Adjust valves.....intake had tightened up....they told me valve adjustment
was critical to do at 600 miles.
Ck spark plug
Engine oil service----replace oil filter
Drain and Refill Diff Fluid
Ck idle speed
Ck coolant
Ck Brakes
Ck tire pressures
Lube cables and all pivot points

Price for all parts, oils, and labor $183.15. Since I had a pre-paid maintenance contract with them, no out of pocket expense's for me. Seems like a good dealer, real freindly folks.

I live south of Kerrville on highway 16. From my house going south on 16 to Medina is 17 miles. 6 to 7 of those miles are some tight twisties and curves. From Medina, I can hook up with hiway 337, 335 and 336, some really fantastic motorcycle roads, often rated the best in Texas. And the Burgie handles all that stuff real well. Should be more fun now that I dont have to try to keep it below 4000 RPM,s. These roads are flooded with motorcycles Friday thru Sunday and I dont get in their way on those days but........the rest of the week those roads are mine, mine, mine :p

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA jbird! I have a maintenance contract on my 650 too. I think it is a very good deal if you put on a lot of miles, and if your dealer service department does good work. So far, I'm very happy with it. I'm almost at the break-even point, with two years of coverage left to go.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sounds like an honest dealer. Its pretty standard that the intakes tighten up, but the exhaust do not. Wish all the dealers were as honest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for a couple of months now and have found lots of helpful stuff on the forum.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Jbird. Glad you came out of 'lurk mode' and joined us. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Didn't know about the need for a valve adjustment at 600 miles. Any tips from the do-it-yourselfers on this?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brad said:
Didn't know about the need for a valve adjustment at 600 miles. Any tips from the do-it-yourselfers on this?
Yeah
RTFM!
:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Jbird

Welcome to the forum! :hello2:

I am glad you decided to 'de-cloak' and may I say - what an excellent first post.

Look forward to hearing more!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
NormanB said:
Brad said:
Yeah
RTFM!
:lol:
OK Brad

It is now clear my pathetic attempt at humour and banter misfired. I apologise.

I should have used a bit more circumspection with a 'newbie'. Of course language and humour can be ambigious on the screen and the use of the emoticons are there to assist in decoding the intent of the sender.

But anyway if I can explain, I was actually aiming the advice to RTFM at the first part of your statement (The not knowing the servicing requirement). I do not have a 650 but most owners manuals have a service schedule in there that gives you the periodicity against maintenance activity. Of course the owners manual will not tell you how to do all these jobs. A more detailed (but still not comprehensive) approach to the detail of maintenance can be found in the service manual which may still be available for download ***To protect BUSA from copywrite infringement, this link has been removed from open forum.***- but be quick grab it now before it 'disappears'.
Hope this is more helpful. I will not go into the specifics on 'shim under bucket' valve clearance operations because I do not have the bike with it and I ain't done it before. :wink:

Later :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for clearing things up, Norman, and let me admit to a sincere case of overeacting. At this point I'd buy you a beer but it looks like you already have one. Cheers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Brad said:
Thanks for clearing things up, Norman, and let me admit to a sincere case of overeacting. At this point I'd buy you a beer but it looks like you already have one. Cheers.
Don't let that get in your way. If memory serves, Norman has admitted he always has more than one. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts