Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has been in the cycle business for 30 some yrs.I told him that I had bought a Suzuki Burgman and asked him to to the 600 mi. checkup for me.He said fine and I bought the big manual and did it today.he is a very experienced mech. with a great set of tools and a mechanical gift.
He started before noon and we got done after 8 pm.Ofcourse we had a coffee and a sandwich but otherwise we,especially he stayed busy.I read from the big manual and he put this experience and training to work.The manual is very misleading and the amount of fasteners is not noted and there are plenty of them.I do not advise anyone who is really not a good wrench to attempt this by themselves,it's a big one.After watching and helping today I would barely tackle it again.
Changing oil was easy,checking plug was cool,putting the silverstars in was a snap.We also put turn signal buzzers in from radioshack but my old ears need louder ones.Pumped the air to 38/41 and it handled better.But when we finally got to the valve cover and I watched him remove the FI and all those hoses and elec.connections I thought it would never get back together.It's together and the valves were fine,they did not need adjustment.But now it's official!I'm so dang tired from the anxiety and work I can't tell you tonight the time saving way he figured out to do this again but soon I'll be posting it.
If your buying a 400,ask the dealer to throw in the 600 mi. check up with the valve adj. and you have saved some dough.If you have a 400 call the dealers and ask them for the 600mi check up price and if it's less than $200 with oil and filter and valve check your not getting ripped off.The mechanic said to do the third one with all the shortcuts and experience would still be a 2 plus hr. job.With no coffee breaks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I agree. Its not a simple job and good thing you had a very generous cousin. I've done three of them (mine twice and a friends once) and got it down to about 4 hours.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know the more I think about it 2hrs.would never do it.I stand corrected thx.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where did you get the "Big Manual" ?

I want to find a service / repair manual for the Burgman. Is this an "aftermarket " book, or an official Suzuki part number.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The answer to your question is Suzuki are the only ones that publish a service manual for the 400. Unless I don't know otherwise, I think you'll have to settle with buying one from them. But since I went that route and have performed some of the routine maintenance without it , I must say the service manual is lacking in a lot of practical details. This site offers more information and practical instructions than that manual ever will. If you need to remove the motor, rebuild it and do some other detailed disassembly and re-assembly then the service manual is the only manual you need.

Otherwise, removing the wheels, changing the belt, step by step practical tips on routine maintenance items are poorly described. I wish enginneers would stop writing these things and they contract out the writing to someone who rides.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Timothy Ma is right, in many cases the service manual can be lacking in detail, but I wouldn't be w/o mine for anything. It's still worth it's weight in gold.

BTW, welcome to BUSA, Hazegray!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts