Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first uber-ride on my 2011 Burgman 650. Left from near Richmond, Va and rode to Grand Cayon (via New Orleans, TX, etc.) and back home again. Two weeks, lots of fun. Here is a link to my blog where I am still updating some- http://quaziphotos.blogspot.com

Was very impressed with the Burgman, this trip put it over 25,000 miles in 16 months! Yeah, I like to ride her!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Enjoyed the blog. Living out here in California I've been to the north rim of the Grand Canyon way more times then the south. They have dirt roads (some 4x4 only) you can go out on & go to sections of the Grand Canyon & be the only person.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Very impressive indeed. Something I've been dreaming of doing but fearing my 650 Burgman might be too small.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of it being too small too. I DID over-pack and UPS shipped home 40 lbs of stuff I did not need or could do without. My biggest grief was finding tires on the road. The Burgman ran very well, and other than 20 hours of rain making idling a problem for an afternoon, it was perfect! Plus I am almost 250 pounds at 6 foot 3.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I did a 6,400 mile ride on my 2007 Burgman Executive in 9 days.
I put a brand new set of tires on it the day before I left and had to replace them as soon as I returned home.
I kept the rear tire as a trophy.
It's as flat on the bottom as a car tire.
300 pounds and 6'4".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I overpacked for my trip so badly that the bike was back heavy (more so than normal!) The front tire wore some really nice chatter lines in it during the trip. I moved stuff around, shipped 40 lbs home, and started trying to find tires! My back one would have made it home, but while I was there and the store in Independence, Missouri (Donnell's Motorcycles) was so great to me that I put on two tires there and then. The bike felt like God had waived his hand over it! So I fault me more than the bike for this one. The last front tire (Bridgestone) gave me 18,000 miles. This Metzler gave me 5,000 miles; but I am almost certain it was me this time! You and I could start a gang, thugs on scooters!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just finished a 2300 mile trip on my '05 400. I traveled from Norfolk, VA to Madison, WI, via NYC (Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx) and Peekskill, NY, and through Chicago twice. What a beautiful country we have! Came home on US 250, a great twisty through the Appalacians. Yes, she had the snot for the mountains and her maneuverability was fantastic, both there and in NYC. Not a peep of trouble out of the Burgman! She just kept on rollin. I just added oil (about 90 CCs/day) and checked tires every morning. Averaged 286 miles /day and 60.11 MPG for the trip. Camped some. Hoteled more. If I had it to do over again, and I do, I'd plan fewer miles/day and stop more often. It was still a wonderful time. Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, you're next!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like it would be a great journey, Pelicanman58. Did you do the trip alone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Quazi! Yes, I traveled alone. My wife loves to scoot around town or out to the beach, but isn't a long distance kind of lady. She said she would fly out and meet me anywhere I want to scoot to. I missed her, but enjoyed traveling alone. I left when I wanted, rode as fast or as slow as I wanted, stopped when and where I wanted and stayed as long as I liked. I pretty much didnt listen to radio or watch TV either, except for a football game on Sunday, which was a great stress relieving excercise. I just listened to my own thoughts and tuned my internal iPod to whatever songs I could remember. It was great! I see you did a monster trip as well. Did you stop much? Next time I do a long distance trip, Im going to do fewer miles per day. I averaged 286, but I didnt stop as much as I would have liked. Next time, maybe 200/ day. Less miles/ distance, and still plenty of riding, but more "cultural intake".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are trips that work well alone but make you wish that someone could be there to share. My wife isn't crazy enough for these kind of miles. My trip for the first half was staying off beaten path and enjoying the scenery, especially the constantly changing landscapes. I like eating miles, and this trip gave me the perfect excuse. Had a few days off bike, but they were more for recharging and resting. It would be fun to have a trip with a fellow scooter aficionado though. Or any kind of biker really; well, not the loud pipes, I couldn't bear with that in the wonder of the wilderness - day in and day out - hours at a time. Me and the moose would get a headache!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts