Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Burgman 400 is showing about 52-53 MPG in suburban driving. I have 2300 on the odometer.

I was expecting more. How do I improve mpg? What are other owners getting?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If she's serviced right then the only other thing is look at the way your right wrist operates! And keep the tyre pressures at the right level.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you try to keep the rollers engaged instead of coasting, down a hill or towards a turn? I ride a scooter that the previous owner could not get good mileage out of or keep at the speed limit on hills. The hill they could only do at 35mph I do not drop below 50mph. My mpg is 83.2 average her mileage was in the 60mpg area. If you keep the rollers engaged then your rpm's do not need to go way up to engage them and start to rebuild speed. I always get better mpg than my friends but I'm not full on and then full off on my throttle like they ride. As Quantum Mechanic says tire pressures are paramount in maintaining good mpg also. I always keep my pressures at the suggested maximums. Adjust suspension not air pressures for good ride.
Just my $.02.......Mike

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I used to get a consistent 58-63 MPG, combined freeway and city streets use on my 07 Burgman 400. My record highway MPG is 76 MPG downhill going 45 MPH. Check the airfilter. Ran tire pressure 32 F, 42 Rear.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My 2013 Burgman 400 is showing about 52-53 MPG in suburban driving.
By "showing" do you mean the bike's computer? It is nortoriously inaccurate, it's a best guesstimate. Mine usually indicates 2-4 mpg lower than actual.

The mpg on the 400 is affected by load, significantly. My fly-weight friend got 67 mpg when he rode mine on a trip, while heavy-weight me averages high 50s.

Other than that, check everything mentioned previously. Maybe give the wheels a nice spin, make sure the parking brake isn't slightly engaged or something is slowing down the bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
By "showing" do you mean the bike's computer? It is nortoriously inaccurate, it's a best guesstimate. Mine usually indicates 2-4 mpg lower than actual.

The mpg on the 400 is affected by load, significantly. My fly-weight friend got 67 mpg when he rode mine on a trip, while heavy-weight me averages high 50s.

Other than that, check everything mentioned previously. Maybe give the wheels a nice spin, make sure the parking brake isn't slightly engaged or something is slowing down the bike.

Good luck.
Would I be off base to suggest that we get a sample of people weight/MPG's?

For example, I'm 6' 2" 325 pounds I avg 53mpg...

My guess is a person less than 200 pounds will get much higher mpg'

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
My '05-400 has 48,000 plus miles on it,
to haul around my 220 lbs.
I use the B odometer to check miles traveled,
& amount of gas put into the tank to figure
mileage.
I have always averaged 60/62 MPG for around
town riding...no real long trips.
In July of '12, a 2 day trip to the Iron Range of
Minnesota...big bag on the passenger seat,
stuff strapped on the luggage rack & soft saddle
bags...averaged 57/58 MPG at 65 MPH or so.
July of '13...2 day trip to Bemidji Minn. & the
headwaters of the Mississippi....
now with Dr Pulley sliders installed, & no saddlebags,
but the other luggage on the passenger seat and
luggage rack...still running 65 MPH+...70 MPG plus
at a very reduced RPM. I kept every gas receipt
& wrote the B odometer mileage on it..reset each time.
Running around town here..65 MPH is about 5800 RPM.
I can tell that the Dr Pulley sliders are doing their thing
between 50 & 55 MPH, so around town at 30/45 MPH,
mileage hasn't changed much, but out on the highway,
great improvement.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I get a very consistent 55-58 mpg with my '03 400, using the trip B odometer and number of gallons at fill-up (2.0 from the 1/4 tank mark). That's with my 215 lb bulk and <5% dense suburban riding 90% at 55 to 65 mph on US 1 and other roads with 55 to 60 mph posted limits. It's 10 miles from my driveway to the 1st traffic light.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My Givi windscreen significantly decreased my mpg, but very worth it.
I had bought a Givi screen shortly after getting my '03--had to cut 5-1/2" off the top the first day (could not stand looking through it) and then used it less than a month before selling it.

Didn't like it--here in Florida it was hot riding behind it, and in head and cross winds at highway speeds it felt like a 1/4 sheet of plywood attached to the front end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get 60 mpg computer indicated (64 measured) consistently on my 400. I ride at a modest pace around town but generally hit 70 of the freeway.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
On my 2006 I get just shy of 60mpg{59.7 average} in the summer and 50mpg in the winter. Last tank fill I show 58.5mpg so almost to the summer numbers{I bet the spring high winds are to blame for the 1.2 mpg!}. I am a heavy guy{250lbs} and these numbers are pure city although I have several stretches where I can get up to 50/55mph.

In the winter my mpg dropped to almost 45mpg but after cleaning the airfilter and adjusting the tire pressure it went up to 50mpg. So those two things can affect it a lot.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
OP - the in-town mileage on my '08 400 is right about where yours is. Racing from red light to red light and then idling really kills the mpg. The more highway miles I add (at the legal speed limit), the better the mpg. There are SO many factors that effect mpg - don't make yourself crazy with mileage-envy.

Regarding the guys who claim 70+ mpg - I do not know how they do it, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to ride that way.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I had a roughly 300 mile day Saturday. I was surprised my mileage dropped on the freeway.

On the way down I got 62MPG, we took back roads, 35, 50 mph most of the way. This was one up with no luggage.

On the way back I rode her hard at 80MPH most of the way on the expressway non stop for 140 miles. I averaged 47 MPG. This was one up with underseat full with 2 helmets, a jacket and misc. And a 3rd helmet strapped on the outside of the rear seat.

I attribute my huge drop in running at almost a constant 80MPH.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had a roughly 300 mile day Saturday. I was surprised my mileage dropped on the freeway.

On the way down I got 62MPG, we took back roads, 35, 50 mph most of the way. This was one up with no luggage.

On the way back I rode her hard at 80MPH most of the way on the expressway non stop for 140 miles. I averaged 47 MPG. This was one up with underseat full with 2 helmets, a jacket and misc. And a 3rd helmet strapped on the outside of the rear seat.

Is this your computed mileage or the bike's trip meter?

Either way, this is in the same ballpark as my experience.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts

It takes approximately 2.7 rwHP to keep a 400 going 40 mph on flat ground with no head wind, 4.7 at 50, 11.6 at 70 and 16.9 at 80:

The "rubber band" CVT is not especially efficient so multiply the rwHP numbers by 1.2 to get approximate flywheel (crankshaft) HP. This is why and actual 90 to 95 mph is about it for a 400. The calculated rwHP required at 95 is 27 or so, which times 1.2 = 32.4 fwHP--that's about all the 400 engine has left at 9000+ rpm...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts