Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm looking at taking my Burgman on its first real road trip this holiday weekend. My only concern is with having just under 500 miles on the odometer should I still be that concerned about the break-in. Ideally I would like to mainly travel by highway between 70-75 mph. My other option is to plan a route on backroads, i.e. 55 mph. The total trip will be around 300 miles. I know this will put me over 600 mile maintance so I have already went ahead and changed the oil. I will do the rest of the maintance when I get back. Any input would be helpfull

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Most of the break-in has already occurred, but I still might try to vary RPM's a bit for the next hundred miles, whether highway or backroad. 'Course the backroads are more fun. I'm envious because I'm still waiting for delivery of my 650 over here on the Lake Michigan shore, so no riding for me. :cry:

Careful out there on the roads with all the cages/tourist traffic! :iroc:

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
I don't see a problem, as long as the fluids are changed. Going over the 4,000 limit shouldn't be a problem, espically since your so close to 600 miles. In reality it won't be fully broke in till 2,500 miles or so. Just don't beat it, I rarely go over 5,000 rpm in cruise, (that about 75-80)

·
Registered
572 Posts
frugality said:
Careful out there on the roads with all the cages/tourist traffic!
Ditto that! I drove by an accident yesterday where a motorcyclist was rear-ended at a red light. Luckily, he looked OK because he was standing beside his bike and there was no obvious damage that I could see, but the bike had to be taken away on a flat bed. The car (a Sunfire) had extensive bumper damage, the windshield was smashed and the air bag had deployed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with frugality about most of the break in. Based on my own 400 I would say go, do vary speed a little. The only dark cloud is you have not had the valves checked

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
Oops' sorry, thought you had a 650.
Yes, vary the RPM, you can take it up to 70 for a short run (1-2-miles) then back it down to about 60-65. The tappits might be the only other issue, if it runs fine ok, if it gets bunky, it may need and adjustment. Typically at the inital 600-1,000 mile mark. It still won't be fully broke in till about 2,500 -3,000 miles, it just keeps getting stronger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input, I feel a lot better. I'm taking Stargazer's and Frugality's advice about being extra careful on the roads on a holiday weekend, so I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning. Sorry about the confusion Jim, I should have mention that I have a 400. Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sorry, looks like I am a bit late to the party.

I always vary the speed, but my school of thought is that the RPM restriction is there to save your butt more than the bike. According the MSF, over 70% of the accidents on motorcycles are on "new" bikes or bikes "new" to the rider. Thus the RPM restriction on most new bikes.

When I bought my bike, I exceeded 4000RPM when I left the parking lot. At 110miles, I ran it on the interstate at speed. I varied speed until about 300 miles, then started treating it like any other bike.

Now I have 4500 miles on it and no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I agree with Bechtoea; I did the same, and now have over 10K and NO oil use. I would make sure that the valves had been adjusted. If dealer said they did it, are you confident it was done? If it was a $100-135 charge then they did not do it as its takes several hours taking off and putting on plastic. The exhaust valves will prob be fine; its the intake that usually need adjusting. Usually at 600 they are down to the minimum. Sorry to lay this on you the nite before your trip.

Edited: I misread your msg and thought you were off on a 4000 miler! :?
No sweat on 300. Enjoy, and when you get back do the valves yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts