Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Riding across America is the dream of many motorcyclists. The notion of traversing the U.S.A. on two wheels has a certain romantic aspect; 4000 miles unspooling before you like reels of an old, epic film. A lone rider and his/her machine, dusty and stoic, sharing tales of the road with strangers at every stop but never lingering in one place for more than a meal or a night’s sleep.

Unlike some things in life, the dream is not let down by the reality of actually doing it. Every ride across America is special – I’ve done it four times, and each trip provided unforgettable moments, the types of peak experiences we all long for when we get on a motorcycle. Still, there’s a lot to consider when planning a coast to coast trip: Do you use your own bike or rent one? How will you get your motorcycle back home when the ride’s done? What are the essential items to bring? How much time should you allocate, and what route should you take?
Read more about 50 Tips For Riding A Motorcycle Across America at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just read the "50 Tips" article. Excellent! My dream for many years has been to cross the country (and back). I have a good friend who just did it a year ago on a 1982 BMW he restored - said it was beyond belief. I've always been too chicken to attempt it on a motorcycle - it's something I dream about when I pull the covers up under my chin each night ... time's running out for me ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent article. I rode from Kansas to California and back last Summer on my Honda taking two weeks. Maybe I'll go East this year and on a Burgman!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I lived in Kingman AZ for 6 years. I took many trips throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah.
On my 05 Concours or 1100 Shadow. I am not so sure the B400 would do as well, the Concours power was intoxicating.
For inspiration on two-wheels, you can't beat the west. Even hours on Highway 95 through Nevada, or Interstate 40 through the Mohave desert were fulfilling rides. You can see for a jillion miles across, in the desert.
Unfortunately, now I am in lower Alabama where all you see are treetops next to most roads.
Go for it!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I live in NW Indiana, right off US Rt. 20 (the longest road in America). It has become part of my "bucket list" to get on US Rt. 20 and ride all the way west to Oregon. Then get on US Hwy 101 and ride down the west coast. Then get on US Hwy 10 and ride across America to Jacksonville, FL, where I would get on US Rt. 1 and wind my way up to Boston, where I could get back on US Rt. 20 and come home. Around the USA on 4 roads. Whew! What a ride that would be!! And none of it on a big 8-lane Interstate. I now have a Goldwing 1500, and I think that ride is more probable now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Fantastic write up very well put together....I'd like to ride out to San fran and back on the scooter. Beings I'm based here on I 80 in nebraska, it's kind of hard not to want to take the interstate as it is a straight route out through Colorado. Twitchin!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had to live with four day excursions - not retired and I don't want to leave my blushing bride (She does not like riding). I have really enjoyed the four day rides with
local club members. When I retire, I am planning a month ride visiting old friends from my military and college days. They are located in Boston, Michigan, Kansas,
Colorado and California. Until then, weekend day rides and Seasonal Four Day outings.

Bob Minnesota

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've ridden my motorcycle (a Honda Reflex 250) across America already - starting and ending in Alaska, and including Mexico and Canada.

I can boil down the tip to just one: drive carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts