Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The rear Pirelli Diablo I installed 6 months ago was looking awfully flat and thin in the middle. Plus I had another monthly 1000 mile round trip to make from West Virginia to North Carolina. I decided to replace the Pirelli with a Michelin Pilot Pure Power SC 130/70 just because the price was cheaper than the Pirelli on Amazon a month ago. Also, ran a tape around the circumference of both tires, did the math to diameter, and the Michelin is 1/2 inch shorter in diameter than the Pirelli.

The Pirelli could have gone another 500 miles but I thought 1000 miles was pushing my luck.

FYI, I the harbor freight tire changer was a nice upgrade for mounting my own tires :)

Was my mileage about average for the Pirelli? Mostly highway miles, one up, and tire pressure was kept at 40psi.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
4500 on the last two Shinkos I installed. About the same on the OEM Bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ARGH! :confused1: You guys are scaring me!

I don't want to have to replace my rear tire every 5000 miles! I am currently at 1500 and original tires show very little wear. I am hoping I can get at least 6000 out of the rear.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
ARGH! :confused1: You guys are scaring me!

I don't want to have to replace my rear tire every 5000 miles! I am currently at 1500 and original tires show very little wear. I am hoping I can get at least 6000 out of the rear.
Oops, sorry, that's on the 650. The 400 should get 10k+ on both tires. My bad.

I use Dunlop Scooterline and dynabeads.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now, why does the 650 need a new tire every oil change? That seems really really low milage for a tire. I've done 10,000+ on my 400 tires and they look like new. I'm quite confused now.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Poor tire mileage is one of the reasons I Darksided.

I have 12,000 miles on now, and expect to get another 10,000-12,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I expect the 650 mileage on the rear tire is due to a combination of added weight, more power to the rear wheel and more engine braking. Additionally, the roads you ride on and climate also affect durability. On the pre2007 400's you have a slightly smaller rear wheel which will affect tire mileage. On my 2011 400 the rear wheel is 150/70-13 and I get right around 10K on the rear tire which appears to be pretty average for FL Burgmen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I expect the 650 mileage on the rear tire is due to a combination of added weight, more power to the rear wheel and more engine braking. Additionally, the roads you ride on and climate also affect durability. On the pre2007 400's you have a slightly smaller rear wheel which will affect tire mileage. On my 2011 400 the rear wheel is 150/70-13 and I get right around 10K on the rear tire which appears to be pretty average for FL Burgmen.

Good point about the 07+ having a bigger rear rim width. I didn't think about the extra width helping with tire life. Another reason to upgrade to an 08+ or newer 400 Burgman :p

FYI, I check tire pressure at least twice a month if not more and I balanced the rear tire too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Poor tire mileage is one of the reasons I Darksided.

I have 12,000 miles on now, and expect to get another 10,000-12,000 miles.
Exactly. Handles like the OEM tire (or very nearly so) cost less and last three to four times as long.

My bike had two mc tires on the rear and for the last 2,000 miles it has been running a CT. And that is what it will run from now on.

If I can't run dark I would rather leave it parked.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
On both my 06 400 and my 07 650 I get around 7,000 miles out of most brands of rear tires. The exceptions being the Pirelli Diablo I ran on the 650 that only got about 4,500 miles and the two Shinkos on the 400 that both self destructed at around 4,000 miles (tread separation). YMMV

I'm at about 5,000 miles on a Michelin Pilot Pure on the rear of my 400 right now and it looks like I've got about 2,000 more left in it so it will wear about like other tires I've had on the bike. I don't know what the Pirelli Diablo would do on the 400 as I have never run one on it. I've run Bridgestone, Metzler, Shinko and Michelin. I'm currently running a Michelin City Grip on the front and I think that is what I will put on the back when the Pilot Pure wears out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Suzuki of Winston Salem N, C. replaced front and rear tires 7/29/14 on my 2012 650 burgman. 13,660 miles on rear. 24,294 on front when replaced. Have always used Bridgestone tires.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I averaged more like 10-11k with the Diablos on the rear of my 400 but it was a 07.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
All my rear Pirelli's have lasted 6000 miles. I love the way they grip the road but would like them to have a better life span. That is why I too am now riding with Michelin's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a pre-Burgman 650 owner (haven't owned one yet, but will soon.) Could you please explain what "CT" and "darkside" refer to? Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am a pre-Burgman 650 owner (haven't owned one yet, but will soon.) Could you please explain what "CT" and "darkside" refer to? Thanks
Sure. And my bad for forgetting that there are newbies out there.

A "CT" is just an abbreviation for car tire. And a member of the darkside is someone who uses a car tire, usually on the rear only, on their motorcycle or scooter.

While I suppose no one knows just how many decades ago that someone wanted to see just how well a car tire would work on a motorcycle the idea pretty much started to take off back in the 70's and really has picked up steam since.

While mostly found on the larger machines such as the Goldwing and the larger cruisers the use of car tires (designed for smaller cars of course) is rapidly gaining momentum for a lot of the smaller bikes as well. And for sure, why not after all? The bikes handles the same or very nearly so, stops even better, has a smoother ride and perhaps best of all the tires get double or triple the mileage out of them. When you consider they for the most part they are around half what a motorcycle/scooter tire cost then that just sweetens the deal that much more.

Those that like to condemn the practice of mounting a ct on a two wheeler are almost always those that have never tried it. But yearly millions of safe miles are put on motorcycles that are running car tires on them.

Here is just one link about what several darksiders use on their machines. Pretty good information.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All my rear Pirelli's have lasted 6000 miles. I love the way they grip the road but would like them to have a better life span. That is why I too am now riding with Michelin's.
Steve,

Thanks for the info on your life span of the Pirelli's. Which Michelin's did you switch too? And what's the tire life?

Bruce

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've run the Michelin City Grip and the Pure Power SC along with two hoops and a Michelin Power SC. The Power SC was treadless at about 3K, the Hoops lasted 8K (for the original) and 6,500 for the second. In between Hoops I put on the City Grip and got about 7,500. I'm currently on the Pure Power SC and like the way it grips - don't know the eventual mileage yet..
Something about that Michelin City Grip makes it my tire of choice so far. It stuck like no other on any bike I've ever owned on dry or wet roads. BTW, I got roughly 18K out of the front city grip - it probably had another 2K on it, but I like front tires with significant tread on them (I ride on some streets with a lot of truck traffic which results in a lot of oil in intersections).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts