Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got it new and i've put 4K into the burgy, went ahead and did a check on the filter and I was shocked to find out the pretty bad condition the air filter was.
The manual it says it should be replaced around 16K (If i recall OK) or around that.
Not sure if this is normal for 4K, take a look at the picture.., what are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Wow that is pretty dirty, but reassuring that it has stopped all that crap going into your engine.

I think you must operate in a pretty dusty area.

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Wow that is pretty dirty, but reassuring that it has stopped all that crap going into your engine.

I think you must operate in a pretty dusty area.
Or the mechanic that assembled your 2013 had a bad filter on his 400 and did a swap thinking you would not notice till 16,000. Theres a reason why some Fleet service mechanic's that work on mostly Fords drive a Ford, 5 finger discount on replacement parts. :rolleyes: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=five finger discount

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Or the mechanic that assembled your 2013 had a bad filter on his 400 and did a swap thinking you would not notice till 16,000. Theres a reason why some Fleet service mechanic's that work on mostly Fords drive a Ford, 5 finger discount on replacement parts. :rolleyes: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=five%20finger%20discount

I wanted to check with you guys, because when I took it for the 1K maintenance, one of the mechanics told me, "we have checked the air filter and cleaned it up".

that right there seemed suspicious since air filters dont get cleaned at least the OEM one.

SO I have serious concern that I got the new filter replaced by an old one.

in Santiago the smog is pretty bad but i think that wouldn't explain that bad condition.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well, the sure fire way of establishing confidence is to whack a new air filter in and check it after 4000 miles, do a side by side comparison with the old one - that will inform you of the need or otherwise to avoid that particular shop when you need to trust them for something important.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the sure fire way of establishing confidence is to whack a new air filter in and check it after 4000 miles, do a side by side comparison with the old one - that will inform you of the need or otherwise to avoid that particular shop when you need to trust them for something important.
+1. great advice.

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Just after May 20, 1980 when Mt St Helens blew up and filled the air with volcanic ash I was getting about 1,000 miles when I had to pop the air filter out and clean it. I ran a Fram air filter with a outer oiled foam super filter wrap. There was so much dust in the air for months. Lots of people took off their filters. The repairs were costly. The oil pans were caked in ash that got past the piston rings.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just after May 20, 1980 when Mt St Helens blew up and filled the air with volcanic ash I was getting about 1,000 miles when I had to pop the air filter out and clean it. I ran a Fram air filter with a outer oiled foam super filter wrap. There was so much dust in the air for months. Lots of people took off their filters. The repairs were costly. The oil pans were caked in ash that got past the piston rings.

I hear you, I've just ordered a KN filter, less expensive long term and i've seen good comments about it, today i've just put in the OEM filter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Now that you have documented (with picture) your old filter. Take it and soak it in something like simple Green, or DAWN degrease, what ever you have on hand that is safe to touch but removes grease from dishes.

Soak it for hours, slosh it around, you will be able to get it pretty clean. Then let it air dry for days, and you can reuse it. (Daboo tip from ages ago).

You can do this several times, and it filters better than a K&N (IMHO).

I also find that the filters get dirty unless you put a mud shield between the filter housing and rear tire.

I attached a pic showing one way to do it. I have since replaced the duct tape flap with a rubber flap with rivets to hold in place. This will keep your filter a lot cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that you have documented (with picture) your old filter. Take it and soak it in something like simple Green, or DAWN degrease, what ever you have on hand that is safe to touch but removes grease from dishes.

Soak it for hours, slosh it around, you will be able to get it pretty clean. Then let it air dry for days, and you can reuse it. (Daboo tip from ages ago).

You can do this several times, and it filters better than a K&N (IMHO).

I also find that the filters get dirty unless you put a mud shield between the filter housing and rear tire.

I attached a pic showing one way to do it. I have since replaced the duct tape flap with a rubber flap with rivets to hold in place. This will keep your filter a lot cleaner.

+1. brilliant!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Some of my buddies commute into London each day and the air filters get almost completely blocked at 3500 miles and have to be renewed. This came as a big surprise to many but it's normal if you live in or near a busy city. My own filter needed just a mild vacuuming at 4k to keep it clean. I live away from the city so the air is cleaner.

Just one point to make about washing paper air filters. It will improve the flow of air through it compared to a very dirty filter but the water damages the fibres and this closes up the pores of the paper reducing airflow over a new one. This is why you have to renew rather than wash. So as a quick fix it's probably ok but don't leave it too long before you renew as it will restrict the airflow some and the pores will block much much more quickly than a new one. How do I know this. I tested the airflow (not a Burgman filter) through a washed paper filter against a new one of the same make on an engine running a bench test. There was quite a difference. We didn't do this as a specific test, but were forced to do an airfilter 'wash' as a temporary fix. It was then we noticed the readings were going of the scale at high revs as the engine wasn't breathing right. Putting a new filter in cured the problem straight away.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
got it new and i've put 4K into the burgy, went ahead and did a check on the filter and I was shocked to find out the pretty bad condition the air filter was.
The manual it says it should be replaced around 16K (If i recall OK) or around that.
Not sure if this is normal for 4K, take a look at the picture.., what are your thoughts?

Very strange, not see this often before.

If you not get screw by stealership personnel, best solution in extreme dirty environment is filter you wash & re-oil.

Check BMC filter company, excellent Italian product.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just checked my K&N today, and it was pretty darn dirty. I installed it at 5800 miles, and now have 10,800 miles, so mine only lasted 5000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts