Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Timothy, for technical and moral support - Thanks!

Just in case anyone else is doing their own valve tappets and encounter the same
problem about the intake rocker arm sticking down (cold engine) and
giving you the impression that the tappet adjusters need to be spun way high
for clearance - don't turn tappet adjusters out so you can see threads on top.
Pull the rocker arm away from the tappets to gain clearance.
Any more than 1 turn of an intake adjuster is a sign of sticky trouble it seems.

I warmed up the engine by running it for a few seconds, then did the teardown & TDC mark.
The intake rocker moved freely then. I let the block cool down, then used
the feeler gauges to set at .004 inches on both intake tappets. As long as
the .005 feeler would not budge into the tappet, I was happy.
We'll see if the next adjust at 4500 miles shows tighter or looser.

Timothy, a final improvement for the PCV hose re-install idea:
Use a screw clamp at the rearward fitting side because it is impossible to
get both hands into that area (without removing trunk) so that one hand
can move the stock band onto the fitting as the other squeezes the collar open.
A screw clamp can stay off until the rearward end is routed into the area.

My AN400K3 purrs like a kitten. The only clicking sound now is the spark plug
discharging (tk tk tk).
The Burgy needs a cruise out to New Mexico and back so the plug will clean itself. <ha ha.

Changing the motor oil at 120, 300 and 500 may have been too
frequent and the engine may now be too tight for a tappet adjust at
950 even though the tappets were a little tight and I could hear them after
a hard ride.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's great ajwood,

Glad to hear you got things figured out. Those must have been very anixous moments...noisey engine!! Just a couple of questions...what are the manuals specifications for the tappet adjustments anyway? Inches or millimeters will do. What is the interval between inspections? Someone posted that the 2003 and 2004 models inspection interval were different. 6,000 kms for the 2004 and 12,000 kms for the 2003.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Valve Cover

I am getting ready to do my first valve adjustment on my AN400K3, actually this will be the first valve adjustment I have EVER done. I have the service manual (waited about 2 months for it) and have reviewed the limited instructions. What I did not see noted anywhere was whether or not there was a valve cover gasket that needed to be replaced or reapplied (in the case of liquid gasket material). Perhaps I am dating myself, but I do remember from my youth that auto engines had gaskets between the cover and the block. Some input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Timothy and AJ

Who is doing the photo shoot for the 'how to' on tappets then? Or is it a 'joint production. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Valve Cover

NYBubba said:
I am getting ready to do my first valve adjustment on my AN400K3, actually this will be the first valve adjustment I have EVER done. I have the service manual (waited about 2 months for it) and have reviewed the limited instructions. What I did not see noted anywhere was whether or not there was a valve cover gasket that needed to be replaced or reapplied (in the case of liquid gasket material). Perhaps I am dating myself, but I do remember from my youth that auto engines had gaskets between the cover and the block. Some input would be greatly appreciated.
OK

In my manual it is shown on pages 3-77 & 3-78 (You manual Will be different).

It is the engine chapter, in the engine reassembly section, which starts in my manual on page 3-64, so if you find the start of this section and then turn 6 pages over it should be there or thereabouts!

There is a gasket - as you figured, you also need to apply Suzuki Bond 1216 sealant to the cam end cap and there are seal gasket on the 3 cover bolts - well there are on mine!(Ye olde Burger).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Page 3-81 in the U.S.

Thanks Norm! I checked my manual and it was on page 3-81. It would have been nice to know before I sent my order to RonAyers, but that's nobodies but my own (and maybe the manual writers who do not refer you to section 3). I'll call RonAyers Monday and maybe they can add the gaskets and bond to my order without incurring additional shipping, others I'll pay full retail localy. MAN I hate to pay full retail :evil: . Thanks again. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Howard

I have to agree with you it is not the best written manual in NATO.

However, I gather from what you are saying you were looking in the Periodic Maintenance section (my page 2-4) and the valve clearance procedure. Well at the foot of that particular routine my manual states:

'Install the cylinder head cover - see 3-78'.

It is very easy to miss! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts