Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow, I'll head to Denver and get well rested in preparation for a trip to the Tail of the Dragon and surrounding area which, in addition to a couple of trips over that iconic roadway, will include a night at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort and a breakfast at the Loveless Cafe. The whole thing will start off midnight, Friday night/Saturday morning for a Saddle Sore 1000. I'll be traveling with a couple more scoots (one will forego the SS1k and meet us in Missouri) and, a 650 V-Strom.

I’m a Boy Scout at heart and, I’m really wrestling with myself over tools to take. Besides the basic tool kit on the bike, right now I’ve got complete sets of wrenches, regular and Allen sockets, ratchets and torque wrenches, electrical multi-tester and misc. spare bolts, push rivets, fuses, electrical connectors, electrical and duct tape. I think I’m going to par that down to tire repair stuff and, the tools needed to remove/replace the wheels in case a tire replacement becomes necessary (I’ll pay for a tire mount and balance but, hate to pay for wheel removal from the bike). What gear I remove will be replaced by a credit card, AAA membership and cell phone. It gives me the shakes but, I’m gonna lighten the load.

I was hoping to wear my textile jacket and not have to mess with upper rain gear however, even with the vents opened up, I find 90F to pretty well be the limit so, I'll wear my mesh jacket and take a rain top. Slider jeans with armor for the lower half unless, I find some mesh pants in the Denver area prior to official start of the trip.

Posts to follow!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles per day do you expect to ride?
Besides the thousand-mile day, they vary from something over two hundred to over 400.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't forget the Advil (insert any other non-prescription painkiller if you prefer)

Enjoy. I dream of such a trip, and then wake up and just go golfing instead.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a great trip! But, especially, a SAFE one. If you find that you have exceeded your ability to continue on at any time, stop and rest. An Iron Butt certificate is just a piece of paper.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Have fun, I just did a cali to chicago round trip, and I think getting to your nights rest by 3pm was what made the long haul days manageble, I too did puncture repair and duct tape + fuses. The other "tool" I took was a cloth to clean off the bugs and keep my lights bright

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Intending to head out on the SS1K at midnight, we actually started about 40 minutes late because one of the guy's V-Stroms wouldn't start. Finally found it had blown a fuse from a wash. We made it through the night and are now finishing up breakfast at a Perkins in North Platte, Nebraska.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, we made it! Actually drove the Dragon day before yesterday but, they have no Wi-Fi service they're worried about phone service so, I could not post. Well, we made it! Actually drove the Dragon day before yesterday but, they have no Wi-Fi service they're worried about phone service so, I could not post. Yesterday was a travel day, as will be today. Heading towards Natchez trace. So far, great weather and great riding!

Sorry, looks like my attachment came out sideways but, we're getting ready to head out and I don't have time to change it. Later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts