Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a new (03) Burgman. I'm stuck on which one to buy. I like the features and the power of the 650, but it weighs over 100 lbs. more than the 400. Doesn't that offset some of the horses in the 650?
How about stability in the wind and around trucks? Any difference? I'm 5'10" and 230lbs. Should that make much difference in my choice?
How about drive shaft vs. belt drive, drawbacks to either?
I'm 59 and just got my motorcycle license yesterday. I havn't ridden either scooter. Last time I rode a bike was 42 years ago. I plan to ride mostly 400-500 mile road trips. Any tips or comments would be appreciated from those of you experienced folks.
Thanks
Richard :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
650 vs 400

I own a 650. The additional power PLUS a much more advanced transmission more than make up the difference in weight. Neither machine is shaft driven. Both are a combo of belt / gear drive. I think a Suzuki web page says shaft drive - but that is an error. The 650 is the most stable machine in windy conditions that I have ever ridden - and I've owned 15 motorcycles and 3 scooters over the years - and ridden a few others. I am 6'6" and 230 lbs - the Burgman 650 fit me better than the 400 or the Honda Silver Wing. The 400 is a good machine too, and less expensive. But in addition to the bigger engine and better transmission, you get larger wheels, radial tires and dual front disk brakes on the 650. With the 400 you gain a passenger backrest, a larger glovebox, and an integrated braking system (but only a single disk up front), and a little better mileage. Either one is a good value, but the 650 was clearly the best choice for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pauljo for the reply and the heads up on the drive shaft issue.
Is there anybody out there in internet land that chose the 400 over the 650? I would like to hear from you.
Thanks again, I like this site.
Richard :)

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
Look under General discussion (400 vs. 650), a good discussion on both. I've personaly owned both, and for long distance riding I think the 650 is a better choice. The crosswind issue is better, the balance is better, the ride is better and the fit is better. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey I'm Starting to wonder as well 400 or 650?

Hello there in Burger World,

I've been keen for the 400 burgman for some time but as I read more and more about them from this forum and people moving from their 400's to the 650's, then maybe I should consider the larger of the two. The big question I have is....how does the 650 handle in city traffic compared to the 400? I want to used it in the city mostly and for touring I have other motorcycles. The 400 appeals to me because it is much cheaper to insure in this part of the world and maybe it's better in the city. The 650 is big! Not that I can't handle a big scooter. Would that mean it is less fun. Talk to me guys I need advice. Timothy

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
650 vs 400

After owning both you really need to test drive one to see the difference. My insurance is the same as it was for the 400, ($75 per yr. from progressive). I feel the 650 actually handles better in slow traffic because the lower center of gravity. I felt the 400 was too sensitive to cross winds and a little more tippy. Gas mileage can be a factor, my 400 (had 3,000 miles) got 65 mpg. The 650 average is 45 (mostly 2 up riding) Most people will say the 400 is easer to manuver because it's lighter, they may be right, but I find I don't have to put my feet down as often. The only negitive on the 650 is slowing to a stop, the clutch stayes engaged till about 8 - 10 mph. it does take some getting used to. the bottom line is take one out and try it, more than 5 miles. hope it helps

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well I cant comment on the 400 as I own a 650 and havent riden the 400. As far as maneuverability , this machine is as agile as any I have riden. As someone else mentioned this thing is so well balanced that It feels like you could come to a stop and keep your feet up. It has more than enough power at will to zip around traffic. I'm 6ft at 200lbs and this thing is as comfortable as any LazyBoy armchair. The longest trip Ive had on the machine was 4 hours.There was no fatigue whatsover to speak of.
I guess the bottom line is what you want to do with it. If your long trips include a passenger than I would steer you more towards the 650. You should consider Private Messaging Roy_Ryall and ask his opinion as he has owned a 650 and is currently shopping for a 400. Hope I havent confused you any further.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there,

I upgraded from a 400 to a 650 - it was the best change over I've ever made. The 400 was good in many ways but the 650 is even better.
OK fuel consuption and insurance may be criteria but at the end of the day it's all up to the individual to decide as to how he/she will cope with theses differences.

Take care and ride safely

·
Registered
969 Posts
Brrgee,
At your height, I'd think just sitting on the 400 would convince you that you'll need a 650. I'm 5'11", and have way too much leg for the 400.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Heh, I just looked at the date of this thread. I suspect Brrgee has already made his decision. :oops:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brrgee said:
I'm about to purchase a new (03) Burgman. I'm stuck on which one to buy. I like the features and the power of the 650, but it weighs over 100 lbs. more than the 400. Doesn't that offset some of the horses in the 650?
How about stability in the wind and around trucks? Any difference? I'm 5'10" and 230lbs. Should that make much difference in my choice?
How about drive shaft vs. belt drive, drawbacks to either?
I'm 59 and just got my motorcycle license yesterday. I havn't ridden either scooter. Last time I rode a bike was 42 years ago. I plan to ride mostly 400-500 mile road trips. Any tips or comments would be appreciated from those of you experienced folks.
Thanks
Richard :roll:
I just took a test ride on a 400 today. I'm 5'8" and own a 1100 vstar(trading it in). The 400 fits me perfect but I like the extra room on the 650. The 400 had good exceleration and handled nice...windscreen is too narow like most say....no big deal.
I hope to make my decision tomorrow after I go back and test ride the

1 - 11 of 11 Posts