Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well Chris I have read your other posts as well. If you plan on purchasing only 1 machine for the two of you to ride then I would suggest the 400. It would still have more than enough power to handle his weight as well as a passenger. Now if your going to get extravagant why not get 1 of each :D . Seriously though the 400 sounds like your machine...for now.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, Allwalk, we *ARE* shopping for one machine apiece, and we're a-dither between buying two 400s or instead getting one 400 ("hers") and one 650 ("his/2 up"). The 400 certainly SEEMS just fine for carrying the 2 of us when we want to ride together -- you may have seen Mike's post about how we were handily passed by a 400 with 2 up on the Italian Autostrade -- but all the 650 riders posting to this site seem so happy with their big beasts....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a 650 a couple of years ago and it was just fine with two up. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and I was up on my toes when stopping. Both the wife and I got a 400 and this seems to be just perfect. For solo riding the 400 is more nimble and almost as fast as the 650. If you are going to ride double all the time the 650 is the better choice. Both the wife and I are in our 60s so being able to put both feet flat on the ground when we stop is very reassuring especially after a long ride and we are tired.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I'm also 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam and I can flat foot a 650 with my knees a bent a bit -- no problem. You must be putting your feet further forward than I do so that you're standing over the wider part of the floorboard. The 650 is not that tall a bike.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The last maxi that I owned, was a Maj 400. I'm 5' 6" and sometimes could not get my heels down on the Maj which has a similar seat height to the Burg 650 - - - but - - - the Burgs have a coke bottle indent in the bodywork to limit the distance between your feet! The Maj lacks this indent.

( I'm getting ready to go over to the Burg following an interlude with a 750cc cruiser. Buyer-to-be considered my offering and price for 2+ hours; then plonked down a deposit before departing. On Monday I'll be phoning a Suzuki dealer 3 hours distant with updated info on my situation, which should now be ALL cash, and not tradein+cash. )

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Well, look at the "payload" of each bike.

IF he is a large guy as you say, and you wish to ride as well (you did not indicate your weight), you want to ensure that you don't exceed the payload of the bike (assuming you'll eventually want to load it down with extra cases, etc). I hate to make assumptions, so if you are in the 100-150 lb range, it would probably be OK for a 400...if you are 150 - 200, that's starting to get problematic, and if you are 200+ you'd better read the specs on the bike to ensure you don't exceed them. Extra weight on a bike will cause the suspension to ride lower, and could cause tire problems in the long run. NO doubt there are 400 owners here who push the limits of their bikes all the time, as do 650 owners.

Essentially, buy what you can afford - get the best bang for your buck. With the 650 you'll have a larger engine and larger payload capability, and a few more HP, but compare them and both of you sit on each one and decide which one fits, feels, and is economical for YOU. If you know somebody who has one, ride as a passenger on a 400 and 650 and see which one feels better (seat, wind, etc).

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Well this is an old thread :lol:

QuantumRift said:
Well, look at the "payload" of each bike.
Payload (standard vs standard, & ABS vs. ABS) about 30# more on the 400. Edited 5-18-09

They went from dry weight, to curb weight in '09. (good idea :) )

400 GVWR 910 Edited 5-18-09
Curb weight 474 (standard) = 436 payload
Curb weight 489 (ABS) = 421 Payload

Note: Curb weight does not include any additional accs. that you would put on (bags, racks, stuff you always carry with you, etc.).

I found 400 is a good number for both, but it is at, or just beyond the limit.
Riding 2 up 95% with gear (#400), both will handle it. (I owned 400, now a 650)
The 400 is comfortable, with a proper power reserve to 60 ish.
The 650 is comfortable, with a proper power reserve to 80+.
(Note: a proper power reserve is to allow for long up-hills, and stronger headwinds 15+)

An Interesting Payload Comparison
Here

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
.............and I think that 593lb curb weight is shy by about 35-40lbs, thus making the payload less.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Jim said:
Well this is an old thread :lol:
I wonder if anyone noticed the original post was from Jan 31, 2004, and it skipped from February 2004 to March 2009...5 years later. :roll:

I'm hoping the OP has made their decision of which Burgman to buy. :D

Chris

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Tokkyu40 said:
But even after 5 years the debate continues. :D
When will the heretics be reasonable and agree with me?

8) Claude
I did get a chuckle out of this...
I hate to make assumptions, so if you are in the 100-150 lb range, it would probably be OK for a 400...if you are 150 - 200, that's starting to get problematic, and if you are 200+ you'd better read the specs on the bike to ensure you don't exceed them. Extra weight on a bike will cause the suspension to ride lower, and could cause tire problems in the long run. NO doubt there are 400 owners here who push the limits of their bikes all the time, as do 650 owners.
Let's see...I'm in the "problematic" range, even if I get my weight down where it should be. I haven't been in the "OK" range since college...in the last century. :) And from what I understand, the 400 has more carrying capacity than the 650...but I suppose we can get away with that because we confine our riding to school zones and back residential streets where the speed limit is under 35 mph. ;)

So inquiring minds want to know, did Chris Lucey and her husband get a 650 and a 400 many years ago, or two 650s?

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm 260 and I have had both a 650 and now a 400 K8. The 400 has plenty of umph. While the 400 will carry two lard a$$s I would recommend that you get a 650 if you plan on doing two up a lot! The best of both worlds is two 400s one each for you and your buddy. I like the lower center of gravity, 28" seat highth and gas mileage. The 650 is great if you want more power at the expense of mileage. What the 650 does for lower transmission maintenance it makes up for complexity in servicing....... Both are excellent machines!!!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
A lot of people have posted a lot of differences between the 400 and the 650, but I'm not sure anyone has mentioned insurance. Am I correct in assuming it would be cheaper to insure the 400? And would this difference be significant?

Another thing I'm curious about, even though it's a completely different question: A lot of people have "upgraded" to the 650 after having owned the 400 for awhile, but has anyone purchased a 650 first and then gone "down" to the 400?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dear Prospective Burgman Buyer,

I weigh 200 pounds and think the power of the 650 is just okay. On the other hand, with my wife on the back and the transmission in Power Mode, I really can't complain. I would not buy the 400 for ME. I'am glad I went with the 650. For my wife or son? Either one would be fine.

Best wishes,
Crash

1 - 20 of 42 Posts