Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

In pursuit of a Burgman I found a local dealer with a 2003 AN650. After sitting on it, I found that the bike may be too large for me. I'm only 5' 8''. I understand that the 400 and 650 have the same seat height (29.5" above ground). Not having seen a 400 yet, can someone tell me whether the seat on the 400 is the same width as the 650, or is it not as wide. I definitely cannot place both feet on the ground on a 650.

Dave from Pickering

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
The seat on the 400 is lower, and just right for me, I am 5ft 7, but i want the 650, and it is a bit too high for me, but thats the one I will go for. The 650 just looks better to me, wider and I like the mirrors built in, It was the mirrors on the handle bars that turned me off the 400 when I saw it, just no way i wanted it. :!:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have the 650, and I have no problem with it. I can't put my feet down flat, but it's not too high to be comfortable...

It's interesting... perhaps not everyone who is the same height has the same leg length... 8)

Kenny

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seat height?

I guess that I'm out in left field, and please don't take this as a flame, 'cause it isn't intended as one, but....

Being short (5'6") with a stupidly short inseam (28.5") I guess that I'm so used to not being able to get both feet down flat that I don't understand the problem when you taller folks comment that you can't. I've NEVER owned a motorcycle that I could get both feet down. My wife had an '82 Kawasaki 305 that I could, though.

I have the 2003 650, I can't put both feet flat. Big deal.... I can't put both feet flat on anything over 250CC (except for HD's and my wife's 305). I live with it. And I've never fallen (been close a time or two) because of it. If you can get the balls of both feet down, buy what you want. You'll learn.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The AN400 gives my 29" inseam a flat-on-the-ground clearance for my shoes with room to spare.
This is accomplished even by me sitting all the way up on the seat against the backrest.
It will also put its handlebars closer toward me than the 650 will.
There are aftermarket mirrors that can easily replace the 400's stock pair
unlike the 650. I'm considering wrapping my mirror hardware in black electrical tape.
Fueling up a 400 can be done on either side of the bike unlike the 650
that puts the pump on the left only.

With the AN650, I have to scoot forward on the front edge of the seat so I can remotely have both feet flat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cut down seat foam...

Those who were inseam challenged in my old SV650 group would take their seats to an auto upholstery shop...they would remove the cover, replace the foam with thinner stuff (still automobile grade/density) or shave down the stock foam, and recover it. Their seats looked perfectly stock, except they gained an inch or more in lowered seat height!

There's plenty of foam in the seat if you don't mind having someone cut it down a tad...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Seat height?

mick6502003 said:
I guess that I'm out in left field, and please don't take this as a flame, 'cause it isn't intended as one, but....

Being short (5'6") with a stupidly short inseam (28.5") I guess that I'm so used to not being able to get both feet down flat that I don't understand the problem when you taller folks comment that you can't. I've NEVER owned a motorcycle that I could get both feet down. My wife had an '82 Kawasaki 305 that I could, though.

I have the 2003 650, I can't put both feet flat. Big deal.... I can't put both feet flat on anything over 250CC (except for HD's and my wife's 305). I live with it. And I've never fallen (been close a time or two) because of it. If you can get the balls of both feet down, buy what you want. You'll learn.
Mick, don't complain about the inseam, you are actually a very tall person compared to yours truly. I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam or maybe even less.
I test rode the 650 and the 400 with no problem. Of course it helps to have very strong legs and toes when one has a short inseam. I think a person has to be in "rider shape", especially if one is challenged. But one must accept that this is really not a problem. We must accept that God just perfected us early, God didn't need to waste any more of his special time on us. He needed to get on to work on the taller more unperfect ones in an attempt to make them perfect.
Now you know the truth.
Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Feet on the ground

I wouldn't worry too much about both feet on the ground as the my 650 is so well balanced I have had no problems and my inseam is abt 27"

·
Registered
605 Posts
Width of 400 seat...

I noticed you asked about the seat width of the 400. The width is greater than any normal motorcycle and I sat on the 650 as well and can say the 400 is narrower. I'm 5' 7" with an inseam of 30 and I can sit with flat feet. I know what you mean by a wide seat...sometimes if the seat is very wide this makes all the difference. BTW the 400 is also 120 lbs lighter and feels quite manageable in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts