Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm in the market for a Burgie. I've read alot about the differences between the 400 and 650. I definitely want heated grips, a heated seat, and a larger windshield (and I see the 400 has optional heated grips and larger windshield). Is it possible to order the 400 with a heated seat? I see the 650 Executive has that option, which sounds nice.

I'll mostly be using it to drive on the freeway about 10 miles to and from work. I'll also use it as a daily driver around town, and am going to garage it, and back it out each time.

I'm leaning towards the 400, but, to be fair, I haven't test ridden a 650. I'm planning to test ride before purchasing, going to look at some different bikes, and am planning to buy within the next year.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
I've had both, 2008 400 and 2015 650, I've had both on I 4 and I 95 . ten miles aint bad, depending on traffic either will do, for extended interstate, you will be happier with the 650. the 650 also has larger windscreen available as well as a raise and lower capability, Alas your chances of getting one are greatly reduced,

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're only going 10 miles on the freeway by yourself, either of these bikes will do it with room to spare. I've owned a 400 for a little over 4 years. I have the stock windscreen with stock Suzuki hand guards. Works great for what I do. I've worked on a couple of 650's. I'm all about cost per mile of ownership and power to weight. In these two cases the 400 comes out in front. Maybe you weigh 350, or you plan on riding cross country or do a lot of two-up riding. Then the 650 makes sense. Do you ride 10,000 miles a year? Do you have unlimited funds for maintenance? Are you buying brand new? Do you trade in every couple of years? 400 has a serviceable belt that is good for up to 20,000 miles. You hit 40,000 miles on a 400, you're on to your 3rd belt. Do this with a 650, and you know... What's the answer to your question? It depends. At any rate test ride them both. See if one talks to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"400 has a serviceable belt that is good for up to 20,000 miles. You hit 40,000 miles on a 400, you're on to your 3rd belt. Do this with a 650, and you know..."

I'm also looking into possible purchase. Should I assume belt wears out even quicker with 650? I am curious about maintenance costs, since the drivetrain is so hidden and appears a bit of a challenge to access. Is there any regular maintenance items that I should be aware of? Drive belt, valve adjustments, timing belt, etc.?

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
For most Burgman 650 owners maintenance at 60,000 miles has been just Tires, Oil, and brake pads.
No belt's, clutch or roller replacements. Do not need to remove muffler to change rear tire.
A few, very few, owners of the 650 have had CVT failures before 60,000 miles but most will see 80,000 miles before any CVT Belt work is needed

At 60,000 miles on a Burgman 400 you'd be on belt #5, possible clutch #2 and maybe 3rd sets of rollers and 6th muffler gasket tube from removing the rear tire. Muffler must come off to change rear tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For most Burgman 650 owners maintenance at 60,000 miles has been just Tires, Oil, and brake pads.
No belt's, clutch or roller replacements. Do not need to remove muffler to change rear tire.
A few, very few, owners of the 650 have had CVT failures before 60,000 miles but most will see 80,000 miles before any CVT Belt work is needed

At 60,000 miles on a Burgman 400 you'd be on belt #5, possible clutch #2 and maybe 3rd sets of rollers and 6th muffler gasket tube from removing the rear tire. Muffler must come off to change rear tire.
Wow, that's significant! Looks like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...If I only rode say 150 miles a week average X 52 weeks that would be 7800 a year. Keep it three to four years and sell it. The 400 cost less and less to maintain, plus it's easier to sell something in that price range when you are ready to sell.
The 650 weights over/around 600 lbs. depending on what you have on it. The 400 would be a lot easier to back out of the garage. Besides that, I don't know much about either other than what I have gleaned from the forum.

Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 7 of 7 Posts