Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Just bought a 2nd hand Burgman 400 and am loving it! Never thought I would give up superbikes, but the 400 is so much more practical, and strangely gives me a great grin whenever I ride it!!!

I'll probably be asking a few questions, but having just bought it I wanted to service it so I know exactly where I stand. Also, it had missed the 11,500 mile service and was on 12,046. I basically did everything except change the drive belt which is in great condition, so I might change at 14,500 miles - we'll see.

However, putting it back together, the speedometer has stopped working. The only thing I touched was to unplug the connector for the speed sensor when I was checking the clutch and drive belt. I've put a multi meter on it, and it all looks good (+12v on the orange & white) so am confused. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

Don.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Is it just the speedometer or the entire meter panel that's not functioning? Reseat the connector is my only advise for now as the pins are likely not all the way in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It's just the speedometer that isn't working. The needles move to full deflection and back when the ignition is switched on, so I know there is power to it, and the needle is not stuck. I have reseated the connector on the sensor but it hasn't made any difference.

Cheers!

Don.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
If the connector is on securely, I would look for a bare spot on the wires leading to it. If someone has taken a short cut and cut the factory cable ties that held it in place, then you can get the wires chaffing as the outer cover is put on. Over time, you'd get a short.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
yup, it worked before you worked on it, now it don't, look in the area you worked, probably got the wiring cable between the 2 alumi :x ninininin parts of the clutch like I did every time I took mine apart

why didn't they name that metal something easy like friedchickenum :oops:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks - been away unexpectedly for two days, so will take it apart tomorrow and have a look - sounds very possible... I'll update you.

Cheers,

Don!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikey / Daboo,

Exactly as you suggested! I had caught the wire when putting the housing back on. Freed it up, a bit of insulation tape and all is good again!

Thanks for your help.

DW.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Isn't it great to have a forum like this. My hat is off to all the good people on it that contribute good solid working ideas on how to fix something. Thanks everyone.

Bill

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My speedo temporarily quit recently... after the trip, I pulled the CVT apart, checked sensor wire, put some dielelectric grease in the sensor plug and reassembled, it works. I never unclip the sensor plug when cleaning or otherwise servicing the CVT, just move the wire out of the way. Gorilla tape holds the wire better than the goofy plastic clips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts