Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me. 07 Burgman 400 with 3500 miles on the clock.
I have ridden the Scooter for 250 miles since purchase.

It seems to run rough at low speed. Below 40 mph it
feels like the engine is lugging. If I had a gear box I would shift
down at least one gear. At highway speed the Scooter runs fine.
Low speed lugging has me worried. :confused:

I have fresh gas. New air filter. The spark plug is clean, gapped,
and the lead is tight.

What can cause rough running at low speed?
Is there a mixture adjustment or timing adjustment ??

Thanks for the help.
David C.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stale fuel may have plugged the injector ports. Try a tank with Techron additive. Available most auto parts stores. It has worked for me on many vehicles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you're new to CVT type transmissions, it takes some getting used to. It could be the drive belt. Mine sounds and feels like it is slapping inside the cover when I'm going slow. Speed up, smooth as glass.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just for the thrill of it, put in a tank of hi-test. My '06 400 normally lugs below 20 mph. Today I put hi-test in and it ran great. It stopped shuddering after 30 to 40 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendations.
Bought the Burger for my wife. I ride and ST1300.
The CVT is a new challenge.
So far I have added some Techron to a fresh tank of gas.
This next week I plan to pull the CVT apart to clean and deglaze
the rollers and clutch shoes.
Cheers,
David C.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just for the thrill of it, put in a tank of hi-test. My '06 400 normally lugs below 20 mph. Today I put hi-test in and it ran great. It stopped shuddering after 30 to 40 minutes of driving.
My '08 400......runs just great on 87 octane.....w/ 10% ethanol....too!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just the normal vibrations at lower RPM's you get form bigger single cylinder engines. Mine does it below 3500rpms and I've had a few different types of bikes with single cylinder engines and its normal. It's not lugging.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 400 was also chuddering, vibrating, lurching etc but I de-glazed my clutch twice and ran a whole can of sea foam through 3 tanks of gas and she's running pretty smooth now.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
New to me. 07 Burgman 400 with 3500 miles on the clock.
I have ridden the Scooter for 250 miles since purchase.

It seems to run rough at low speed. Below 40 mph it
feels like the engine is lugging. If I had a gear box I would shift
down at least one gear. At highway speed the Scooter runs fine.
Low speed lugging has me worried. :confused:

I have fresh gas. New air filter. The spark plug is clean, gapped,
and the lead is tight.

What can cause rough running at low speed?
Is there a mixture adjustment or timing adjustment ??

Thanks for the help.
David C.
Haze, as the guys are saying, no harm in running some fuel injector cleaner through the bike. Once a year is a good idea anyway and it does work. However, the 400 Burgman engine, being a single cylinder, does vibrate a little more than smaller singles or twin engines at low to intermediate revs. It should give you a nice meaty thump through the bars when you start to roll on the power at lower revs but smooth out just fine as the revs rise. All normal. You will probably find that if you ride the bike normally and allow the revs to rise to highway speeds several times, the engine will gradually smooth out. If the bike has been previously used at predominately low speeds, dust and rubbish builds up in the transmission and makes her run rough. In particular, the rollers can get stuck or don't roll evenly due to dust build up. This produces some vibration as the speed and revs rise. Easily fixed, but it'll probably fix itself if you ride normally over the coming days. Make sure the transmission air filter is nice and clean. Clean it every 1800 miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the advice and councel. The large bore single cylinder 400 is a departure from my Honda ST1300 V4. The Burger reminds me of my old Matchless 500 single "Thumper". That was way back in the day. Anyway, forward to the present.
I have Techron in the tank and have been riding the Burger a lot. Next
I need to open the CVT and check things out. No telling what I may find. The PO messed with everything and left bits and pieces all asunder. I'm learning a lot just putting the bits back in order. I plan on cleaning and dusting out the CVT. Believe it or not I have a new shop vac. Just waiting for a chance to try it out. The wife agrees I need a lift table to get the bike up to a decent working height. So it looks like my tool budget is approved -- cause its for her bike. I like the logic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts