Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 8 stock 18g stock variator rollers with Malossi 16g rollers on my 05 400”S” Friday night and wanted to give those interested a brief report.

I have ridden the bike for +150 miles since the replacement and so far I am very pleased with the results.

The engine now runs at 6,000 rpms at take off and only decreases to 5,800 rpms in the 25-50 mph range. With the stock rollers, the rpms would decrease to around the 4,800 rpm mark in this mph range and then climb back to the original higher rpms when the bike reached the upper 50s mph. Also with the increase in the rpms, the engine feels to be running at the higher power band with better acceleration. The bike seems to show the most improvement when ridding around the 40 mph mark and accelerating into the 60’s mph.

The full effect of the lighter rollers occurs only during full throttle accelerations. If you accelerate slowly with a partial throttle, the bike accelerates similar to the way it did with the stock rollers and does not show the significant increase in rpms. Also, if you accelerate hard and reduce the throttle, the rpms also drop to a more normal rpm level. At higher speeds, +60mph, the rpms are the same as with the stock rollers.

When I filled my gas tank today, my mpg was in line with what I have been getting even though I did a lot of full throttle acceleration tests on that tank of gas.

The change will not produce neck snapping acceleration, but does improve the overall acceleration in the below 60 mph range and removes the power lag in the 25-50 mph range. For the $35 including shipping, I happy with the modification.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds great. I am sure you put the ordering info around here somewhere, but can you either show me the link or just post the ordering info again?

Sounds like something I might do this winter along with everything else. I will have 10K on it by the end of riding season and I gotta go front to back on it anyway, so I might drop in these rollers you are speaking of.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them from "The Scooter Shop" in Orange CA, 800-238-3772. I talked to a guy named Mick. Very good people to be business with.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cool...thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
(Looking for my next scooter upgrade project)

So, were they difficult to install?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not hard if you have an air or electric impact wrench to remove and tighten the nut holding the variatior. I have a friend with an air impact wrench, I used his. I also had to move the belt down into the clutch pulley to get enough slack on the belt to re-install the outer variator pulley plate.

I did not pay any attention the actual time, but it was less than an hour. I was surprised how easy it was.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
The 400 will top out at over 90 so yes it will cruise at 70/75. That being said, mine feels more comfortable cruising at 65. At 70/75 it feels a little on the busy side.

The speeds I am quoting are actual speeds not indicated speeds. Like many motorcycles the speedometer is optimistic. When mine reads 71 I'm actually doing 65.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I totally agree with Buffalo that the 400 is very happy @65mph and below.
I also know that mine was clocked at 107.3mph at Atalanta Motor Speedway for 1 timing segment coming down off turn 4 Wide Open Throttle, wind at my back, and yes it was running downhill off the banked curve. I have the stock rollers and am happy with their performance curve and will probably never change them out. Funny thing is I don't seem to have or notice any lull in the power-band between 40-60mph that many others have expressed concern over.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
I have the stock rollers and am happy with their performance curve and will probably never change them out. Funny thing is I don't seem to have or notice any lull in the power-band between 40-60mph that many others have expressed concern over.
I'm also running the stock roller setup and don't notice any lull in the power-band either.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
At 21K I replaced the Belt and installed 19G sliders in my 09 400. The difference was very pleasing.( With original Rollers) At a slow acceleration I usually got a degree of Shudder. If I Blipped the RPM up above 3200, my normal acceleration there was a noise (call it a Squeal) from the belt. RPM at 65MPH was 6000RPM
(With 19G Sliders) A slow acceleration is now smooth with RPM around 5000-5500.
My speed continues to increase until I reach cruising 65MPH and the RPM are still at 5000. I am so glad I took advise from the Posts to make this change.
It should be noted the the old belt still measured at a width of 1.001 but showed significant stress cracks, None of the roller exhibited any flat spots..I had no way to determine if there was a weight change from the origional 18G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts