Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Don't know if anybody remembers my complaining of a loud rattle type noise at idle and how last fall I said I would take it apart this winter and check it out....well I finally fixed it and thought I would pass on what I found. A little history first, the noise first started between 3 and 4 thousand
miles and seemed to get louder to a point where it then seemed to level off where I now have over 12000 miles. It was worse when cold and if I had the bike on the centerstand and increased the rpms to spin the rear wheel the noise would go away, this told me that it was most likely not the transmission which has the output shaft that the rear wheel connects to.
At this point this is where it really comes in handy to have a shop manual, I've worked on other scooters so I know how a cvt works and by checking the manual I saw that there are two bearings in the rear pulley that allow the rear pulley to freewheel on the input shaft for the above mentioned transmission. When the pulley spins to a certain speed the clutch engages and starts spinning the input shaft and finally everything spins at the same speed and the bearings are doing very little in the way of making up for the speed difference, or another way to look at it is the inner race and the outer race are spinning at the same speed.
Inside this pulley there are two bearing, a ball bearing sealed on one side and a roller bearing also sealed on one side, the only lube they receive is the grease installed at assembly either when new are at the time service is performed on the rear pulley. After I got it all apart I found that the ball bearing was good but the roller bearing when spun with your fingers had indentions or some kind of flat areas on its outer race. The input shaft which the rollers run on was fine which surprised me since I expected it to be damaged. The bearing did seem to be a bit on the dry side and that combined with the fact I drive alot on the freeway might have loaded the bearing in such a way to cause it since at that speed the rollers are pretty much in the same position all the time. If not that maybe it was damaged when assembled at the factory cause it did have a ding in the end of it where it was pressed or pounded in. At any rate I got the parts I needed at Ron Ayers website( Bearing,o-rings,weights for front pulley,etc and a new belt since it was apart and reaching near the end of its life) put it back together with loveing care and plenty of grease on everything. Put the battery back in since it was one of the only warm days we've had and started it up, sounded like new again, took it for a 20 mile ride and it still sounded fine so will see how it goes when I start riding it more once the weather breaks for good. Whew.... thats the most I ever typed at one time and I think I need a break now. If anybody has any questions at all about what I did drop me a line and I'll be happy to try answering them.
Tom

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It's very satisfying isnt it Tom to tackle and solve a problem such as yours. Well done and a tip of the hat to you. You didn't by chance take pics of your progress did you? If not .......how do you feel about ripping it apart and documenting it :lol: ..........j/k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I didn't take any pictures I guess because I'm not very good at getting
them posted(meaning I don't know how). Maybe in the future if I learn how and I do more work on the scoot I'll give it a wack. Just the typing is a major event, hunt and peck you know. I guess I'll just stick with working on the scooter, thats something I can handle.
Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Tom,
The noise you describe is just what I am hearing now (and for the last 6000 miles) so I now have something to look for when I get around to it, thanks for the information. 8)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tom, its not clear to me whether these bearings are the ones in the rear transmission cover, or the ones on the front "movable drive face assembly" as its called in the manual.

Either way, it looks to be quite a job. Do you have the special tools to pull, drive bearings back in, etc?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ted, The bearings are in what the manual calls the "fixed driven face" and there terminology can be rather confusing. If you check their micro-fich I think they call the pulleys, transmission one, and the small gearbox that has the input and output shafts, transmission two. In my eyes its easier to know that you have two pulleys, one drive pulley mounted on the end of the crankshaft and one driven pulley mounted on the input shaft that goes into what I like to call the gear box. Really just some gears and a couple of shafts that multiplys the torque through ratios as its fed to the rear wheel. On the subject of special tools I already owned an old air compressor that my father in law gave me, I think its made by sears, it will give me at least 100psi pressure. I had to use my 1/2 inch drive air gun and had to buy a 24mm deep well socket and a 2 1/8 Inch socket for the big nut on the "moveable driven face, I know its metric but its a weird looking one and I wasn't going to buy suzukis special wrench when the 2 1/8 inch worked ok. Other then that the rest is all the same tools you would use to do valves,etc. A shop manual is a must and this one still leaves some to desire, when I had a honda elite 250 there manual was better then suzukis, better exploded diagrams for the different parts of the scooter especially the engine and drive system. Hope that helps some if not feel free to ask more questions.
Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How ya doing Ted? I'm going to give you two lists, The first one is the stuff that I got just to fix my noise problem and the other one will be just stuff that looked to be normal wear items that would have needed replacing soon. Like I mentioned before I got these from Ronayersmotorsports.com and I believe the part numbers are suzukis
only.

21214-15F00 bearing 15.86 qty 1
21245-15F00 o-ring,movable 2.42 qty 2
09164-18007 washer 1.89 qty1
09164-16002 pr dvn gear washer 1.38 qty 1

27601-15F10 V belt, drive 73.71 qty 1
21248-15F01 pin, movable dri 2.20 qty 3
21249-15F00 spacer movable 2.59 qty 3
21650-15F40 roller, movable 7.25 qty 8
21481-14F00 damper, movable 3.55 qty4

The prices are for each only and you have to multiply them by the quantity to get the total. The second list has a couple of items that were for the front pulley, rollers&dampers, these still worked ok but were showing a fair amount of wear so I replaced them. The belt was down to about 22mm or a little under and they recommend replacing it at 14,500 miles so I did that also, as for the pin&spacers they really didn't look bad but what the heck I felt better putting new ones in and my scoot said she liked them. The prices were much cheaper then my local dealer(they want
87.00 for the belt alone!) the only downside is it takes about 10 working days to get the stuff, but thats ok in the winter.
Hope that clears things up for ya and if you need more info just holler.
Tom

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That does it fine Tom. I'm gonna clip all this info and put it in my manual "just in case" as there are three of us locally with 400's...one has over 20K already, the other two of us with 9K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you tclark:
I have ordered the parts per your list. Any clues on how the roller bearing actually comes off? Does it slide off, friction fit, or is it a press fit requiring a puller and driver?
Ron

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is a great thread, which does a lot to explain that **** noise. Looks like a job for the winter - I can roll the Burgie into a nice warm basement, and take my time. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
rondison said:
Thank you tclark:
I have ordered the parts per your list. Any clues on how the roller bearing actually comes off? Does it slide off, friction fit, or is it a press fit requiring a puller and driver?
Ron
Ron, tclark's original post was way back in 2005. He only has 24 posts to date so I'm thinking he is not still around anymore, or doesn't frequent here very often.

andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts