Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beat before but I still need some guidance.. I am short in stature, so is my wife, she has her lic and rides a Kawasaki 440 but will want to ride the new scoot both as a driver and passenger which means I will to!. Last year I had a Venture Royale..too big for my taste. I ride to work often..100khr highway and we also like weekends trips. We dont go too fast but like the 100 to 120khr. Together we probably go in around the 300lbs mark. Is the 400 enough or is the 650 in order. I know this is a site biased towards suzuki but what about silverwing and majesty? I just want something that will do the job, be fun and inexpensive to maintain and reliable.Oh yea almost forgot, has to be hmmm fairly comfortable. Spring will be here soon even though we just got 50cm in a week and now another 30cm on the way overnight...good thing I have a honda snowblower...
Thanks for the input

Gilles

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Lots of people ride the 400s tandem, including freeways and touring. It'll do the job, and the weight of the 650 might be more than you're comfortable with if it's a stretch to reach the ground.

100km/h (about 60MPH) is no problem on the 400 on level or mildly hilly terrain, but if you're going to be riding two-up in mountains frequently then the extra power of the 650 might be a better bet.

Most people here (and yes, we're biased) say the build quality of the Burgmans is better than the Silverwing, and when I looked at both at the dealer I rode away on the Burgman.

I don't know much about the Majesty.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Actually, I think we're less biased around here than you might imagine, though some is admittedly present. For example, when the Majesty first came out our people first welcomed them during the period when they had no site of their own, then created a sister-site for them which I beleive remains the bike's leading forum. Considerable friendly cross-posting between the two groups continues to this day.

That said...

I am a very fat man. I weigh 330 lbs all by myself, and have no trouble at all highway-cruising on my 400 along with enough luggage and gear for a week. While the bike doesn't feel at all taxed at 70 MPH, my gas mileage suffers enough at these speeds that I suspect my motor's being pushed harder than it really should be for very long periods of time, however. If you want to cruise at 70 MPH-up for long periods (days on end), I'd suggest something bigger than _either_ 400. If not, both the Majesty and Burgman 400's have strong points and weak ones; I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either. Try both, then decide which works best for _you_.

I test-rode a Silverwing before buying my 400, and liked everything about it except the rider's position; I felt awkward and uncomfortable in a way that's impossible to explain. It was just _wrong_, somehow. I actively disliked the 650 as too heavily-gadgeted, too fuel-inefficient, too expensive, and too heavy. But, I'm in the minority, I know. There seems to be far more 650 riders out there than there are us 400 types.

At any rate, I wish you the best in your decision-making process.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I owned a 400 for just over a year, it was a great scoot, I've now had a 04 650 Executive for 2 years, and its no contest.
The 650 every time.......

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lapine Rider said:
I test-rode a Silverwing before buying my 400, and liked everything about it except the rider's position; I felt awkward and uncomfortable in a way that's impossible to explain. It was just _wrong_, somehow.
The Silverwing does have a awkward dash. Its seems parts of the dash is too low and away from the rider. Lack of symmetry is how I descibe it.

I think the 650 and Majesty has the best dash lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts