Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired Member not on two wheels anymore
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering trading in my current scoot (2009 Piaggio MP3 400) for a Burgman 400 or 650.

My decision points:
-ME - 5'8" - 150lbs
-Bike would be used for trips from Palm Springs to LA or rides up to 200 round trip - NOT in town use (I have a PCX 150 for that).

I want something comfortable with enough power to easily cruise the freeway. The 400 seems more manageable (weight wise) but I'm concerned that it will be a bit busy (high revving) at 70MPH. The 650 could easily cruise the freeway but it might be a bit heavy - though my MP3 is no lightweight but locking front wheels make for easy pushing.

Opinions from anyone who has owned both or have experience with this issue? I'm also considering a CTX700ND but not sure I want to go back to a "motorcycle".

If this question has already been flogged, please point me in the right direction. A search didn't turn up anything.
Thx

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd tend to recommend the Burgman 650 for your description - you are certainly tall enough.

IF you are considering a motorcycle stay off the 700 series but do try out a CB500x.
Far better value in my opinion and the only bike I'd consider over the Burgman only because it's better off pavement and considerably lighter.

Here is a slab report

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/honda-cb500x/5633-cb500x-slab.html

This is the main ADV 500x thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842&highlight=cb500x&page=232

I consider it a transformer machine - commuter, tourer and light off road.
A lighter version of the KLR650 with more emphasis on the pavement.

Best demo ride I've had (the CB700x was the worst ) and my co-rider who demoed the other 500x said "just wanted to point it at the horizon and keep going">

The horsepower is the same as the Burgman 650, 150 lb or more lighter, better suspension BUT you have to add the storage and shift. ( shifts lightly ).

The 2013 CB500X has a base MSRP of $5,999, right in line with ... With a curb weight of 430 lbs,

Burgman 650 600 lb and more money but you do get a lot for that.
May not be a lot of what you value tho.

If you ride any twisties - the Burgman 650 will shock you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
70 is not busy for 400, but 80. CB will immediately require a centerstand, chain oiler, crashbar, taller screen, luggage, possibly different apparel for the rider. And it still sucks literally in wet weather.

But as a motorcycle, yep i agree -- not a bad one for shorter people.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It's fullsized bike - why do you repeat that error. The CBR500s are smallish.

The CB500x is higher than the Burgman by 2 " +

Burgman 650 Seat Height, 755 mm (29.7 in).
The new CB500X's 32-inch seat height
No "shorter person" is going to be comfortable on a 32" seat.

Yes it requires stuff for dedicated situations tho a top box is really all the OP needs and maybe a screen.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A lot of people will tell you the 400 is plenty good for the freeway , and at your weight it probably is . That said even at your weight a 400cc bike will need near perfect conditions for freeway driving . If you have a passenger or a good head wind the 400 will be laboring under the strain . I have all of them , when I put a 125 pound girl on the back of my 500cc Yamaha Tmax it's laboring , and I weigh 180 not exactly a heavy weight . Since you already have a smaller scooter IMO you don't need a mid size , you need a full size like the 650 . But that's me , if you want some thing that will carry you and some extra weight comfortably IMO it's hands down the 650 Burg .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would tend to agree and it's a good seat height for 5' 8" - stock screen should be good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 650 is heavy, but because of the low center of gravity it is completely manageable even by a smaller person. I can tilt my wife's 650 to the point it touches the center stand and back up again w/o problems. If I were to do the same with my zx6 I'd be in trouble, even though it is 200+ pounds lighter.
A plus for the 400 is better fuel economy, a plus for the 650 is lower maintenance (no belt changes) as well as more stability in windy conditions and more tire choices if you are going to do a lot of miles and decide to go to the Dark Side. I also see a 650 as being easier to sell if/when the time comes...
If you are buying both as a used bike I think the 600 is likely to hold its resale value better, as around here there seems to only be about $1000 difference.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the input.

I suppose the smartest thing is to test drive both the 400 and 650 Burgmans. Of course getting dealers to let you ride them is a challenge (at least in my experience).

I like the CTX700N but there are just too many compromises - no center stand, no windshield, chain (ugh) and minute storage. NC700X is better in some ways but is too tall for me.

I'll keep you all abreast......could be awhile as I would sell the MP3 first.

Ride on!!!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had both. Power is not a concern on the freeway for either. The 400 revs high but it doesn't hurt it. However, the 650 is much more stable on the freeway at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Full size bike is the s10, Vee Strom, Stelvio, Versys Mil, but no way the CB500

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just traded my 2012 400 for a new 650, I drive a lot from VA to IL on route 50 It is a nice road but after 400 miles it kinda wears on you. The 400 was to jumpy on the highway at speeds over 70 actual. The new 650 is very solid at that speed. Dont worry about the weight difference, I do not notice it one bit. It is easy to move around and in traffic there is no difference. It something I should have done in the first place. I did love the 400 it was a lot of fun. I find the same with the 650 but with a bigger punch behind the fun.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Just traded my 2012 400 for a new 650, I drive a lot from VA to IL on route 50 It is a nice road but after 400 miles it kinda wears on you. The 400 was to jumpy on the highway at speeds over 70 actual. The new 650 is very solid at that speed. Dont worry about the weight difference, I do not notice it one bit. It is easy to move around and in traffic there is no difference. It something I should have done in the first place. I did love the 400 it was a lot of fun. I find the same with the 650 but with a bigger punch behind the fun.
Your new 650, what year is it?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Originally Posted by leb123 View Post
It something I should have done in the first place. I did love the 400 it was a lot of fun. I find the same with the 650 but with a bigger punch behind the fun.
You discovered the Power button yet :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is last years model 2013 gave me a good deal on it and good trade, might have done better but did want to stay semi local. Yes the power button works great. Taking it easy on it with only 250 miles on it so far. The only thing I don't care for is when you raise the windscreen it gives you a blast on your hands, had a af266 givi on the 400 now looking at a clear view or givi, need some imput after I research the posts on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I've also had both, although the 400 was an '03. The 07's and later I understand are better.

I do mostly do 2 up touring at 60-80 Indicated. The 400 was busy and felt a bit taxed. The 650 was more relaxed, and planted better in crosswinds, and could do it all day. 80 indicated, uphill with a 20 mph headwind was no issue. At 80 indicated on a normal day (72 real world) the mpgs are not that different (50 mpg). In the worst case (80 , uphill for 10 miles, 2up, and a headwind , (40 mpg)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Flavio,

I'm about the same size (5'7" 155) and I have no problems moving a 650. I never try a 400 but I like very much the feeling of the 650 on the highway.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Personally, I love the 400 on the freeway. I don't know why so many guys knock it. It Is a fine touring machine and the ONLY bike I rode for 7 years. I had NO problems whatsoever doing 350 mile days on it, completely stock (save a backrest and pad), windshield and all. All day, true 85+ mph was not a problem, except for some buffeting, which the 650 has as well. I think its a tad more comfortable, fun to ride and gets better mileage of course.

I wanted a second bike and came close to buying another 400, but found a good deal on the 650. I love that bike as well. A lot more power for freeway riding, so technically a better highway bike.

For your size, the 400 would be fine. But if you want the 650, its a great bike as well.

FYI, my buddy HAD an mp3 400. Last week he was riding in front of me and he said the steering locked going around a turn, couldn't make it and wound up in a berm. He's okay, but the bike was totaled. Says he'll never trust the mp3 again and is looking for a burgman. He had some front end work done recently, so who knows what it was. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I've had both and IMO the 650 would serve your purpose better than the 400, especially if you already have a smaller bike for tooling around town.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Like Liamjs don't know what folks are talking about -- at any speed the 400 does handle the same. Recently took it to 97 mph indicated, no change in handling whatsoever. Very predictable and solid, though the 650 is more relaxed. But thats about it.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Perfect feedback everyone! Thanks!

CB500X is a shifter and doesn't have ABS so not a contender but thanks for the suggestion.

I was just thinking how a 650cc machine was a big motor - at least back in the 70's and 80's for those of you who remember those days. I guess that sorta dates me! LOL

I'll probably wait until later in the year (unless I get antsy) and look for a slightly used 2013 650. The improvements over the previous years sound good to me. I'll still check out the 400 but feel that I'm leaning towards the 650......on paper (or bytes) at least.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts