Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

400 or 650?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  pauljo 
#1 ·
I'm going to buy a new 2004 Burgman, but am unsure whether to get the 400 or the 650. I will be riding it along with my boyfriend(who is used to gsxr's & R1's). Can the 400 really get along with 2 people on the back. Or should I get the 650 since it has more power? Help Please!
p.s. I'm about 5'7'', new rider

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. :wave:

This has been discussed one helluva lot here - you can do no worse than read the many threads on this very subject.

However - here is my opinion

1. The 400 is a capable machine, is less sophisticated and therefore cheaper to run.
2. The 650 is much more capable when two up and on the Interstate.
3. The 650 is bulkier and heavier than the 400.
4. The 650 will keep up with(or ahead of) anything while touring
5. I assume you are in the States - if so the 650 is an absolute bargain in $ terms. (In UK I would barely get a 400 for that money)
6. Get to a dealer and at the very least have a ride in the lot. At 5' 7" you will be able to plant both feet when seated but best to check. Also have a go at putting it on and off the centre stand and paddling back and forth with engine off.

Anyway, have a good read and I am sure others will pop up to give their advice too. :wink:

#6 ·
Why not shop for a slightly used 650 for a price of a little more than a spakin new 400?

Just keep your eyes peeled and one will shop within 100 miles or so of where u live.

http://www.cycletrader.com is agood place to start.

Many folks buy these things, put on a thousand miles or so and then sell.

#7 ·
rlfjak said:
Oh yeah, one more thing...
Do a lot of 24 year old girlys ride these things??
Not sure but there is probably a few old women?! :shock:

The Burgman is classy and stylish, you will be the envy of all your girly friends!

Loadsa young people in Italy/France are riding these in Gucci riding togs :wink:

#8 ·
I have both the 400 & 650. I love both. Right now my 24 yr old daughter is learning to ride it. I think she is having fun. But, when I take her to an empty parking lot in the industrial park, I feel like it is a toy over the much heavier 650. Actually, I feel more comfortable on it now that I have the heavier bike. I think the choice should be on how you are planning on riding it. Around town the 400 is great, even though I have had it on the Eastern Shore of Maryland as well as the mountains. It does the job.

But, my husband and I want to do long distance rides and I just thought the 650 would be more comfortable. Besides, he was getting a new bike, so I wanted a new bike. We both have MBS (multiple bike syndrome.)

We just went up in some hills of West Virginia on Sunday and I had the 650 and it handled great. But, a couple of weeks ago we were in the mountains of WV and I had the 400 and it was super. I actually think the 400 handles the tight turns better than the 650. You don't feel the constant shifting on the 400 that you do on the 650.

#11 ·
Hey rfl, I'm in Bucks Co. and have a 400. Lots of fun. If you get a bike, maybe we could go riding at some point.

I can't for 24 yr olds--I'm 42--but women can ride whatever they want. I recently rode with all women on a poker run--the 400 led the pack, which included H-Ds, a Honda and a Suzuki Marauder. I do recommend you also take the MSF course (free in PA!)--you'll learn how to ride a traditional bike, if you don't already, and gain good knowledge. The experience will also help in handling whatever bike you decide on.

If you're looking for dealers, I can highly recommend Burger's Motorcycles in Three Bridges NJ or Bromley's in Trevose (tell Paul that Bryna w/ the 400 and new helmet sent you).

Best of luck,

Bryna

#13 ·
rlfjak said:
I'm going to buy a new 2004 Burgman, but am unsure whether to get the 400 or the 650. I will be riding it along with my boyfriend(who is used to gsxr's & R1's). Can the 400 really get along with 2 people on the back. Or should I get the 650 since it has more power? Help Please!
p.s. I'm about 5'7'', new rider
I just turned 52 and 5'5" and bought myself the 650. I did take the motorcycle safety course back in 2000. It was well worth the money that that I spent ($325.00). The 650 is everything I thought it would be. I live outside of Buffalo, NY. I can keep up with the husband who is riding a 03 Goldwing. It handles the back hills just as well as the open road. And it handles the both us when we take it for lunch.

Marci

#14 ·
Greetings and welcome to the forum rlfjak.

The 400 can handle 2 up riding quite well. If it is 2 up on the highway the 650 power would be more suitable. The choice I guess would depend upon how much riding 2 up you intend to do. If its just occassionally then the 400 maybe your answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.