Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the other posting concerning 400 or 650 I'm still undecided which way to go. This will also be my first scooter/motorcyle. I plan on using it for making a short commute to work and driving around town about 50% of the time. The rest of my driving will be highway 75-80 mph with up to 300 miles a day. I will only be riding with a passenger about 10% of the time and that will probably be a mix of highway and two lane roads. I can afford the 650, but the 400 will be a lot easier on the pocket book and since this is my first bike I'm not really sure if I want to take the big plunge with the 650 or get my feet wet with the 400. I was quoted $6,200 for the 400 and $8,300 for the 650, out the door. My biggest concern is getting on the express way with two people and not being able to do highway speeds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Tough choice, you might consider finding a used one for a while. You lose less money if you feel you need to trade, and there are some good deals out there. I started with the 400 and traded @ 3,000 mile for a 650. Others have done the opposite.

You might try reading some past threads. Here is a start

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1730

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
From what I've read and seen, Burgies are "in-demand" and do not easily depreciate. After all, there are several 2 years old sold with only losing a few hundred to a thousand dollars. How many 2003 Burgies are being sold for under $4000? I have been under the same decision-making process myself and am still deciding but i am leaning HEAVILY towards the 400 end of the spectrum. Just sell it privately rather than as a trade-in if you decide to upgrade later? From everything I've read (including your specifics) I'd hop on a 400 if I was you (which I'm not - for those who have me confused with someone else). The main thing holding me back at the moment is finances (which further leans ME towards a 400) but from what you said you would be happier with a 400 for what you will use it for.
Another consideration you might think about is payload and stature (yourself and your rider). You didn't say how tall you are or your weight or weight of your rider OR mention the types of terrain (flat, hilly, San Francisco streets, etc) you will be riding on. Also, I was quoted UNDER $8000 (out the door) for a 650 so you may want to check around some more? Also read someone here get there 400 for under $5500 if I remember right? That extra money may make up for some depreciation in CASE you upgrade. I would also recommend the 400 since it is your first.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
"My biggest concern is getting on the express way with two people and not being able to do highway speeds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

You want the 650 if your doing distance touring. (50-100 miles at a strech)

·
Registered
848 Posts
LSSU96
Welcome aboard. I'm in the same boat - sort of - as you, trying to decide which way to go. I have almost discounted the 650 though. I know it's a great machine for its' intended purpose but I don't feel it would suit me me for 90% of the riding I think I'll be doing. I do like the 400 Burgman very much, but the Yamaha Majesty has an awful lot going for it as well. Both of those may be sightly on the small side for me though. I am also seriously considering the Honda Silver Wing for its size and I love the braking system on it - linked ABS. The good (?) thing is I have no money at the moment so I can research this to death (which incidently I have been doing for the past 4 or 5 months). I've had the opportunity to test ride all of the machines but declined every time as I know there's no point in what I like to refer as "Poking The Bear".

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It's a tough little question that a lot of us had to answer.. If your two up riding is around 300 lbs you are not going to have any problem on the highways. And 300 miles is not that much, but did you say you will be doing this 50% of the time ? How many miles do you plan on in a year ?
So far this year I only put 21,000 on my scoot and well over 70% is at 75+mph on the highway (I own a 400) ..
In fact I am happy enough to be spending over a thousand on upgrades-shield-seat-rack-ect. Two very important factors (for me) ease of handling in city riding, and over all cost of ownership.
The 400 won, not because it is a better scoot, just because I did not need the 650 power, cost, or weight. I think the 650 is a great scooter but I just can't justify buying one...But that's me, sometimes to much logic is not good but in this case it worked out well. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little more information

Thank you everyone for your opinions and comments so far, it is certainly making my decision a little easier. I probably should have mentioned this in my original posting; I'm 5'5", 180 lbs, with my wife on the bike we will be at about 320lbs total. Michigan for the most part is flat lands with a few hills in the nothern part. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I own a 400, and personally weigh about 320 pounds. I don't have any trouble at all doing 75-80 MPH, nor do I forsee any trouble with long trips. However, I would buy a 650 if I planned for much long-distance 2-up touring at all at these speeds. The 400's motor is working so hard at 75-80 that there is little or no difference in the fuel economy between the two at this speed. In cars, I've learned, this is a sign that one is working his small engine too hard and should consider going to a larger one due to wear and tear issues. I assume this rule works for bikes as well, but can't claim any personal experience.

(Me, I like cruising about 60-65 or so. So, the 400 is no problem at all.)

On another note, unlike many here I would have severe reservations about owning a 400 as a first bike. In my personal opinion, a Burgman 400 is too big, too heavy, and too powerful. (Certainly a 650 would be a bad choice for a learner, I think.) I think you should seriously consider picking up a used 150cc scoot to ride a few months, or at most a 250cc. You'll be able to sell it for as much as you paid for it (or close to it) when you upgrade, and the experience you gain with the much more forgiving smaller scoot will serve you in good stead later. Indeed, I still find myself missing my 150 "learner" sometimes. It was a fine and fun machine in its own right.

I'll also add that no novice rider, in my view, has any business whatsoever out on the freeway for _at least_ the first six months.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Come on guys stop whinning :p I am a girl, I weigh 125 pounds and am 5'3" tall with a 29 " inseam and I drive the 650. I started riding a Vespa 1 1/2 years ago and bought the Burgman 11 months later. The 650 is easy to handle and has great pick up.

Take the MSF course and go for all you can. Life is not a dress rehersal.

Janine :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just got my 05 650. I have owned a few diferrent motorcycles over the last 30 years. Although my last bike was 15 years ago; Intruder 1400. I can not state how easy it is to ride the 650. It is the best balanced bike I have owned. I will be using it to commute to work, HWY 80, bridges, wind, and drive to the boat. 60 mile two lane HWY 12. With this I wanted the heavier bike. I do agree if this is your first two wheeled vehicle, buy any brand of 150, learn to drive, take a safety course, and move up to a larger scooter when your ready. You will know. Good Luck

·
Registered
969 Posts
Way to go, Luck. (May I call you by your first name?)

If you're ever up my way, an easy ride of 2000 miles or so, drop by and say. "Hi". 8)

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There is the issue of inexperience, and I acknowledge that for folks with a competitive edge to their personality (and I am one), jumping right in with a machine that weighs over 500 lbs, that will accelerate strongly, and that will exceed 100 mph, could be a recipe for disaster. If a person leans toward more restraint - a 650 can be ridden modestly too.

Whenever I see a person describe in detail what they will be using a new ride for - I just shrug. In my experience, what I've visualized as intended useage, and what I actually end up using the new bike for, rarely, if ever, coincide. To over analyze is usually a waste of time.

Within the constraints of your budget, you have to go with your heart. Buy what appeals to you. The 400 is not underpowered. The 650 is still quite civilized, with a little higher performance envelope.

Good luck in your decision. I don't think you can go way wrong with either scooter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
LSSU96 said:
. I was quoted $6,200 for the 400 and $8,300 for the 650, out the door. My biggest concern is getting on the express way with two people and not being able to do highway speeds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The 400 will do highway speeds with two people, my wife and I do it all the time. The 650 will do it even better. My concern is your price quote. It should be about a $1,000.00 lower for either bike. I bought the 2005 an400 for $5200.00 OTD No dealer prep. I was also quoted $6800.00 for a 2005 an650. Maybe you should look around.

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
I myself am considering the 400 or even a Reflex 250 as I have never ridden before. Florida has a deal where you can take the written test and basically ride on a learners permit until you take the skills test. You can do this for a year. I intend on taking the Motorcycle class but am nervous about it !

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 650 tops out well over 100 mph, and hurls itself from 0-60 faster than many cars with V8 engines. I think the 400 would be a good place to start.

Your first bike should be something you can gain a sense of mastery over, explore the limits, and feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Seminoles3 said:
I myself am considering the 400 or even a Reflex 250 as I have never ridden before. Florida has a deal where you can take the written test and basically ride on a learners permit until you take the skills test. You can do this for a year. I intend on taking the Motorcycle class but am nervous about it !
Hi, Seminoles3. :hello2:

Former Tampa guy, here.

With Florida being as flat as it is, the Burgman 400 should do all most riders need, and if you're not going to get on the freeway much then the Reflex would be good too.

I used to have a Honda Elite 250, and I took it on the freeway every day when I was commuting with it (no car at the time), but it was pushing the envelope a bit.

Don't be nervous about the MSF course. The Rider Coaches are usually very patient and interested in helping new riders join in the fun of riding in a safe and enjoyable manner. You'll be riding the school's motorcycles, so no worries about dropping your own precious new scooter, and you'll be on a closed course, not open roads, with other new riders. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In an earlier post, I mentioned that starting on a smaller, more forgiving scoot can be wise. I'd suggest that before deciding what bike to begin on, this thread should be consulted as well:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

It was a freak accident, yes. I can't help but wonder, however, if it would have happened on a smaller, more controllable scoot.

You only die once. Why take needless chances?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Seminoles3 said:
I bought a 400 back in February, and it sat in my garage until I completed the class two weeks ago. I was nervous about the class also, since I have never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I was certain I'd drop the bike at least once during the class, but I surprised myself. The instructors are great, and extremely patient with us newbies. We had one lady in our class who was so nervous she could not keep the directions straight in the drills - she was always turning the wrong way, or missing a cone. She nailed the tests perfectly! Here in California you take a written test to get a permit, which restricts you to riding only during daylight hours, with no passenger (except an instructor) and no freeway riding. If you pass the MSF class then you don't need to take the driving test to get your license. As soon as the paperwork arrives from my class, I'll be getting my motorcycle license - then watch out world!

I have now ridden my 400 to work twice and it is a blast! By car I am 15 miles from work, but since I'm a new rider I want to stay off the freeways so taking city streets I am 25 miles from work - that is the most enjoyable 25 miles I have ever experienced! I'm getting more comfortable with every mile. And filling the gas tank for about $4 instead of $70 with my truck is REALLY nice!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello,

As I did, you should definitely check out other scooters/brands. There is a lot more choices out there now. Yamaha, Kymco, Stella, Vespa, Piaggio, Honda all make great scoots. One thing is for sure, you found the right starting point by checking into this forum. It is simply the best!

Good Luck!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Seminoles3 wrote:
Nothing to be nervous about, It's a couple of fun days and after you pass you don't need to take any tests at the DMV, you walk in with your certificate from the class and your done.
Unless "things" are different now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts