Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who rides a 400 has asked me to poll the 400 forum concerning the 400's oil consumption. He has an '04 400 with 27,000 miles and has to put in approx 6 oz every 1000 miles. There are no leaks and the scoot is ridden with great care (no quick starts, high speeds, never exceeds 7000 rpm's) so the oil is being burned. Does this sound right? Does anyone here have this issue?

Thanks for your help with this and any input is helpful.

Tim

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
With 23000 thousand miles and I have found the oil low enough times that I know check much more often.. :(
No leaks, no signs of burning, or oil fouling plug.
It must burn off at speed because even the exhaust is not showing anything. :?
BUT ! I don't conceder it normal, except I have no experience with small single piston high mileage engines.
Anyone else have a clue :?:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another note

I also had to put in about 4 oz of oil after a 300 mile ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back on Interstate. The interstate ride was a steady 6300 to 6800 rpm's. I am concerned that the 400 may not be suited for sustained interstate speeds of 65 to 70 mph.

Also, I would like to know if anyone on the forum is having to add oil and if so how much how often under what riding conditions. My goal here is to make certain that I or my friend's 400 mentioned in the beginning post are not having early indicators of an engine problem.

Thanks again for your help.

tim

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I only have a bit over 5400 miles on my '03 400 and it does burn just a small amount of oil but just enough I check it about twice a week. I do 70MPH on about 95% of my riding (work commutes mostly). I do not see a problem with some oil use on a small engine such as we have. I would monitor it because you do not ever want to be too low on oil but as far as engine failure I would not worry too much (if it were me) as long as it HAS oil. Other than my 1100 mile trip I haven't seen much oil usage. I would check it each fillup on long hauls as it seems to burn more (like you said) when travelling on road trips.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
4 oz of oil in 1000 miles is NOT a lot of oil. With the kind of mileage that you have, the rings have loosened up a bit but if it's not showing up in the exhaust than I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well I would be concerned.

Why - well Suzuki are the best people to answer that - but they did not provide a clear explanation (as far as I am concerned) on exactly why Bill's engine failed. One thing seems clear her lost a lot of oil very quickly.

I had been warned by Paul Blezzard (UK motoring journalist and a 'dormant' member here) that there was a need to check the 400's ol level regularly. Since purchase I have checked before every ride and at a fuelling stop if on a longer trip. I have put 'some' oil in from time to time but nothing spectacularly significant - I still check tho'!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think there's a difference between being prudent and being concerned.

I wasn't suggesting that the oil shouldn't be checked frequently. You've stated good reasons beyond just careful maintenance.

Having said that, i don't think that one should be "concerned" about 4oz in a 1000 miles. But that kind of usage is all the more reason to be punctual about oil checks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hmm...I suppose I don't check my oil often enough. It's in for the 1000km (600 mile) service today, but in the few times I've checked it since new, I saw no noticeable reduction in the oil level. I guess that's made me more complacent.

If it's on the center stand, would it tend to show more or less than what it's supposed to be at?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's on the center stand, would it tend to show more or less than what it's supposed to be at?[/quote]

Stargazer,

On the centerstand the amount will be just a "tad" low. I noted my oil level after an oil change sitting on the centerstand when all is known full. Then I noted the level off the centerstand and compared the difference. This way I can check it on the centerstand when fueling or otherwise without having to balance the bike.

FYI: A neat little trick for checking oil when off the centerstand is to leave the side stand down - remove the oil stick - while kneeling beside the scoot and with the right foot, lower the center stand to the ground and pull the bike over to you until both sides of the centerstand are touching the ground/pavement. Keep pressure on the centerstand with the right foot. You can actually keep the bike upright and balanced with the foot. If the bike gets off balance it can easily be pushed over on the sidestand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
some engines are comsuming oil "by design"

Some engines are designed so that consuming oil is by "nature".
this is specialy true with big bore like the burgman 400.
Some motorcycles tend to consume oil also after doing more milage.
( I did not add any drop of oil between changes to the CB500 I had, even after 25000 mile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 3000 miles on my 05 400 and I have not had any oil loss. I mostly drive between 45 and 65 depending where I am going. I check the oil at least once a week but usuall more.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
...but they did not provide a clear explanation (as far as I am concerned) on exactly why Bill's engine failed.
The oil jet that they 'think' was the failure point was replaced with a newer design part as part of the rebuild. All the 2004 and newer models have the redesigned oil jet.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
NormanB said:
...but they did not provide a clear explanation (as far as I am concerned) on exactly why Bill's engine failed.
The oil jet that they 'think' was the failure point was replaced with a newer design part as part of the rebuild. All the 2004 and newer models have the redesigned oil jet.
I do not want to press you Bill for an answer you may not have but..... :wink:

Which oil jet and where is it fitted?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oil consumption

Always be certain that the oil level reading you are getting is accurate. I once had a car that had an inaccurate dipstick. If I filled it to the "full" mark, the indicated oil level would drop to the "add" line in a few hundred miles. The dealer could not find the problem, but there was a service bulleting that called for replacing the dipstick on some of the models that year. When the replacement dipstick was installed, the oil level remained at the "full" mark between changes.
After each oil change, I ran the engine to check for leaks, shut it off and let things drain while I had a cup of coffee and, invariably had to add about a quart of oil to top it off. That should have been the tipoff. I was actually overfilling the thing and the engine was burning off the excess. In some situations, overfilling can cause the oil to foam and not be pumped efficiently and/or cause leaks. We all know what that can lead to.

·
Registered
520 Posts
After Bill's motor failure I have become nearly nuerotic about checking. In fact it was my biggest deciding factor in not buying a 400 Burgman when selling my 650. My Aprilia Atlantic 500 has used NO oil in 600 miles which simply amazes me. From MY own personal experience, high speed freeway riding ON ANY SINGLE CYL. BIKE simply causes the bike to use oil. Don't know why, but I nearly toasted my KLR on a tour once and it made a believer out of me to check my oil.

For what it's worth, it takes a lot to get my crotchity old ass down on the floor (or ground) to do it, but ya just gotta! :lol:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Tim, My 2005 Burgy 400 with 8780 miles needed 5 oz. since the last oil change 987 miles ago on June 30. I would estimate about 400 miles of that at 70 to 75 mph. Most of my riding is at 55 to 60 mph. These mph readings are from my gps cause the speedo is about 8% off. I'm not too concerned about it right now, I'm only worried about the Malt Shop drive in running out of real ice cream for my chocolate milk shakes I like to enjoy about 3 times a week. The drive in is 18 miles from home but somehow the round trips turn out to be anywhere from 60 to 100 miles. :) Neal

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
Which oil jet and where is it fitted?
It was listed as "1 jet, Piston cool" on the invoice. For more info, I'd have to call the dealer.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Selias said:
Should us 2003 400 owners worry?
I wouldn't worry.... just keep a very good eye on your oil level!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts