Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new 200 and updated 650, the 400 looks to my eye like it needs a cosmetic update to fit in with it's two siblings. I wonder if a refreshed 400 is in the works?

What would I change?

Black mirror hardware.
Updated analog gauges.
Fairing mounted turn signal and or running lights like on the 200 & 650.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, a new 400 is rumoured to be on it's way and may be on show at the end of 2015 but released in 2016. That's according to Suzuki France and the press releases I've seen from around the world. Google it and you will find some minor info. Suzuki GB said the 650 would be updated first then the 400 would follow.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Chatter proof clutching/drive system. Better OEM windscreen. Optional heated handlebars and seat, optional driving lights, and maybe some kind of decorative chrome or paint package.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Chatter proof clutching/drive system.
I concur! ....make it engage exactly like that of the b650. That's the CVT benchmark.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think Suzuki will make some cosmetic changes, maybe change the windscreen a bit and such, but I doubt they'll change the drive train much. Going with anything larger like a 450 or 500 would require a two cylinder engine and that, in-turn, would require new tranny, brakes, etc. Thats a lot of work for 50 CCs. Plus it would mess up their line up; 200-400-650 is a nice upgrade path. There's enough distinction between each model to leave you wanting more. Nah, too much investment for very little payoff, and it could even nibble into the 650 sales.

So mechanically the changes will probably be small. Maybe a better, glaze-resistant clutch or something. But the basic drive system, is very good. Why mess with a good thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what my next bike will look like. My 400 is getting long in the tooth and I will probably always have a 400 in my stable.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Rumour has it the bike is being completely redesigned from the ground up. I suspect that's because here in 'urop' it's a hotly contested area of sales in the 400 class. That's why it's taking so long. Everything is going to be new. But we just won't know until release time of course. We also have a very good Sym 600cc single cylinder maxi scooter on sale over here. It's as smooth as you like with loads of power, proving you don't need a twin cylinder engine. I've ridden it recently in my quest for a new bike. It's much lighter too than a twin. Here it is...it's similar to a more modern 400 Burgman, better designed in many ways and of course has that terrific engine that shoves it along at breakneck speeds and acceleration. Cruising at 80mph the engine is revving at just 5,000rpm. Pick up is impressive too. It certainly handles even better than my 2012 Burgman 400 as it has proper dual yoke front forks making it even more rigid and load capable than the Burgman. Front screen is adjustable too. Too many extras and mods over a Burgman to mention, and all useful stuff. Suzuki has their work cut out as Sym makes this model as a 400 as well and it sells well throughout urop offering Japanese quality from this Taiwanese company (who also make engines and gearboxes for Hyundia).
View attachment 35785

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good looking scooter. Taiwanese scooters don't have a good reputation in USA based on Kymco which underperforms and is not cheap, and the BMW scooters built by Kymco. Maybe Sym will change that if they try and if Suzuki continues to flounder in its dealer network.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mech, what is the main thing the 400 lacking, that makes you look for another bike?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Bolzen, that's a difficult one to answer. In truth, I'm happy with my 400 Burgman. I love it. It's just that there are so many other good 400/600 maxi's over here that have been out a while now and they mostly all have many more design features that are useful for riding over here. For example, the 400/600 Maxsym (both the same except for engine size) that I mention above has knee level heater vents to help keep you warm in winter. It has better frame, forks and suspension which enhances handling over the Burgman. It has bigger wheels for better comfort (15" front, 14" rear). It come with a 3 year warranty as standard. It's very high quality throughout etc etc. Of course it has ABS, adjustable front screen, and a more modern instrument cluster with everything to hand. It truly is like I think most of us would want the new Burgman to be like.

So, I was toying with the idea of getting the 600. But then, that all changed! I had the chance to ride the GTS300 Vespa. Different type of bike of course, but I took it on a 380 mile ride and was completely blown away. Less storage space but with a top box that fixes that as the underseat storage is less than on a Burgman. These new ones (2015 model) have new front suspension and a huge amount of mods over the earlier ones, including abs/asr (traction control) etc etc. It was huge fun to ride and it coped with everything as well as my Burgman. It cruised at 70mph without any stress and it really did handle and hold the road like a motorcycle. In fact it's less stressed at 70 than mostly any scoot I've ridden. Top wack is down a little over the Burgman and is between 82-85mph gps but showing around 90mph on the clock. The Vespa is lighter than the Burgman, which for me now is another factor I have to think about. I haven't been well recently and had to spend some time in hospital. I have to be more careful about the weight I lift and move. So I'm thinking I may order the Vespa 'Touring' GTS model in the spring. I may or may not sell the Burgman. Don't know yet. Now I'm retired early, I don't need two bikes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Vespa might work well in Europe but I would question its reliability and in the USA if used outside cities. And the prices on them are usually high and then when they don't sell the dealers have large amounts of several years left overs they cant dump.

·
Registered
405 Posts
And the nightmare of getting any spares during riding season. Italians haven't figured that situation out yet... "fiat"

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah...over here in the Uk and in Italy, Vespa/Piaggio have invested heavily in recent years to improve the spares availability. In addition, the quality of all the Piaggio bikes, and in particular, Vespa has continued to improve to the point where it's the best selling mid range scooter in the UK. And it's been that way for some time now. It outsells most other makes with ease. The new 2015 Vespa is the best yet. It uses electrophoretic primer to hit the corrosion problem on the head that some earlier GTS models suffered from. They've been using it for a little while now and it works. The engines are bullet proof as are the electrics now. Well up to motorways and highway work. I took one on a 380 mile trip at motorway highway speeds and it was no different to my Burgman in the way it handled it. Plenty of acceleration too. It has the new more powerful ecu to allow better mapping. It has so many improvements that I can't list them all. It was great fun to ride and it was very fast indeed. Much faster than my Burgman up to 45mph at least. And real smooth. A very good riding experience.

DoubleJ, the Sym Maxsym 600i is the same size as the Burgman 400 in almost every respect. I'm 6'2" with 33 inseam and I didn't find it cramped at all. Much the same as my Burgman and better than the Burgman 650. The rider in the picture I posted earlier is very tall. So he may indeed make the bike look smaller than it actually is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Especially w/ aging population of motorcycle riders, most of whom have never tried a large scooter. Dealers lack of interest and willingness to allow test rides and promote them. BMW had a great opportunity but are set back because of reliability issues and designing the scooter too much like a motorcycle.

There is a large market but it is going to take a long term plan and sharp marketing. Polaris has taken a long term approach to competing w/ Harley and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
600 cc is over the line i see the capacity for a single. 450 is the max, unless you like vibrations much. I kinda expected much more from the updated 650, but even with those minor changes, it still would be a better choice for me.

Vespa is surely a different beast, you can't actually compete with classics :) My opinion Mech on this is that you just yearn for some variety which happens to all of us. So i wish you truly enjoy the new bike, be it even a Zongshen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
150 cc is over the line if it vibrates but 600 cc doesn't matter if it doesn't and other who rode one said there was no vibration. Many 650 cc motorcycles don't vibrate and if designed properly the scooter should not either.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts