Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2009 400 with 5800 miles I am the third owner. the second owner has had it 2 years put 1500 miles on it with the only thing being done was an oil change. to start out right I was wondering if it would be a good idea to change oil, gear oil, flush and change coolant. take apart cvt clean and lube install new belt, keep old belt in scooter for emergency backup. also was wanting some info on hi performance variator, exhaust, and air filter. and a couple of places to purchase hi performance parts. thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
748 Posts
No need for a new belt (I'd hope). Fluid flush seems a little much. Performance variators that I read about were not good. K&Ns don't fit well and give no performance advantage at all. My 2 cents, with that low of miles, I'd look it over, check air pressure, maybe change the oil, and go have some fun.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
like Mike337, Said Don't waist your time with the Fluid flush on the coolant,
i did mine and did not find nothing no Dirt No nothing, just wasted time now if you want to Flush the Oil Chamber you can it will free up Sticky Components, I used to do it all the time when the Price of Oil Flush was $1.00 now it's 5-6 Dollars Very Sad! can Only afford one now!!

All so Check Vacuum Hoses and all Hoses for leaks, I notice Japan uses this Grey Rubber Hoses which Cracks up Over time go to Auto-Zone and Replace if needed i have a 2007 400 , found a leak on the Throttle Body Vacuum Hose.

Exhaust gives you More Power, But make lots of Noise the Only Flaw!!
Variator gives you More take off speed
K&N does work but 0.5 or 1 HP is all you get with it
Powercommander will give you More Power Curve But expensive Only Flaw!!
There are all so Applications for Spark Plugs such as Nology Hotwires which gives 1 HP

Can't really Get Much Power with a Scooter Engine By Design .......

Elliott,

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought a 2008 with 9,400 miles on it. I put tires on it, K&N air filter and new tires and away I go!
I would stay with the OEM air filter. My mileage has gone down since installing the K&N filter -don't know if it's my driving habits as I get comfortable with the scoot or the filter.
Enjoy it with fresh oil and gas!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Congrats on the bike. It won't disappoint.

As the guys are saying, there shouldn't be much to do at such low miles and it's a 2009, so components can go longer before changing. Just one point. Engine coolant is degradable. New Suzuki's either come with a 2 year (Green) coolant in them that should be changed at 2 years. Or, it will have the 4 year (Blue) extended life coolant that should be changed, you guessed it, at 4 years. Now you don't need to rush this but either way, if it's the green stuff it should have already been changed and will need changing again about now. If it's the blue stuff, it's ready to be changed about now. If you have the green coolant, change it straight away if you don't know full history as it could be well overdue.

Many folk just ignore coolant. I would strongly suggest you don't do that. The engine coolant does several jobs, one of it's main ones being to lubricate the water pump seal. As the coolant ages it degrades and the lubricating properties of the coolant will disappear making your water pump seal wear and degrade faster leading to a premature leak. In addition the engine coolant boiling point will lower which potentially can lead to overheating, and the freezing point of the coolant raises, potentially leading to an engine freeze up and damage depending where you live of course.

Whether the coolant looks good and clean is no guide to how it performs so don't be fooled. It's easy to change and cheap.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Good Point Quantum Mechanichttp://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/28413-quantum-mechanic.html, i change mines a few years ago but guess it's time to change it again, What Coolant do you Recommend, Last time i did mine i use PRESTONE.

Changing the Coolant is not an Easy thing ,you have to Bleed and Top off Levels, It looks easy but when i first did mines i was getting the Temp Needle way Above under the Limit, SO you want to take the time to Do it Correct and Don't Rush it?

Was not sure that the Temp needle that high was normal or Not, I must have Done it wrong.

Ride Safe Ride Hard?

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have had good luck with the Malossi variator, but had bad luck with the J Cosa. You can get about 75% of the full variator kit performance by using 14g Malossi rollers.

Warning: If you suffer from "RPM-phobia", like some on this site, do not change your variator or rollers.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I have had good luck with the Malossi variator, but had bad luck with the J Cosa. You can get about 75% of the full variator kit performance by using 14g Malossi rollers.

Warning: If you suffer from "RPM-phobia", like some on this site, do not change your variator or rollers.
Ha HA, yeah roy_ryall, Had that J.Costa what a complete Failure that was and a Nightmare ,in some cases Complete alter Destruction of the Unit Broke in Half or Just Plain old Failed, Hard to be-leave there still selling those...:lovestory:

Elliott,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts