Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O f the 9 Maxi Scooters I have purchased new---the Burgman seems to be the worst handling....to the point of dangerous at times.
Yesterday twice big city freeway sweeping curves=not STEADY----scared me.....and I have over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles. I think DABOO has commented on this before.....wet/wire mesh bridge covering real thrill, too!

I have Safey Degree/ worked 40 years with motorcycle safety issues----most are the idiot behind the bars, but I think this one machine/equipment issue.

Yesterday/7JUROCK shield stock height/Hand protecters/GIVI 46 L box/Tires Hoop front,Michelin SC back, both fresh at recommended cold pressure/ Top Box lightly loaded/ One rubber bag on passenger seat, 24-30 in wide containing 3 days dirty clothes, my Stone Lake leather pants (heavy) 3/4 helmet...maybe 20 lbs total.

So read, re-read Suzuki instruction on loading-----A. no weight on rear fender--which I think means Givi Rack and Box==my fault
B. Non stock wind shield, maybe creating lift=my fault. C. Hand guards maybe lift?=my fault. D. Non Suzuki recommended tire combo=my fault. E. Bars lowered=my fault. Machine in perfect condition, 18,000 plus miles, same happened at about 10,000 miles with Pirelli Diablos.

So I think bike operated stock as Suzuki designed it ok----make any changes and you may have problem on your hands that could kill you. There is also the "feeling" that the bike has a vertical hinge in the middle. Extreme rear weight bias/flexible frame/tires that grip well probably has something to do with it.

SO: my fix for today check everything.....move Givi Box.....use my "tank bag" on hump, moving weight forward on trips....move bars up and forward, take off hand guards, maybe put CB750 mirrors back on as they have less lift/drag. The GIVI box probably provides weight Problem (it is heavy empty) and high up wind/air drag, too.

AND go slower.....in the mountains the bike is just no fun to ride, comparing it to my other scooters, too. Grandma speed only. Have ridden this bike only once in snow=scary, lots in the rain=makes you think. 90% of Burgman riders may not notice these characteristics, but the 10 % who ride in all conditions and use throttle may.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's unfortunate John that you have had a problem. However, I don't see any intrinsic problem with the 400's handling. I ride all the time in all weathers. Haven't tried snow yet as I'm about to come into the first winter with my B400 here in the UK in just a couple of months. But I ride fast on all types of road, with passengers, with luggage, in all weathers and haven't had a problem ever...yet! Loading any bike as you know is of course a matter for caution. Too much rearward weight can affect handling to the detriment of safety very easily. Most bikes big or small only require a small change from the norm with loading to sometimes experience different handling that just may not be expected by the rider. I come from riding big bikes with very big engines and this is my first maxi. I've been incredibly pleased with how it goes and in particular it's roadholding and handling. It's very near as good as some of the best handling bikes I've owned in the past 42 years. I wonder if your bike just needs setting up a bit better for some of your excursions when you are loaded. I know you are experienced, but maybe there is something you have overlooked. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Fully agree with "QM". Have ridden in all weathers at all speeds with varying loads and also come from a background of large bikes and have never ceased to be amazed just how good the Burgman is. Just wonder if the tyre mix could be an issue.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
While I can certainly make the rear end misbehave, wallowing especially in long corners
its certainly no worse than any other scoot with the same design, and the front is well
up to the job, It's at least as good as I expected and better I would say than the Majesty 400
horses for courses if you want to go fast buy a R1.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Having owned two different 400s, I'll say there are handling differences in each. The first 400, an 07, seemed "tighter" in corners. I didn't feel any looseness in the suspension when I hit a bump. There does seem to be some of that on this 08 400. But when I have felt it, was when I was acting stupid, like going through the North Cascades Highway at about 90 mph and finding some large dips in the corners. When I slowed down to the speed limit, I had no problems. It feels more like what people describe as a scooter suspension.

Something I've noticed is when I experience something "weird", then I look for it and can't relax. It took me months to get past the immediate loss of all air in the rear tire at 60 mph in rush hour traffic. Every time I felt the bike squirm a little because of our lousy pavement, my mind jumped back to that time and I wondered. It wouldn't surprise me that I tense up my grip on the handlebars...which probably makes it worse. Could the same thing be happening to you?

Chris

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree with the previous posters, there is nothing in the handling of my '03 400 that I find unexpected or unpleasant by any means. It's a street machine with a great big glob of unsprung mass at the back end; that the design manages to mask that to the extent it does is somewhat surprising...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have found the Burgman 400 to be quite forgiving, as my third and best scooter. The brakes especially are the best of any bike I have every ridden, thank you ABS.

The few issues I have noticed turned out to be rider input. I usually find I am fighting my counter-steer input with the outside hand. As soon as I relax, or pull a little with the outside hand, all is well. Once these things get in your head, you have to work them out.

Maybe a tick more preload on the rear will help. However I think the tire could be causing conflicting rider inputs. I have a Michellen SC on another scooter, and hate it. I am slowly dialing in a better (lower) pressure, the tire has been well scuffed in, but still transitions in a lean poorly, and wanders too. I have bought my last one for sure.

Hope you sort it out safely,

Tim

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
TwoWheelTim said:
...I have a Michellen SC...and hate it. ...the tire has been well scuffed in, but still transitions in a lean poorly, and wanders too. I have bought my last one for sure.

Hope you sort it out safely,

Tim
+1

Chris

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I've got a 2008 400 and just completed the advanced rider training course on it. The state university runs it on a local go-cart track and by the end of the day we were pushing the bikes hard. Up to the corners, maximum braking, lean over and hit the throttle. I was scraping the center stand now and again and could keep up with all but the hard core sport bikes on the corners, they all beat me on the straights. :? I have a the 45 liter top box up high and it had my winter weight gear in it, about 10 lbs worth + whatever the box weighs. The tires were running about 32 psi and I had the Givi Airflow 266 wind screen and the Pirelli Diablo ties. So, several mods that sound consistent with what you have on your bike and I never noticed anything at all. The bike tracked true as long as *I* was doing things right.

Could there be something misaligned on your bike? Not due to maintenance but wrong from the factory initially? Wheels the tiniest bit off track? I'm hardly an expert at motorcycle handling but your experience seems at odds with mine.

Ray

·
Registered
728 Posts
The Burgman's center of mass is down low. In the list of extras you've added, all of them are at the very opposite end of the spectrum, teetering out as far as possible from the bike's center of mass. Imagine a balanced seesaw; place 50 pounds a foot from the fulcrum and then go and place that same 50 pounds on one of the ends. See which placement causes more -- and quicker -- upset to the seesaw. You've mounted a lot of accessories and stuff up high. Try placing what you can down in the trunk and see what happens.

(BTW, I think the Burgman feels more pronounced to you in this condition because you have ridden real motorcycles before. They carry their weight higher, so anything you add on the rear or wherever doesn't shift the motorcycle's center of mass as much as it does on the scooter.)

I'm a big guy (300 pounds) but I had a blast hauling my 2007 400 through high-speed switchbacks and doing a bit of stand-dragging on U.S. 501 through Balcony Falls, VA (just off the Blue Ridge Parkway). The bike was completely stock and I had unloaded the trunk at the hotel, so all I had in there was a camera and a tire kit. The scooter was a blast and I never felt in danger.

I just read all of the posts in this discussion, and I think you guys just talked me out of a top box for whichever scoot I purchase next year!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If you bought another one, shame on you. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=34586&p=321436&hilit=tmax#p321436 <--- I remember that. I have over 50,000 miles on my Burgman. 50K miles I did not have to put on my BMW. Handles great in the rain, handles great with a MC tire, handles great with a car tire, I just don't see the problems on my scooter you see on ALL of your scooters. Maybe you expect too much from two wheelers? Maybe you have obtained some "bad habits" while riding all those miles. I dunno. As you can see, no one else is having the same problem.

I only get mad and the Burgman when I get 50 MPG due to a head wind. I strictly use mine for commuting 100 miles RT to work.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Quantum Mechanic said:
Haven't tried snow yet as I'm about to come into the first winter with my B400 here in the UK in just a couple of months.
I wouldn't try it. It may do ok in UK snow, but in the snow/ice of Texas - it was a thrill I don't want to repeat. Just don't try it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts