Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new 400 on Friday.......anyone have feedback or suggestions on breaking in my new scoot?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Breaking in a 400

Yeah,

You will have a hard time keeping it below 4,000 rpm. I would say take it easy the first 100 miles or so and then raise that limit to about 4,500 to 5,000 rpms. The 400 just needs the rpms to be useful or else you could get yourselve into some trouble in traffic. I found it impossible to keep to the owner's manual recommendations.

I broke mine in this way and then made sure up to the 800 kms mark I varied the road speed or the engine rpms. Load the engine up once in a while with a roll on. Try not to run at a constant road speed. You could baby the thing too much and glaze the cylinder bores...result is the engine could start burning some oil!

Then at 1,000 kms (600 miles) change the oil, the filter and inspect the tappets. Mine were mostly tight and they needed adjustment. I hope this helps. There will be lots of other ideas.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
RPM recomendations will vary, I broke it in like I would drive it, but carefully. You can safely take it to 5,000 - 6,000 but only for short times then back it off.

Vary the RPMs as much as possible averaging at 4,000, don't poke around @ 30 all day.

Change the oil & filter between 50 and 100 miles (You will see shavings), It is said by other mechanics that 50%-70% of the inital breakin happens @ 20-50 miles. Then change it again @ 800 miles (you will still see some shavings but not as bad). 3,000 mile interval after that.

The bike will be a lot happier. It's not really fully broke in till you have about 3,000 miles on it.

Gradually increase the higher RPM time for about 500-800 miles I was running 2 up @ 70 for a mile or 2 @ 300 miles, No problem, @ 3,000 miles it was still getting stronger.

I apply this method to ALL my equipment with excellent results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Broke-in

I broke mine in hard, and changed the oil in it today with 332 miles on it. I found the shavings he talked about plus piston rings and part of a rocker-arm----no really. Hey it still starts and runs, but smokes alot. Next time i'm going to try to keep it under 8,000 rpm's. NOT! Do as they say, not as i do, do and you will be ok. Hope you like yours as much as i am enjoying mine. The Silver Arrow (that smoke alot), Terry

·
Registered
466 Posts
rlin22,

Just ride it! Go easy but vary the speed, no long/hard loads. Zip up the rpm's on the down hills and after the 600 mile service you can step it up. I flogged mine last weekend after careful break-in and 1000 miles. Hey, the chassis flexes just a bit on the 75 mph sweepers but my Burgman is happy.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
All good advise, just enjoy the ride and don't worry (to much) about break in rules they are there to cover the manufacturer so they don't look to bad when 1 in xxxxx motors has a problem. Todays motors can take a lot more then you think with no ill effects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts