Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the plastic on the Burgman it's too easy to force and break parts, today I attempted the simple task of removing the battery; All the rider's manual says is remove screw 1, remove cover and remove battery...

With the screw removed I've pulled, twisted and banged the cover lid and the bl..dy thing won't come out - unless perhaps I use brute force and break it.

HELP PLEASE for such a simple and mundane item how I'll get on removing the rest of the Tupperware I really don't know but gymnastics are long gone at 77.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The battery cover has 1 screw at the bottom,
& 2 tabs along the top that have a catch-lip.
You'll need to push down on those tab-latches..
both at the same time, to be able remove the
battery cover.
Yep...you'll need 3 hands, 8 fingers, 2 helpers
& a 6-pack of beer, to be able to do it all
at the same time. If you know Houdini,
have him come over to help too.:help:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duster, Thanks... I'll have a try at that, it will be nice to just get it off !

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Duster, Thanks... I'll have a try at that, it will be nice to just get it off ! Jim
Since I don't drink beer,
I had to find a beer-drinker
to help ME, the first time.:banghead:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery Cover Removal - Solved

I had the same problem removing my battery cover the first time on my 2014 400. Once I got it off I took an X-acto knife and shaved the two tabs on the top of the cover so they don't gripe so hard, after all once the holding screw is installed it won't fall off anyway.

Then I put a stainless steel screw in halfway on the bottom center of the cover to serve as a knob for easier removal later. Buy a small black knob if you want it look more professional.

" Keep the shiny up";)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice tip^^^.
I hate the battery removal chore every fall and spring, just hate it, and I'm not getting any better at it as this spring seemed to be the worst ever! 6" more battery cable would be nice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Never had a problem on my 2011 400. As soon as i take the screw off, I just lift the cover a little bit up and pull from the top. It comes out very easily.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there any value to having the battery cover in place, other than aesthetics? I've had mine off for a couple seasons now; Just can't be bothered to put it back when I'm going to have to remove the battery again next fall.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It should have a pad that presses the battery against the back wall thus locking it up and restricting its movement.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
But then nothing will restrict from making a battery major shortcut. :p I like it with the lid

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Probably safer with the battery cover in place. Prevents accidental shorts, and in an accident you won't get problems with the battery sparking openly.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Last year, due to a weak battery, I put the cover on but didn't screw it in place in case I needed to get in there to jump start it.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Last year, due to a weak battery, I put the cover on but didn't screw it in place in case I needed to get in there to jump start it.
A polarized pig-tail from a Battery Tender is all you need
to connect to for jump starting. I have used mine twice...
not for me...but for helping to jump start a H.D. that needed
help in getting started.
I carry a polarized 10 foot extension cord & made up a set
of alligator clamps...in case I ever needed a jump start.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had to pull the battery in my 2011 400 a couple times over the winter to charge it up. Twice it came off easily, the other time I thought I was going to need the Jaws of Life to get it off! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I had to pull the battery in my 2011 400 a couple times over the winter to charge it up. Twice it came off easily, the other time I thought I was going to need the Jaws of Life to get it off! :eek:
My scoot spent 3 winters in an un-heated garage in N. Indiana,
& the polarized pig-tail from my Battery Tender Plus
connected to my batteries did a fine job of keeping them
in good shape....no need to remove'm.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
A polarized pig-tail from a Battery Tender is all you need
to connect to for jump starting. I have used mine twice...
not for me...but for helping to jump start a H.D. that needed
help in getting started.
I carry a polarized 10 foot extension cord & made up a set
of alligator clamps...in case I ever needed a jump start.
I made a set of 8awg jumper cables with alligator clamps on one end. I do like your idea though. You can run enough power/amps through that Battery Tender pigtail to start a dead bike?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Is there any value to having the battery cover in place, other than aesthetics? I've had mine off for a couple seasons now; Just can't be bothered to put it back when I'm going to have to remove the battery again next fall.
I threw mine away the first time I wrestled it off--as long as you have brains enough to not toss something into that side that could short the terminals there is no problem...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts