Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my air filter after riding tonight and wow was it filthy. I know there are a bunch of threads on the air filter in the knowledge base, but they all seem to be from before the K&N became available. So what is the general consensus? Replace with a K&N, do the foam mod, or spend the $56 for an OEM throwaway replacement?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Somebody on here was having problems with the K&N filter, that it wouldn't allow the airbox to seal fully. However they do make a good product. I plan to make my own UNI foam filter for my 2006. I looked but they don't have a custom fit filter for Burgmans but they do sell foam by the sheet. The dust flys often here and it is very fine stuff. All the dirt bike riders I know swear by UNI brand so I tried it. I have used them on my Zuma as well as all my equipment when I ran a lawn care business. They worked great!

http://www.unifilter.com/accessories/

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
K&N. mine works great and its reusable. $56 for an OEM is unconscionable.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Which of the UNI foam sheets do you recommend, the coarse or fine? Does the thickness matter?
I use the 60PPI{pore per inch}black. This is what they make most if not all of the stock replacement filters from. The thickness might matter when it comes to actually fitting. When I find the foam is too thin to be held correctly I use some gasket material and make a frame{had to do this only once}.

If I were running a dirt bike or ATV I would use the dual layer 40/60PPI for added protection{but not needed for street use}. The UNI filters are wet filters meaning they need to be oiled before use. I never used the fancy oil I simply used whatever oil the machine used.

They do require some extra work when it is time to clean but I have never had a UNI filter go bad from normal use. I had one get torn but that was when a trimmer fell off the tailgate of my truck and smashed the airbox. I clean mine with warm water and mild degreaser. I have used carb cleaner to clean them in a pinch but wouldn't recommend it for normal cleaning. They make special cleaner and oil but too rich for my budget!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You guys seem to pay a lot for the standard Suzi filter. I paid £23 from Suzi dealer. That's a lot less than $56. I think just over $31, but not sure what the exchange rate is. Suzi has lowered the price of some of it's parts over here.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
+1. Same here. If somebody was having issues with the box not sealing properly, probably it wasn't seated correctly, the only drawback of the K&N filter, its that it takes 5 seconds more to install it, the first times until you get used to it.

Big advantage is that you can clean it whenever you want, I usually do it after doing some off road ride, yeah I've done that haha..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just bought my 08 400 recently and didn't like the sound with the K&N filter. I switched to the stock and is much better sound, in my opinion. Not sure it's any less loud, but is certainly less objectionable to my ears. Mileage seemed to go down a bit, but I've been running hard lately and at the same time I switched the air filter I switched the stock windscreen to a Givi Airflow. So, who knows?

In my opinion, the most unconscionable thing is what you have to do to change the filter. I cussed the Suzuki engineers every way I could think of getting that filter in.

John

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I bought a new oem filter and washed out the old one. I will use that next time I do the filter change.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought a new oem filter and washed out the old one. I will use that next time I do the filter change.
What he did. The OEM can be soaked in Simple Green, dried and replaced many times. I have two because it takes a long time to air dry. You don't want to get all manly with the material, it needs to stay fluffy.

$56 hope that includes tax, plus free coffee and doughnut. I paid a touch over $40.00 from my dealer.

Ride on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I replaced my stock filter with a K&N, I was not impressed at all with the fit.
Mine did not fit. When I got the bike the back tabs were loose. The tabs were sitting on top of the notches in the back. There was one screw missing on the front of the cover and the other screw was only part way in because the threads were stripped. I had to cut new threads on both sides to get the screws in. I also had to shave a bit of the edge on the actual filter cover (next to the metal part) on the OEM filter so it would fit. Probably a 1/6th of an inch off the back crown of the filter cover would have been a great help.

I think all these problems were due to the poorly fitting air filter.

Has anyone taken the time to take out the cover below the seat to be able to get to the back of the air filter? I would think that would help things a lot.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too had trouble installing new OEM air filter. What finally worked, once I was 100% sure I had everything, including tabs, lined up right, was a quick rap from soft (pinky finger) end of my fist. It went in on first try, with a nice satisfying sound. I'm not implying use of great force, more the suddenness of the impact. Also, to lengthen life of filter and replacement interval, I stretched a short stocking over the end of the snorkel (the end that plugs into the filter, to make sure it wouldn't come loose). Hopefully, this 44 cent "prefilter" will greatly lengthen the life of the $56 OEM one! Bike has run perfectly for couple thousand miles since and gotten up to 67 mpg, so I don't think I'm significantly restricting the intake. Alternatively, I considered a sheet of home a/c filter foam laid on top of filter. Lastly, I've since read, perhaps on this forum, that having the bike on the sidestand makes air filter installation easier due to significantly more room under frame tube, but haven't tried it myself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleaned out my dirty filter by following the tutorial. Put it back on and it runs a lot stronger. Gas milage seems to be up a couple mpg. I also ordered a foam filter. I will eventually cut the paper out of the original filter and replace it with the foam. Anything I need to watch out for when doing the foam filter mod?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 400 burgman. I like the k and n filter. Cant tell a difference in gas mileage or sound.
I also have a 2012 400. My question is simple: How on earth do you get the air filter/box OUT? I have a Haynes manual and I've watched a YouTube but the pictures don't match what I see on my 2012? Thanks!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since most of these are likely made in China anyways, I ordered mine direct. $9.00 shipped. It came nicely packaged, too. Even had a piece of styrofoam over the 2 prongs to keep them from breaking. It has the finer metal mesh on the backside like the HiFlo. It's well made and hard to believe only cost $9.00 I snapped some pics of what the filter looks like.
http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-...Skywave-400-AN400-p-1055628.html?rmmds=search

1 - 20 of 21 Posts