Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently researching my first scooter purchase. I am very interested in the 400 Burgman but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. 90 % of my driving will be at speeds less than 50 mph. The other 10% will be less than 60. What mpg can I expect with the 400? Are there any particular service items I should be aware of? Is the power sufficient for city commuting - stopping and starting etc?

Thanks in advance for all help. And thanks for the info shared on this forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
TimNC said:
I am currently researching my first scooter purchase. I am very interested in the 400 Burgman but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. 90 % of my driving will be at speeds less than 50 mph. The other 10% will be less than 60. What mpg can I expect with the 400? Are there any particular service items I should be aware of? Is the power sufficient for city commuting - stopping and starting etc?

Thanks in advance for all help. And thanks for the info shared on this forum.
Tim,

I get an overall average of just over 60 MPG. With the speeds under 60, you should get better than I do. Off the light, no other vehicles have beat me in acceleration other than another bike. The 400 is a GREAT city commuter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
400 advice needed

:D Tim welcome to the form. I bought the 400 first sounds to me like it just might be the bike for you. 8) However there are some draw backs in serviceing the 400. Valve guide adjustment are recommened every 4000 or 4500 miles or so i can't remenber which. These are fairley expense if you can't do them your self. The way i've heard it the 650 cost more to do it's valve guides but they can wait longer up to 15000 miles. I own both. My wife rides the 400 & i ride the 650. I love the way the 650 handles better than the 400. But the 650 dosen't get as good a mileage as the 400. Both are good scoots. Both have advanages over the other one.Both have disadvanages over the other one. It realey boils down to which you might like the best. :D Good luck on your scoot. may you have many happy miles. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. :hello2:

The 400 is a great first bike, fits your intended useage pattern and overall will have lower cost of ownership than the 650 on all counts: fuel, tyres and servicing.

The servicing aspect is more amenable to home wrenching than the 650 and it is worth learning how to do this stuff to give you the satisfaction that the job is done well as much as to save $$$.

A combination of the Service Manual and this forum will go a long way to assist.

PS: I will say though that you may find it ever so easy to broach those speed 'targets' you set out - the 400 is a swift machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. I can do my own repairs so the mechanical thing isn't a problem. It seems that everything I read the 400 meets or surpasses my requirements - initial costs, mpg, service requirements etc. especially with the info on this forum added to the equation.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Tim, if your work is such that you can come down to High Point on Wednesday morn you can have a look, and maybe a ride, on a 400. Three of us with 400's meet every wed, wx permitting, for breakfast and a ride.
PM me if you want more info.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top