Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shooting video on Rhodes last summer, in the old city, when these folks buzzed past me. Toots told me there were 4 on it so I snapped the camera around just a they were disappearing around a building, so the photo is not too good.

Family on a scooter

Peace

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
All I can say is there are stupid people in every country.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you pauljo. I also can understand how we who are lucky enough to live in such relative plenty could lose sight of or not be aware of that. I've posted this photo on other boards to almost unanimous negative comments, including cries to take the children away from the parents.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yeah. I lived in Samsun, Turkey for 9 months while I was in the USAF. That was back in 1969. I tried to explain to some local kids in a town I visited that in the USA most families had at least 2 cars. They thought I was crazy. There was only 1 man in their village wealthy enough to own a personal car - and it was a very plain 6 cyl Chevy. Any other cars were taxi's. Went down into Mexico a couple of years later, and once I got a couple of miles south of the border, the pavement ended, and economic conditions were very poor. It's a big reality check to visit places like that. Despite our problems, we really do have it good here in the USA.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
My son and I went to Russia about 6 years ago. We visited a school to drop off a load of school supplies we had carried and my son was invited to spend a couple of days in the English classes. The teacher asked the class, "What is the most convenient way to travel." The answers from the students were walk, bus, and bicycle. My son told them, "You're crazy. The most convenient is car." The class just stared at him. He said, "You know. Just go out the front door, get in your car, and go where you want." It was then explained to him that only 2 out of the students families had cars and they didn't use them much because of the cost of fuel. The class found it shocking that we had 2 vehicles when only one in the house could drive.

For my son, it was a real eye opener. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts