Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from holiday (Vacation) and a 200 mile round trip.
The 650 Burgman performed really well 85-90mph cruising (my own private road of course..... )
Going there it rained most of the way and the burgman got a good soaking.
I then parked it up for a week, it was parked outside with a cover on.
When the time came to return, I removed said cover and fired it up, but it was only running on one cylinder
I kept the scoot running in the hope that it would dry out the moisture (if that was the problem). I also checked the exhaust pipes, the right one was hot, but the left just warm, so the trouble was with the left Pot.
Once a bit of heat was generated, the other cyclinder started to cut in, until it was running perfect. The return 100 mile journey was uneventful, and the Scoot perfomed flawlessly.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem was, and if I can do any preventitive measures to ensure it doe'snt happen again

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Just a guess but with the clues of a 'moisture laden environment' - I would go for the HT on the affected side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Running on 1 lung

You must've got water in the gas which caused the Fuel Injector on that cylinder to clog, install some "Heet", or Fuel Injector Cleaner...I don't know but Car Fuel Injector Cleaner may work, Suzuki has some For our Bikes as well :?

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you felt the pipes and there was no heat it was likely a lack of fuel and not electrical. If it were electrial most likely both cylinders would be dead. The latter senario is the better because it cleared up. So now that it cleared up then I would consider your fuel source.

Did you get the last tank of gas from a reputable place (Chevron, Shell, Exxon) or some fly by night gasoline station. The gas tank has a fuel filter (just like BMW's) inside the tank and if this gets plugged then you could possibly have a problem. But if it occured as you described then maybe water got into the tank and since water will settle at the bottom of the tank then maybe a small volume was sucked into your fuel system. Keep tabs on it. I wouldn't worry now that its OK.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've had that happen twice when using the mid-grade gas with 10% ethanol. Bike had sat for a day or two both times. Engine would run on one cylinder briefly (less than a minute), then it resumed normal operation. I'm pretty sure it is due to water in the injectors. I'm going to be running regular 87 octane for the rest of the season, since the bike is likely to be sitting a bit longer between rides due to weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your right ignition coil, perhaps it's not well seated in and some water might have gotten between the coil and spark plug, that later evaporated while the engine was heating.

Y.M.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Blew a hole through the top of a piston once on a 250 cc 2 cycle Yamaha. Rode home about ten miles & then the next day to the motorcycle shop which was when I found out what had happened.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
gruntled said:
Blew a hole through the top of a piston once on a 250 cc 2 cycle Yamaha. Rode home about ten miles & then the next day to the motorcycle shop which was when I found out what had happened.
Got my Yamaha 250cc 2-stroke so hot that the engine seized, melted the rings & welded them to the piston on one side. Let it cool off, started it (some piston slap of course), and rode it the remaining 800 miles to get home. Cost me $50 to get it fixed. It was amazing the amount of abuse those engines would take and still run. I sure don't want one back though...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fault Update
Well its been a couple of weeks since I had the above fault, and the scoot has not missed a beat.....until today.
Yesterday it was dry, rode the scoot home and put it away for the night.
Got up this morning and fired the scoot up and the same problem!
Running on just one cylinder at first, misfiring etc etc. The other cylinder gradually came in until it was running fine again.
Went to see the dealer, and as expected he cannot offer any advice, except to wait until it fails completely...... I can understand their problem, trying to find a fault will be impossible with the scoot running perfect.
I am beginning to think it is not damp or ignition, but a fueling problem.
Perhaps when its cold, the left cylinder is not receiving extra fuel (i.e cold start)???

Any ideas

Andy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Cold doesn't affect mine. It starts and runs great in 30 degree temps. I've had that happen a couple of times (running briefly on one cyinder at startup), and I believe it has always been when I've been running the 89 octane gas with ethanol in it. So I thought it might have something to do with that. Considering that I've now put over 12000 miles on the scoot and this has only happened a couple of times, I'm not losing any sleep over it. But it would still be nice to understand what causes it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts