Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300 miles today. first really good weather in the NE.

Got behind a rider on 1A, looked like a Ninja, yep, guy was all dressed out in road gear. H'es goin' kinda slow, I know there are alot of cops.

I have a passing lane. Here we go. Normal mode full throttle, and hold it...passing the dude. 110 mph.....he stomps me, obviously. We go on for a while close riding. Waving, I give thumbs up and smile.

At the next light....he raises visor and says " not bad , what is that ?"

I tell him, ...."blah blah Burgman, 650 cvt, blah blah bleh ...."

I say, " ...so I had your ass there for a while...huh..?"

He said, "I had four more gears to go...!"

Be cool rider !!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
abm said:
300 miles today. first really good weather in the NE.

Got behind a rider on 1A, looked like a Ninja, yep, guy was all dressed out in road gear. H'es goin' kinda slow, I know there are alot of cops.

I have a passing lane. Here we go. Normal mode full throttle, and hold it...passing the dude. 110 mph.....he stomps me, obviously. We go on for a while close riding. Waving, I give thumbs up and smile.

At the next light....he raises visor and says " not bad , what is that ?"

I tell him, ...."blah blah Burgman, 650 cvt, blah blah bleh ...."

I say, " ...so I had your ass there for a while...huh..?"

He said, "I had four more gears to go...!"

Be cool rider !!!!!!

That's funny....sounds like something I would do.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Funny story, and I suspect that your Ninja riding friend wasn't quite telling the truth.

I still ride geared high performance (163bhp) machines and understand the strenghts and weaknesses of both the eCVT and conventional bike packages. I'm not sure what type of roads you were riding on (I'm not familiar with 1A), but there are several roads over here where a race rep rider would find that he couldn't get our of second or third gear, if he wanted to keep the bike in the torque and or power zone. It doesn't neccessarily mean that he had a lot in reserve...

110mph on a Ninja could be second gear, but he would be near the readline. Unless you could hear his engine screaming (you would have regardless of whether he had aftermarket or standard mufflers fitted) it's safe to assume that he was in a much higher gear than second - probably 3rd or 4th.

Besides, with bikes like that geared for 175mph, in road riding situations nobody gets to use "ALL" the gears to the max - unless they have a death wish. Your friend is probably stil cursing under his helmet that you made him work so hard to keep you at bay!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lycheed said:
Funny story, and I suspect that your Ninja riding friend wasn't quite telling the truth.

Besides, with bikes like that geared for 175mph, in road riding situations nobody gets to use "ALL" the gears to the max - unless they have a death wish. Your friend is probably stil cursing under his helmet that you made him work so hard to keep you at bay!
We were rolling about 35 mph when I rolled on, he was proably in 2nd when I did that behind him and he might have had 3 or 4 more cogs to go...but you are right...only initially, not at 110.

·
Registered
498 Posts
abm, undesrtood - you were in the Burgman killer zone (sub-50mph). I've been telling my fellow x11 owners that in the Burgman 650 I have found a steed that out-torques the 11 - and at double the torque on paper of the Burgman it doesn't immedeately make sense. However, considering the efficiency of eCVT at keeping the engine in it's torque zone (or power zone in Power Mode) it's no surpirse at all.

Next race rep you come across, do it again. Although they will pull past you, they'll have to work a lot harder than they would like to admit to to keep with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts