Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang...

Joined this group last year thinking I would get a 650. Asked tons of questions to others as I haven’t ever ridden a Motorcycle/Big Scooter. Honestly got just enough “spooked” by stories from every single person I asked about “accidents” they’ve had over the years. Every single one of them had one. Some just minor, some with major health issues from it.

So, woulda 3-wheeler offer any inherently safer ride than a 650/400... or any 2 wheel than a 3-wheeler?

Thanks for your opinions.

Pat

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Typically three wheelers don’t fall over but they are not as safe as a four wheeler.

Get an electric bicycle to get a taste of the joy of twisting a throttle to move. Once you have mastered and maxed out the capabilities of the bicycle you will know if you want a B400.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Motorcycles crash
Scooters crash
3-Wheelers crash
4-Wheelers crash
Bicycles crash
Adult Mobility Scooters crash
Airplanes crash
City Buses crash

So stay at home under the bed to be safe..... or just do what you can to mitigate the risks in life, be careful, cautious, and prudent in your riding....... AND ENJOY LIFE!!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Steve's Philosophy on Scooter Safety

When you are riding, everything is all right or it is not all right.

If it is all right there is no need to worry. If it is not all right one of two things will happen. Either you will crash or you will not crash.

If you do not crash there is no need to worry. If you do crash one of two things is certain. Either you will be injured or you will not be injured.

If you are not injured there is no need to worry. If you are injured one of two things is certain. Either you will recover or you will not recover.

If you recover there is no need to worry. If you don't recover you can't worry.

So relax and enjoy your Riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Gang...

Joined this group last year thinking I would get a 650. Asked tons of questions to others as I haven’t ever ridden a Motorcycle/Big Scooter. Honestly got just enough “spooked” by stories from every single person I asked about “accidents” they’ve had over the years. Every single one of them had one. Some just minor, some with major health issues from it.

So, woulda 3-wheeler offer any inherently safer ride than a 650/400... or any 2 wheel than a 3-wheeler?

Pat
Significant injuries and fatalities almost always involve a collision with another vehicle or with a stationary object. 3 wheels won't help with those.
If every single person you asked has had accidents, I'd suggest you find different riding buddies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeez.... Tough crowd. I just asked for a little guidance here... and I get bombed with a nuclear explosion.

Surprising coming from a Canadian.... you guys are supposed to be neighborly and friendly. Guess some always slip thru the cracks from time to time.

And just so you know Steve Toronto.... I flew fighter jets in the US military, Transports in the military, Airliners for 31 years.... so DON”T **** TELL ME ABOUT DANGER!! *******

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
OK we need to back it down a bit. Sorry.

Patrick, I am a huge trike fan. I will not own a 'Delta' style with two wheels in back and one up front as I know they are more dangerous that just two wheels. But a 'Tadpole' or Reverse Trike is very stable and fun.
Las Vegas is a bit too far for me to help you build one and unless you have $60,000 for a T-Rex you may need to look at the Riker but they have their own issues.

I tried to buy the manufacturing of a trike kit for a guy in England. The deal was I'd pay him $50 for every frame kit I sold to use his design and name. It was a great deal but the current license holder sold the only frame to jig off of and lost the paper plans. You can not get the kit anymore and there were 12 total built. There may be 1 kit for sell in Texas that is 1/2 done.
This is Ed's build of a Burgman 400 powered Eco-Exo trike. More pictures on the home page too.

Ed-Eco-Exo-R-Exomotive-2.jpg

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
It’s harder to fall off a trike, it’s less likely to highside and can’t really lowside, you have more stability and you are a little larger so more obvious visually.
Depending on the structure you generally have less chance of direct contact, particularly if you ride “in” the trike and are strapped down. So there are bound to be trivial scratched body-work v lost leg scenarios.

On the other side, many trikes are amateur designs and handling is variable, some are awful.
2 wheels at the front “tadpole” trikes are more stable than 2 at the rear.

However, its hard to quantify the difference. When I used to get figures on this stuff the US did not differentiate between 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles so there weren’t any hard figures to appraise the difference in risk on.

I have sympathy with your reaction on the “...stay in bed” comments.
I get the same answer quite often about various things, it’s often funny having spent the day in some of the loudest, most dangerous machinery available to mankind looking for the edges.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Jeez.... Tough crowd. I just asked for a little guidance here... and I get bombed with a nuclear explosion.

Surprising coming from a Canadian.... you guys are supposed to be neighborly and friendly. Guess some always slip thru the cracks from time to time.

And just so you know Steve Toronto.... I flew fighter jets in the US military, Transports in the military, Airliners for 31 years.... so DON”T TELL ME ABOUT DANGER!! ***
what branch of service and what aircraft, just out of curiosity

·
Registered
513 Posts
Patrick - It's like that with some members. Just sluff it off and wait for a response from someone more constructive.

This is what I recommend: 2 or 3 wheels - Go for 2. Because, you having your pilot background that you have, I'm guessing if you were on a 3 wheeler you would continue to wonder what it is like on a 2 wheeler. There is something magical ... or "connected" about riding a motorcycle. And leaning it through turns. You become one with a machine. I love machines. It is a wonder how they are so good at what they do. And ... a motorcycle is dependent on the rider. When you come to a stop and just step off, the bike is going down. It needs you to hold it up. It is man and machine, very much how I think piloting an aircraft would be. If you don't do some of that pilot stuff, it will hit the ground harder than it would if you did do pilot stuff.

And, I say go for 2 wheels because if you start riding and decide it's not for you, you can sell it, wash your hands of it and be done with it. Move on to 3 wheels at that time if you want to. But there's no way a 3 wheeler is going to give you the same feeling as a 2 wheeled motorcycle. No friggin way.

As for 400 or 650. Again, both are good. But if you get a 400, you'll probably continue to wonder what the 650 would be like. If you get a 650, more than likely you'll never think about the 400 again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Gang...

Pat
I have had over 100 motorcycles, 3 spyders, and currentl 3 scooters...honda reflex 250, yamaha majesty 400 and a 2015 burgman 650. Crashed my harley at 75mph when a deer tried and failed to jump over me. got my first bike at 13 in 1978 and always had one since. i have zero regrets from riding. i know a spyder f3 is in the cards due to my now bad knees. key thing is to ride what you feel comfortable and safe with. enjoy life as you see fit as we never know when our time is up............keep the rubber side down........crashin' sucks

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Many will say a trike is just like driving a Miata. "Just get a Miata"

It is not and the first ride in an open cockpit trike will have you grinning as big as the Burgman Grin.
If you took a Miata and cut it down to a 1 seater and removed most of its body and mass then yes the two may be the same.

There are a few leaning trikes out there.

Another very good trike but NOT cheap is the 'Tilting Motor Works' conversion to a Full size Goldwing or Harley. It has two wheels up front but has a tilting system so you carve the corners like two wheels. So if you have a Goldwing 1800 and can afford another $9K+ for the kit install.....

(The video was shot on a mountain pass that Daboo and I ride, North Cascades Hy)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

And just so you know Steve Toronto.... I flew fighter jets in the US military, Transports in the military, Airliners for 31 years.... so DON”T TELL ME ABOUT DANGER!! ***
First off, no malice intended. If you read what I said, I said you can stay at home under the bed... OR... mitigate the risks. Seems like you've spent some time in your life mitigating risks as well. And while I might not have had the chance to fly "fast movers", I have flown an airliner or two, multi etc, but where my heart lies in aviation is flying (soaring) with no engine at all. There's a certain challenge (energy management) to doing aerobatics sans engine and very long wings! Slightly different than flogging a stubby biplane around the sky with an absurd roll rate!

To that end, two wheels has a sublime feel of "banking" it into a corner that riding on three wheels could never match. And even on two, you at least don't have to worry about keeping the "ball centered" unless you completely overcook it and exceed the slip angle of the tire.

And for many of us riding on two, there likely will come a day when increasing age and diminishing strength will mean giving up all together or finding three for the road. Somewhere in my future will likely be a "tadpole" CanAm Spyder or derivative of some sort.

Ride safe, manage risk, and enjoy!

Steve

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I have't done Gliders since 1975 or so. We have excellent Thermo's up here. There is nothing like the G-Force of a thermo uplift that you can't see. Then timing your turns to stay in it.

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I was once told long ago, "Life is like a roll of toilet paper....the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes...."

So go out and get what YOU want and enjoy before the time comes when you can't.

If you want 2 wheels, fine.
If someone wants 3 wheels, fine.
If you don't want 3 wheels, fine but keep your comments close and don't crap on someone else's thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I meant no disrespect by suggesting an electric bicycle ...... and I’ll suggest it again.

When you said “I haven’t ever ridden a Motorcycle/Big Scooter” ...I think an E-Bike would give you a good taste of powered cycling.

I hope you can appreciate my concern for your safety and wallet along with my encouragement of your exploration of powered two wheeling.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I think I snipped this out of a old AMA 'Motorcyclist' from many years back. Paul Van Valkenburgh is a well known race car engineer and writer.

Three wheel Dynamics.jpg

Reactions: Patrick8429
1 - 20 of 27 Posts