Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would give a report on my 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400 after 3 months of riding it. I purchased it on 2/24/2014. It was well used with 27994 miles on it, but everything worked and it ran well. This was my 3rd scooter in less than a year trying to find something that would achieve my goals of:
1. Dependable transportation to put less miles on my truck, driving to work at least twice a week. My daily commute is 100 miles, so twice a week is 10,000 miles a year.
2. Fuel economy of at least 50 MPG and hopefully 75 MPG, 2x and 3 x the MPG of my truck.
3. Powerful enough for Interstate traffic (75 mph consistently and up to a strong 80+ MPH in emergencies)
My first scooter / motorcycle (at 51 years old) was a cheap used Chinese 150 cc, great to learn on and not have to worry about tearing up! My second (11/2013 – 2/2014) was a Kymco PeopleS 200. I love the scooter, but at a top speed of 63 mph it did not fit my needs.
Here are my impressions of the Burgman 400. I love it! The top speed is 90 MPH (verified by GPS, 97 indicated) and it is strong all the way up to that speed. It feels like it is going to climb to 100+, but just quickly levels off at 90. That was at a slight uphill with my 180+ lbs. I have ridden 2 up with my daughter (100+ lbs) with no noticeable performance difference.
The storage is fantastic. The dash storage compartments (3) are large enough for my rain suit, sunglasses, cell phone (plugged into the power port!), paperwork and more. The under seat trunk has enough room for my helmet, riding jacket, gloves, straps, extra oil, tools, Thermos and more. The luggage rack is great for a couple of 20# bags of dog food on grocery trips.
The gas mileage exceeds my requirement of 50 MPG but falls short of my goal of 75 MPG. My average over the past 3 months is 58.3 MPG (high of 65.1 low of 53). This includes a lot of playing around with the bike and trying different fuels and additives. I have found that I get the best results by just buying 87 octane outside of Jefferson county. The fuel blend for the Birmingham area (thanks EPA!) makes my MPG drop and makes the idle drop a little, causing the engine to die at traffic lights occasionally. Gas from St. Clair or Talladega counties does not do this. By the way, pure 93 octane caused my MPG to drop. It would be easy to get my average over 60 MPG if I would slow down a little! I typically ride Hwy 78 to I-20, I-459, and in Hoover. My 100 mile commute is mostly (80 + miles) Interstate. If I would keep my speed at 65 mph or less, it would be an easy 60 mpg +.
How much have I ridden? This has really surprised me. I love riding and rarely drive my truck now. Month 1 – 1027 miles. Month 2 – 1450 miles. Month 3 – 1640 miles! A total of 4117 miles from 2-24-2014 to 5-24-2014. At an average of 6.1 cents per mile (at roughly $3.50 a gallon) for the Burgman and 15.8 cents a mile for my 4 cyl 5 speed Nissan truck, I am saving a lot of money!
I am considering purchasing or building another bike to try and get to that 75 MPG goal (dream?). The Honda CTX700 might be in my future. If the Burgman 400 was easily modified it would probably be my permanent bike.
:blob5:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Glad to read that you like your 2006 400 so much. And good to see what kind of milage you are getting. I am buying a 2006 400 from a friend. It will be my daily ride doing 40-60 miles each day. I have never ridden on the highway before because I currently ride a 50cc scoot. But at least now I will have that option.

A co-worker of mine has a Honda CTX700 and he likes it a lot. Not sure what milage he gets however.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well, you seemed to have done it right. When people tell me they want to "save" money by buying a bike, I tell them to not to. Most people do the wrong thing, if they want to save money. They go out and buy new, or a very late model, heavy-maintenance, completely impractical bike ala Harley or something they think cool, replete with all the expensive new gear. Then proceed to ride it very little because it is so impractical and within a year, they have a very expensive mistake sitting in the garage.

You have done it the right way. You bought a Good used bike, one miserly in the maintenance costs, mindful of fuel prices, practical enough to function as a car replacement but most of all, you ride it. The 400 really is the best commuting bike on the road. Nothing can beat its combination of power, comfort, storage, protection, etc.

So far as a future bike, why fool around with a good thing? You've already got the best commuting vehicle on the planet. How many miles would you have to ride to make up for the additional cost of an NC700? At maybe only 15 extra mpg, that would be a lot. Plus what do you lose, storage, full protection, auto tranny, relaxed seating position. I've read differing reports on the 700. Some good, some bad. Don't follow up a great decision with a mediocre one.

My advice would be just to keep the 400, put on mellow music when you ride, and slow down a bit, the 400 can get 60+ mpg.

But that's me. Ive had my 400 for eight years and still commute on it. Enjoy the bike and whatever one your future holds. You've done well so far.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I sold my 2006 Burgman 400 a month or so ago, well actually I traded it in on a smaller scooter because I don't travel very far from home any more. It is still for sale at the dealer in Canton, Georgia. I believe he has dropped the price to $3,000 now. It only had 8,000 miles on it when I traded it in. (It has a Givi windscreen and topbox as well as additional brake lights, plus a brand new City Grip tire on the back, and it runs like a scalded dog. Loved that bike!) I put all of the mileage on it. If you want to get better mileage out of your B400 go to Walmart and buy some Ethanol stabilizer. Most bikes run terrible on this new mix of 10% ethanol. Also, get some Seafoam to clean out the injectors, since ethanol builds up crap in them. Mine was getting 70 mpg on the highway, and it did hit 100 mph, though the speedometer is off like yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
During breaking in my new cylinder on my K6, I got 65MPG because I couldn't go beyond 4000 RPM the first 800 kilometers. Now I'm near the end of the breaking in period, going to 6000 RPM and still do 61MPG.

Before the cylinder ceasing, I did 58 - 59MPG easily, strolling around at 65 - 69MPH.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Very nice Gene!
I was fortunate enough to get my used 2005 when I was being paid $0.47 per mile for business use and it actually paid itself off in about a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts