Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work today when I was driving a 26,000 GVW F450 SD dually Bucket truck, I was sitting at a red light. When the light turned green I started to proceed thru the intersection. Now I have excellent peripheral vision for a human and this was the saving grace for these 3 Harley riders. I was doing maybe 25 MPH and in corner of my left eye I seen movement and started to cover the brake as I turned my head. These 3 bikers were blowing a red light doing well over 70 MPH in a 35 zone. I seen them about the same time as the leader seem me and he got on the brakes and the two others behind him split around him. IF I had not covered the brakes and was now into the anti-lock, all three would have broad sided this truck. They missed the nose of the truck by inches at most. There is a red light camera at this crossing but it only snaps pictures of the front and we only have plates on the rear of bikes.

The truck is a 2014 and the same type as in this (Snoozeville) Vid. The boom will go 37 feet up, much higher than in the vid.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well... Where are the pictures of the Harley riders?. I sat through the Snoozeville short and got no action shot of the bikers.... I feel sooooo short-changed.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If Dave had been a second longer getting on his brakes, I suspect we might have had pictures of the Harleys - implanted in the side of his truck. Thank you Dave for being observant, you most likely saved three lives by catching them in the corner of your eye.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Administrator
20,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger, I posted that vid just to show the size of the F450. I work for Frontier telephone company and that is the same type truck I was driving.

I think that if the three bikes had hit the truck broadside, the truck would have been pushed sideways about 25 feet. Imagine the G forces of going 70 MPH to DEAD stopped in 25 feet. Three Harleys and riders are about 2100 pounds, the truck as driving with all equipment/tools/cable/jacks is about 18,000. 2,100/18,000 = :( :angel7:

My peripheral vision has saved my bacon 1000's of times in my life. This time it saved 3 others, that I am sure.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you're grossing 18,000lbs on an F-450, you need to immediately stop taking the truck unless and until items can be unloaded so it is at a safe running weight! The F-450 has a maximum GVWR of 16,500!

·
Administrator
20,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These F450 Superdutys are rated at 26,000 GVW. When Altec gets them from Ford there are many mods done. I am only guessing here, I have not weighed one but the DOT sticker on the side reads 26,000 Lbs.

The bens on these are packed with every type of wall jacks, ADSL modems, splice connectors, hand tools, test gear, small 4 pair inside cable, RG-6 coax, satellite broadband equipment, Fios ONT's, 100 feet each of 25, 50 and 100 pair cable for repairs,..... It all adds up.

But what ever the Gross weight is, the 3 Harley riders would not have cared much if I did not see them in time.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Dave, Nice save! I hope the idiots you saved appreciate your alertness!!!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Dave, Nice save! I hope the idiots you saved appreciate your alertness!!!!
Their probably telling their buddies about the a$$hat that had the temerity to run a green light in front of them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
These F450 Superdutys are rated at 26,000 GVW. When Altec gets them from Ford there are many mods done. I am only guessing here, I have not weighed one but the DOT sticker on the side reads 26,000 Lbs.

The bens on these are packed with every type of wall jacks, ADSL modems, splice connectors, hand tools, test gear, small 4 pair inside cable, RG-6 coax, satellite broadband equipment, Fios ONT's, 100 feet each of 25, 50 and 100 pair cable for repairs,..... It all adds up.

But what ever the Gross weight is, the 3 Harley riders would not have cared much if I did not see them in time.
They might be tagged for it (many states require a commercial truck pulling a trailer to tag for the COMBINED load)...but they are not rated for anywhere near that weight. The AXLE ratings only add up to about 18K.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Your the Man Dave!
Look Twice Save a Life!
Way to be alert to your surroundings!

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have several of the F450 booms at our yard. My T40 would have given them less clearance as the front bumper extends 20"+ from the grill. Would have sheared off a leg or 3.

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts