Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an 05 burgman before my current one. It lasted a year before the motor gave out. A month later, the motor went out again but for the upper part. Foolishly, I paid to have the motor rebuilt twice.

Fast forward to my second 05 le, I'm having the same issue. Dropped it at the shop and the first time they said it could've been a belt. Second time, they're hearing knocking in the motor and said the engine sounds like it's on its way out. I'll speak with the mechanic a little more later but I'm trying to figure out the best situation financially. I don't really have the patience to piece it out but I could pay more to have him diagnose it and possibly find a solution. Supposedly, there's a half and half chance of it being something not so serious.

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So I had an 05 burgman before my current one. It lasted a year before the motor gave out. A month later, the motor went out again but for the upper part. Foolishly, I paid to have the motor rebuilt twice.

Fast forward to my second 05 le, I'm having the same issue...

Any tips?
Stop buying 05 Burgmans?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may get more reply's if you mention the actual problem you're having.
I stated that there is a knocking sound in the motor and that I'll speak more with him later. They're telling me I could pay more to fully diagnose it but it could be a motor rebuild, essentially.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I stated that there is a knocking sound in the motor and that I'll speak more with him later. They're telling me I could pay more to fully diagnose it but it could be a motor rebuild, essentially.
Is there any particular reason why you would want to spend more money on equipment that has fully demonstrated its poor reliability and need for expensive repairs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any particular reason why you would want to spend more money on equipment that has fully demonstrated its poor reliability and need for expensive repairs?
It could've been a lemon the first time. That's why I'm asking on a website full of enthusiats and people who may know more about my bike than I do.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It could've been a lemon the first time. That's why I'm asking on a website full of enthusiats and people who may know more about my bike than I do.
I see. The shop said, "the engine sounds like it's on its way out." I'd be inclined to believe them, given the issues with the first one, and just ride it until it rides no more, and then replace it with a different year/make/model vehicle, that is less likely to have this issue. Just my view :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lightening does not often strike the same place twice so I wonder what you are doing / not doing to have three + engines fail? :confused:

I may be making a mistake but it seems to me the common denominator and biggest clue is the owner. As to the plan of attack, first find out what you are doing wrong. You can then make a decision based on the fact you either continue doing whatever it is and pay the price or stop riding it and don't use a AN 400. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see. The shop said, "the engine sounds like it's on its way out." I'd be inclined to believe them, given the issues with the first one, and just ride it until it rides no more, and then replace it with a different year/make/model vehicle, that is less likely to have this issue. Just my view :)
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Anyone heard of these issues? Mines had around 40k miles on it. Any idea on what I could get for it selling as is? It is le but not sure how much of a difference it makes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lightening does not often strike the same place twice so I wonder what you are doing / not doing to have three + engines fail? :confused:

I may be making a mistake but it seems to me the common denominator and biggest clue is the owner. As to the plan of attack, first find out what you are doing wrong. You can then make a decision based on the fact you either continue doing whatever it is and pay the price or stop riding it and don't use a AN 400. :rolleyes:
First time it broke down, it was likely my fault. First vehicle ever so didn't do proper maintenance. Second time, I think the shop did a botched job the first time

Did everything I could to prevent a third. I do ride fairly hard though (at least 90 mph usually). Not sure if that was a factor

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
My guess is that you are letting the oil level get to low. The 03-06 400s are generally reliable but some of them are prone to using oil when ridden at high speeds. They don't burn it in the normal manner. They draw it through the air filter via the crankcase breather hose. If you have one that does you have to keep a frequent check on the oil level, especially if you ride at high speeds. They only hold 2 quarts of oil so if you let them get a quart low then you are running dangerously low.

If you continue to buy 03-06 400s and you ride them fast then I suggest you check the oil at least every other time you buy gas and keep it topped up to the full mark. Either that or go to an 07+ 400 or a different bike altogether.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I do ride fairly hard though (at least 90 mph usually).
I'm wondering where you live that you can
run that kind of speed. I know that there are
places in W. Texas & Montana where speeds
are posted at 80 MPH.....but I'm not aware
of anyplace in the US where you can ride
90 MPH on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
While those earlier model 400s have the reputation for oil usage at speed, even some of the newer ones have experienced. My '09 didn't tighten up until over 10k miles. Up to then, I guarantee a tankful going 90 would have required oil. It can be real easy to scrap a motor under those conditions if not diligent about checking the oil often (more often even, than just at fill-ups). Sorry but, it seams you've learned this the hard way:(

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Agreed -- 90 mph needs more frequent look up.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
First time it broke down, it was likely my fault. First vehicle ever so didn't do proper maintenance. Second time, I think the shop did a botched job the first time

Did everything I could to prevent a third. I do ride fairly hard though (at least 90 mph usually). Not sure if that was a factor
The first thing to do is post up whereabouts you live, because there is a good chance that someone with suitable Burgman knowledge from this forum lives fairly near to you and maybe is available to come and listen to your bike and post the results on here for further scrutiny. Do not trust dealers.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dealers are stealers, most will give you the worst possible diagnosis...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm wondering where you live that you can
run that kind of speed. I know that there are
places in W. Texas & Montana where speeds
are posted at 80 MPH.....but I'm not aware
of anyplace in the US where you can ride
90 MPH on a regular basis.
If he was showing 90, likely actually 81 and within the allowance many troopers will give over a posted, and fairly common 75.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts