Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

? 26 ft pounds of torque on stopper bolt

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  mradtke 
#1 ·
I just picked up my stopper bolt from the dealer. I asked him if many folks change over to the new one ? He said that this was the first bolt he has ever ordered since he's been in business in many years. Says he never heard of a problem with this bolt. Anyway, I was surprised as to how small of a bolt it is. If it was an sae thread it would be a 5/16-24 So just for kicks I took a 5/16-24 bolt and nut ,clamped it in the vice,set my torque wrench to 26 foot pounds and started tighting and before I reached 26 lbs, the bolt twisted clean off. Now I'm worried! I understand that the metric bolt is a better bolt .but putting it in a softer metal. See my fear? Any advise? Am I missing something? Any body? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
There is no Stopper Bolt on a 400...the stopper bolt issue
is only the 650's....& I believe the torque spec
is for INCH pounds...not Foot pounds.......

#6 ·
When you first posted the question,
your avatar showed you had a 400...
now it is changed to a 650...
that left some of us confused

#8 ·
Ernie M said:
I just picked up my stopper bolt from the dealer. I asked him if many folks change over to the new one ? He said that this was the first bolt he has ever ordered since he's been in business in many years. Says he never heard of a problem with this bolt. Anyway, I was surprised as to how small of a bolt it is. If it was an sae thread it would be a 5/16-24 So just for kicks I took a 5/16-24 bolt and nut ,clamped it in the vice,set my torque wrench to 26 foot pounds and started tighting and before I reached 26 lbs, the bolt twisted clean off. Now I'm worried! I understand that the metric bolt is a better bolt .but putting it in a softer metal. See my fear? Any advise? Am I missing something? Any body? Thanks in advance.
First all the bolts on the bike should be metric not standard. Yes the manual says 26 ft lbs, but go here https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/ and see the procedure.

#9 ·
First , I have 2,TWO burgmans one is a 400cc the other is a 650cc . Second, I used 5/16-24 as an example ONLY!! third , I was simplly asking if the info is correct and stated a fact that 26 FOOT Pounds seems like alot for a small bolt. WOW !! Sorry ,I won't ask anything else. Thanks

#10 ·
Ernie M said:
First , I have 2,TWO burgmans one is a 400cc the other is a 650cc . Second, I used 5/16-24 as an example ONLY!! third , I was simplly asking if the info is correct and stated a fact that 26 FOOT Pounds seems like alot for a small bolt. WOW !! Sorry ,I won't ask anything else. Thanks
Ernie,
26ft pounds is correct. I have changed and checked my stopper bolt many times. Ledude's tutorial will also tell you 26ft pounds.
Also, you cannot take some of the members comments personally. When you read a post you may interpret it differently than the writer
intended it to be. As you will find out, there are many different opinions on almost every topic. Ledude is your go to guy for maint issues.
Go to his burgman site and you will find out just about everything you need as far as maintaining your burgman.
This site has produced many invaluable answers to questions for me and also has pissed me off in many instances when people see things only
one way...their way...I think you will find over time that this site has 1 bad egg for every 1000 good eggs. Enjoy your Burgman and welcome to the family. :thumbup:
ps: all family members squabble.. :lol:

#11 ·
Ernie M said:
No need to get upset I was just saying that's the spec but reffering you to another source of information. :( The torque on a bolt depends on type of bolt (plain or plated and hardness) and available length of thread engagement. LeDude's site has the info you looking for and http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+CVT+Info# ... opper_Bolt has some more information on it too.

#12 ·
Ernie M said:
check this DIY for more details about the bolt and some how-to: DIY - Primary Pulley Bolt Maintenance

the correct torque for it is 26 lb-ft... not lb-inches...

as for changing to the newer longer bolt, you have to make sure that you have the newer type Primary Pulley that has been modified to accept the newer style bolt.

Ernie M said:
... WOW !! Sorry ,I won't ask anything else. Thanks
We all learn from one another... no point in getting upset over small things... just ask your questions and people will do their best to answer them...

#13 ·
I am sure there are other threads on this topic, but since this one is current and related, I will post this here.

I was going on a long trip last week (cancelled it) and decided to check the stopper bolt as part of the pre-trip maintenance. I replaced the original 06 stopper with the “improved’ 09 bolt at 13,976 miles. I was quite surprised to see the scared condition of the “improved” bolt after it had 19,646 miles on it.

I have attached some pictures, but the quality of them is very poor.

If you can see it in the photos, the 06 had two chips in it, a small one and a larger one, on one side of the bolt.

The 09 bolt has four chips in it, two on one side and two on the opposite side. It also has a small 5th scaring on one side next to two of the chips. I do not understand why it would have chips on both sides and the 06 only on one side. Has anyone else had this pattern on their stopper bolts?

The condition of the 09 bolt vs the 06 bolt considering the mileages makes me wonder how “improved” the 09 bolts are.

I just installed another new 09 bolt tonight and to answer the original question, yes, I used 26 ftlbs on the three bolts.

Attachments

#14 ·
May I ask mr Ledude, How do you know if you have the old or new version primary pulley assembly ? My 650 has a manufacturing date of 9/08 The new bolt I picked from the dealer is the one with the 6 or 9 on it. The one in the bike now is plain with no marking at all. the new picture you show shows a black colored bolt for the new version primary assembly. Thanks

#15 ·
Ernie M said:
May I ask mr Ledude, How do you know if you have the old or new version primary pulley assembly ? My 650 has a manufacturing date of 9/08 The new bolt I picked from the dealer is the one with the 6 or 9 on it. The one in the bike now is plain with no marking at all. the new picture you show shows a black colored bolt for the new version primary assembly. Thanks
Take the old bolt out and it will tell you exactly what you have.
If I had to guess, you probably have the old style primary with the old style bolt. I believe they made the switch for the 2011+ models.

#16 ·
I am sure you have the old style since the new primary was not introduced until 2011. You can just look at the bolt head of the stopper bolt (don't even have to remove it) and if it is NOT black in color, you have the old style primary.

#18 ·
Ernie M said:
Unless the primary assembly has been replaced in the CVT since new then it would be the old style. You can pull the stopper bolt and measure it and the depth of the hole. The 2011 black one is about 2mm longer than the silver or gold bolts and won't fit the earlier primaries.

#19 ·
Thank you all ! I took out the factor bolt and replaced it this afternoon without a problem. Even torqued it to 26 ft pounds. The old bolt had no marks on it at all on the top so I quess i'll just hang on to it. The bike has just turned over to 10k miles. also did cvt filter while I was in there. Oil,trans oil and gear oil has been changed along with all three filters,oil,air,cvt. Hopefully it should go awhile without any problems. Thanks again, Ernie :thumbup:

#20 ·
After reading all the information on this subject I have a question. How durable is the new black stopper bolt? How often would you suggest checking it? I had a 2009 650 and now have a 2012 650.

#21 ·
Marv said:
How durable is the new black stopper bolt?
The flat spots on either side of the tip in this photo is wear.

#22 ·
Marv said:
After reading all the information on this subject I have a question. How durable is the new black stopper bolt? How often would you suggest checking it? I had a 2009 650 and now have a 2012 650.
check it at 7.5 and 15k miles service, it is very easy to take out and inspect, a 10 minutes job at best.

You will be the first to report back on the new bolt with the new pulley... hopefully you won't see any damage/wear with the new design.

#24 ·
Gbjbany said:
Here's mine as i serviced today small wear on one side
7,300 miles?

#26 ·
41,240 mi. of service with this one on my '03 650. Looks worse than it really
is with just a flake of plating worn off. Replaced it anyway. The bike has never
been "dogged", and I never use the shifter or the power button (wimp).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.