Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all other factors being equal, i.e. riders weight, road surface, gear ratio, etc, would a 250 ( such as the Reflex or Helix ) respond to accelaration from a dead stop slower than a 650?

Does anyone know if the above mentioned scoots are less throttle sensative from a standstill than the 650?

My wife is not liking the touchyness of the 650 and is looking into the possibility of a 250 just for around town use.

Bill

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Bill said:
With all other factors being equal, i.e. riders weight, road surface, gear ratio, etc, would a 250 ( such as the Reflex or Helix ) respond to accelaration from a dead stop slower than a 650? Does anyone know if the above mentioned scoots are less throttle sensative from a standstill than the 650? My wife is not liking the touchyness of the 650 and is looking into the possibility of a 250 just for around town use.
Bill
To figure it out you have to know how much each bike weighs, and how much HP and torque they have at low RPMs. I had a 250 Elite, and it was about as fast off the line as my 650 is. But it was a much lighter bike, and I was lighter then, so the engine didn't have as much weight to get moving. I tested a yamaha majesty 400, and felt like it started off slower than my elite. But it was much heavier, and so was I.

After getting going, the larger HP machines have the advantage. My Elite wouldn't go any faster than 65mph with me on it. That majesty got to 85 real quick though. My 650 gets to 110 I assume, because you need all that HP to overcome the wind resistance.

If all she wants is an around-town scooter, then get a 250. My Elite was perfect for that. It was also cheaper, more efficient, easier to handle, etc.. Just don't plan on taking it anywhere you'll want to pass someone already doing 60.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Bill. Come on. Will a 250 respond similarly as 650 does?

Easy answer.

No.

The 250 is prolly WAY more gentile.

However, if you are riding together and the prsn on the 650 doesn't twist-as-much and WANTS to ride with the 250, I think that both would find a pretty cool scootering karma.

my flop fer ya.

me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For just around town, unless the rider is very heavy, I'd suggest a 150. Had one, liked it very much for anything under 60MPH. MUCH cheaper than most 250's, in my experience.

Also, consider a 400 so you can go on long trips together, if cost is not a big issue. I found the 650's throttle to be kinda touchy, too. But not the 400.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think that if you open both throttles, the 650 and 250, wide open the 650 will definately be more "sensetive" than the 250.

However, I can speak from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that engine size does NOT dictate throttle sensetivity.

My scooter is a Burgie 400. My wife's, an Aprilia Scarabeo 150. The 400 obviously has more power than the 150. But the Aprilia clutch locks up a lot more suddenly and translates to a lot more "sensetivity." In fact, it has caught me off guard a time or two. On the Scarabeo, you roll the throttle, the bike leaves the hole, then you hear the revs go down as the clutch locks up, then VOOM!!! Away you go.

But the Burgman 400 has what I consider a very "unsensetive" clutch. It locks up smoother than my Helix or the Scarabeo. It allows quite a bit of slip and you can't really tell when it locks up at all. IN fact, it takes over 3500RPM just to get the 400 to move. The 400 really doesn't come out of the hole with anything resembling "sensetivity" unless you give it over half throttle. If I have one complaint in reference to the 400, it's the soft response below 15MPH, but that's because of folks just like your wife.

Because of this, I would advise that she give the Burgie 400 a shot. It's less sensetive than the Helix or Scarabeo that I have experience with.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Bill said:
With all other factors being equal...would a 250 ( such as the Reflex or Helix ) respond to accelaration from a dead stop slower than a 650?

...My wife is not liking the touchyness of the 650 and is looking into the possibility of a 250 just for around town use.
It depends on what you mean by "respond to accelleration." How much throttle twist is required before the bike begins to move is a function of throttle cable adjustment, clutch force, etc. That has nothing to do with the size of the engine.

How fast it goes from 0 - 30 or 0 - 60 is dependent on engine size, if all else, as you said, is equal. Except for the rider's weight, though, it won't usually be equal. Smaller engines usually come on lighter bikes; so a 250 can be pretty fast off the line. It'll quit accellerating sooner than the bigger bike, though.

Bottom line; your wife should take some time to get used to the 650, but if she only wants an "around town" bike and never plans on extended highway riding then I'd lean toward the 250 for her. I used to have an Elite 250 and really liked it.

She could also split the difference and get a Burgman 400. It'll be easier around town, but can also manage freeway riding.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Pete said:
The 250 is prolly WAY more gentile.
Gentile: someone who's not Jewish
Gentle: considerate, kind, not harsh, easily managed, docile

or did you mean?:

Genteel: Refined in manner; well-bred and polite

(hopefully you didn't mean 'genital')

:D
The grammar nazi,

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
the latter, dorkwad :arrow: :) .

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Honda Reflex is my only 250cc experience- The throttle is not 'overly sensitive' but it has enough power off the line to keep up with anyone (unless they're intentionally trying to 'jump out of the starting gate')!

Mine ran 75mph on the freeway- (stock, no K-mod)- with absolutely no problems. Doesn't have much left but she will run longer distances if you want it to.

Around town the Reflex was a DREAM- easy to manuever, light, fast enough for other traffic. Ergonomically, it's comfortable unless you have very long legs- and they're plenty big enough to be seen.

Light with fairing, so very strong winds can be a bit problematic. Loves 55 mile per hour back roads- have had the back end get "dancey" on corners at 65mph (not twisties) but that's typical for the suspension from what I hear. I also had mine at the factory pre-set.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 250 if it's what your wife wants- the throttle may be just part of the problem. The 650 is a big machine and she just may be uncomfortable on it.

Good luck-
NancyLu

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't find the throttle on the 650 to be overly sensitive. But every motorcycle or scooter model is different. I have found that when I buy a new machine, it takes about 1000 miles of riding to get comfortable with it. Complaints we see from new owners on operation of the scooters are often due to lack of experience in riding the machine. I found the engine braking, clutch disengagement, and low speed handling of the 650 awkward for the first few hundred miles. But once I figured out proper riding technique for this (very different) machine, I became completely comfortable with it. Now, I don't even think about those things, because I have adapted my riding reflexes to correspond with the way the scooter is designed and set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts