Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I fixed the overheating problem as it had an airlock in the radiator. But now the battery doesn't seem to be charging. It stays at 12v even with the engine on? I think it should go up to about 14v. I have changed the generator and still no joy....any advice? thanks

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Did you read voltage with the engine at idle or revved up. On the 400 and 650 spec voltage is not reached until the engine is at 5,000 rpm.

That said, even at idle the voltage should probably be more than 12 v.

You said you changed the generator. Did you check and/or change the regulator too.

If you have access to a service manual, there should be instructions in it to tell you how to test the output of the generator and the function of the regulator. All you will need is a multimeter and access to the plugs for the generator and regulator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I only have the 400 manual but pretty much the same. I,ll look through and see what it recommends. Checking the regulator will be the next step. Off with the covers again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After checking again and revving the engine higher the battery does seem to be charging. But its started smoking... see new thread about regulator bypass....thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts